- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of the education objectives of the dental hygiene department from core competencies-based perspective
핵심역량 기반 관점에서의 치위생(학)과 교육목표 분석
Choi, Gyu-Yil;Lee, Hyung-Suk
- Received : 2012.08.27
- Accepted : 2012.10.24
- Published : 2012.10.30
Objectives : It will be necessary to make statement about the competence targeted in the dental hygienic education that adopts the competence-based curriculum from the standpoint of core competence which the students need to be equipped with in the society. Methods : To achieve the education objective of Dental Hygienics, the information available on the website of the Korean Dental Association, universities and graduate schools were used, and the education objectives of the concerned universities which were posted in the websites of 82 universities from July to August, 2011 were analyzed. Results : C7 and C1 accounted for 21.1%, the highest percentage, in the core capability, while HP1 comprised 79.6% in the health improvement and disease prevention. CM1 stood at 73.7%, the highest percentage, in the community involvement(CM) area, and PC4 accounted for 90.8%, the highest percentage, in the patient care(PC) area. In the professional growth and development(PGD) area, PGD1 was the highest, followed by PGD3. In relation to the comments on the occupational types after graduation, 63.1% of respondents mentioned the dental hygienists at the school, while 33.3% did not make any comment on the dental hygienists. Conclusions It was necessary to re-establish the essential objectives of the graduates based on the competence as the accomplishments of studying and learning in the department of dental hygiene. It may be a useful method to set the competency-based education objective on the basis of the implementation ability and the level of graduates.
competencies-based education;competencies development;core competency;department of dental Hygiene;education objective
- Kim EK, Kim YJ, Kim CH, et al. Development direction and education standardizing of dental hygiene. Dental hygiene standardization researchers. Seoul:Joint project for Professor of Department Dental Hygiene Council in Korean Dental Hygiene Association;2005:1-4
- Kim YS. Study on the influential factors regarding achivement of clinical practice in dental hygiene. KSSH 2000;13(1):147-160.
- Lee CW. Professionalism of dentists and their recognition on the changing occupational environments[Master's thesis]. Daegu:The graduate school of Keimyung University;1997.
- Kim YJ. Analysis of educational objective of medical school and competency structure[Master's thesis]. Jeonju:The graduate school of Chonbuk National University;2009.
- Holmes G, Hooper N. Core competence and education. Higher Educ 2000;40: 247-258. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004003032197
- DeWald J. P, McCann A. L. Developing a competency-based curriculum for a dental hygiene program. J Dent Educ 1999;63(11):793-804.
- American Dental Hygienist's Association. Competencies for the advanced dental hygiene practitioner(ADHP). Adopted March 10, 2008 by the ADHA Board of Trustees; 2008:2-32.
- American Dental Education Association. Competencies for entry into the profession of dental hygiene(As approved by the 2003 House of Delegates). J Dent Educ 2004;68(7):745-749.
- Chun KH. Development of a competency based medical education model[Doctor's thesis]. Daegu:The graduate school of Kyungpook national university;2010.
- So KH. Curricular-historical base and its liberal nature of competence-based education. JCS 2009;27(1):1-20.
- Lee JY. Reflection on a methodoloy of developing competency-based curriculum: based on a case of curriculum development for improving marketing competency. JET 2002;18(4):25-56.
- So KH. "Competency" in the context of schooling: It's meaning and curricular implications. JCS 2007;25(3):1-21.
- Star C, Hammer S. Teaching generic skill: Eroding the higher purpose of universities, or an opportunity for renewal? Oxford review of education 2008;34(2):237-251. https://doi.org/10.1080/03054980701672232
- O'Connell W, Moomaw W. A CBC primer: Competency-based curriculum in general undergraduate program. Atlanta, GA: Southern Regional Education Board;1975:13-39.
- Baylor College of Dentistry. Competencies for the dental hygienist in 2011-2013 Course Catalogs. Dallas:Texas A&M Health Science Center;2012:155-340.
- Jung GO. The effects of dental-hygiene students'goal achievement orientation on their self-efficacy and major adaptation and satisfaction. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(1):167-177. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.167