- Volume 73 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Case of Synchronous Lung Adenocarcinoma and Extranodal Marginal Zone B-Cell Lymphoma of Mucosa-Associated Lymphoid Tissue (MALT) Type
- Jung, Chi Young (Department of Internal Medicine, Keimyung University School of Medicine) ;
- Kwon, Kun Young (Department of Pathology, Keimyung University School of Medicine)
- Received : 2012.04.10
- Accepted : 2012.05.18
- Published : 2012.07.30
Extranodal marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue type (extranodal MZL) is a distinct subgroup of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Pulmonary extranodal MZL is a rare entity and accounts for less than 0.5% of primary pulmonary malignancies. Only a few cases of simultaneous occurrence of lung cancer and pulmonary extranodal MZL have been reported. A 60-year-old woman was referred to our hospital with a pulmonary nodule. She was diagnosed with lung adenocarcinoma by percutaneous needle biopsy. The protrusions into the left main bronchus were found by accident while performing bronchoscopy during lung cancer evaluation. The bronchial lesions were diagnosed as extranodal MZL. Although the patient underwent surgical resection for the lung adenocarcinoma, the pulmonary extranodal MZL was left untreated; it was monitored during follow-up visits. To our knowledge, this is the first report of synchronous lung adenocarcinoma and primary extranodal MZL of the main bronchus.
- Armitage JO, Weisenburger DD. New approach to classifying non-Hodgkin's lymphomas: clinical features of the major histologic subtypes. Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Classification Project. J Clin Oncol 1998;16:2780-95.
- Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Stein H, Banks PM, Chan JK, Cleary ML, et al. A revised European-American classification of lymphoid neoplasms: a proposal from the International Lymphoma Study Group. Blood 1994;84:1361-92.
- Zucca E, Conconi A, Pedrinis E, Cortelazzo S, Motta T, Gospodarowicz MK, et al. Nongastric marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue. Blood 2003;101:2489-95.
- Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, Vardiman JW. World Health Organization classification of tumours: pathology and genetics of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon: IARC Press; 2001.
- Ahmed S, Siddiqui AK, Rai KR. Low-grade B-cell bronchial associated lymphoid tissue (BALT) lymphoma. Cancer Invest 2002;20:1059-68.
- Koss MN. Malignant and benign lymphoid lesions of the lung. Ann Diagn Pathol 2004;8:167-87.
- Travis WD, Brambilla E, Müller-Hermelink HK, Harris CC. World Health Organization classification of tumours: pathology and genetics of tumours of the lung, pleura, thymus and heart. Lyon: IARC Press; 2004.
- Wotherspoon AC, Isaacson PG. Synchronous adenocarcinoma and low grade B-cell lymphoma of mucosa associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) of the stomach. Histopathology 1995;27:325-31.
- Suzuki T, Akizawa T, Suzuki H, Kitazume K, Omine M, Mitsuya T. Primary tracheal mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma accompanying lung cancer. Common tumorigenesis or coincidental coexistence? Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2000;48:817-9.
- Chanel S, Burke L, Fiche M, Molina T, Lerochais JP, Icard P, et al. Synchronous pulmonary adenocarcinoma and extranodal marginal zone/low-grade B-cell lymphoma of MALT type. Hum Pathol 2001;32:129-32.
- Ichihara E, Tabata M, Takigawa N, Sato Y, Kondo E, Aoe M, et al. Synchronous pulmonary MALT lymphoma and pulmonary adenocarcinoma after metachronous gastric MALT lymphoma and gastric adenocarcinoma. J Thorac Oncol 2008;3:1362-3.
- Solomonov A, Zuckerman T, Goralnik L, Ben-Arieh Y, Rowe JM, Yigla M. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma presenting as an endobronchial tumor: report of eight cases and literature review. Am J Hematol 2008;83:416-9.
- Isaacson P, Wright DH. Malignant lymphoma of mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue. A distinctive type of B-cell lymphoma. Cancer 1983;52:1410-6.
- Oh SY, Kim WS, Kim JS, Kim SJ, Kwon HC, Lee DH, et al. Pulmonary marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of MALT type--what is a prognostic factor and which is the optimal treatment, operation, or chemotherapy?: Consortium for Improving Survival of Lymphoma (CISL) study. Ann Hematol 2010;89:563-8.
- Ahmed S, Kussick SJ, Siddiqui AK, Bhuiya TA, Khan A, Sarewitz S, et al. Bronchial-associated lymphoid tissue lymphoma: a clinical study of a rare disease. Eur J Cancer 2004;40:1320-6.
- Bae YA, Lee KS, Han J, Ko YH, Kim BT, Chung MJ, et al. Marginal zone B-cell lymphoma of bronchus-associated lymphoid tissue: imaging findings in 21 patients. Chest 2008;133:433-40.