- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A study on the effect of self-efficacy and stress-coping method of dental hygienist
치과위생사의 자기효능감이 스트레스 대처방식에 미치는 영향
Won, Young-Soon;Park, So-Young;Kim, Jeong-Suk
- Received : 2012.07.17
- Accepted : 2012.10.20
- Published : 2012.10.30
Objectives : The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of the self-efficacy of dental hygienists on their stress-coping method. Methods : The subjects in this study were the dental hygienists in dental institutions that were selected by convenience sampling from Jeonju, Iksan, Gimjei and Gunsan in North Jeolla Province. A survey was conducted by using structured questionnaires. Results : A regression analysis was carried out to see whether self-efficacy would affect stress-coping method, and it's found that those whose overall self-efficacy was better made more use of an overall stress-coping method(p>0.001). General and social self-efficacy exerted a significant influence on a problem-oriented stress-coping method(p>0.001, p>0.01), and general and social self-efficacy had an impact on a stress-coping method of social support pursuit(p>0.01, p>0.01). In addition, general and social self-efficacy exercised an influence on a stress-coping method of wishful thinking(p>0.01, p>0.05). Conclusions : The self-efficacy of the dental hygienists affected their own stress-coping method, and the finding of the study suggests that a lot of efforts should be made from diverse angles to boost the self-efficacy of dental hygienists.
- Lee HO, Ju OJ, Kim YL. An analysis on factors related to the job satisfaction of Dental Hygienists at J Region. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(2):65-72.
- Lee IC. Job stress of youth companion and relationship with job satisfaction and psychological burnout- Control effect of self-efficacy and stress disposal method-[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Kwangwoon University;2010.
- Min SY. Chaung SK. Self sfficacy and stress coping strategies of nursing students. J Korean Acad Psych Mental Health Nurs 2006;15(3):299-307.
- Bandura. A. Social foundation of thought and action:A social cognitive theory. Englewood Cliffs. 1st ed. New York:Prentice-Hall;1986:87-98.
- Lee JW. A correlational study of adolescent smoking, environmental factors, stress and self efficacy[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Hanyang University;1997.
- Jeong SA. An analysis on the relationship between elementary school student's self-efficacy, thier academic achievement and adjustmaent of school life[Master's thesis]. Chuncheon:The graduate school of Kangwon National University;1998.
- Han KK. Self efficacy, health promoting behaviors, and symptoms of stress among university students. J Korean Acad Nurs 2005;35(3):585-592.
- Yoo KH, Cho NO, Um YR. A study on the correlation between self-efficacy and level of coping in nursing students. J Soonchunhyang Med Coll 1997;3(2):679-688.
- Nam YO, Ju OJ, Kang HS, et al. A study on the relationship between self-esteem, perceived stress Level and stress-coping pattern during scaling practice. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(4):580-592.
- Kim JH, Kim HJ. Relationship between turnover and job stress of dental hygienists. J Dent Hyg Sci 2011;11(1):47-53.
- Lim MH, Ku IY, Choi HY. A study on the relationship of self-efficacy to stressors and stress adaptation in dental hygiene students. J Korean Soc Dent hyg 2011;11(5):811-822.
- Sherer M, Maddux JE, Mercandante B, et al. The self-efficacy scale:Construction and validation. Psychological reports 1982;51(2):663-671. https://doi.org/10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1993
- Hong HY. The relationships of perfectionism, self-efficacy and depression[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Ewha Womans University;1995.
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S. If it changes it must be a process:study of emotion and coping during three stages of a college examination. J Pers Soc Psychol 1985;48(1):150-170. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- Kim JH. Relations of perceived stress, cognitive set, and coping behaviors to depression[Doctor's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Seoul National University;1987.
- Moos RH, Billings AG. Coping, stress and social resource among adult with unipolar depression. J Pers Soc Psychol 1984;46(4):877-891. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2067
- Yoon JA, Yoon YS. Comparing with self-efficacy and knowledge, attitudes about radiation safety management of dental hygienists and students at department of dental hygiene. J Korean Soc Dent hyg 2011;11(5):729-739.
- Jung HK, Kim SC. The relationship between self-efficacy and job satisfaction of dental technicians. J Korean Acad Oral Health 2010;34(4):533-561.
- Kim MJ. Relationships among parental child-rearing attitudes perceived by children, self-efficacy, and stress coping behaviors[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Sungshin Woman's University;2003.
- Kim KH, Kim SA. The self-perceived stress level and coping method of dental hygienists. J Korean Acad Dent Hyg Educ 2000;2(2):123-135.
- Lee AK. A study on factors of stress and stress coping style according to self-efficacy [Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Sangmyung University;2009.
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy:toward a unifying theory of behavioral change. Psychol Rev 1977;84(2):191-215. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-295X.84.2.191
- Kim YJ. The effects of self-efficacy on stress-coping methods[Master's thesis]. Daegu:The graduate school of Catholic University of Taegu-Hyosung;2000.
- Kim YS. The purpose of this study was Ts self-efficacy and stress coping behavior of university athlete. Korean J Physical Educ 1999;38(4):130-137.
- Cho KS. A study on relationship of perceived stress, ways of coping, social support, stress symptoms of nurses[Master's thesis]. Seoul:The graduate school of Korea University;1997.
- Chwalisz K, Altmaier EM, Russelln DW. Causal attributions self-efficacy cognition, and coping with stress. J Soc Clin Psychol 1992;11:377-400. https://doi.org/10.1521/jscp.19220.127.116.117
- Yoon US. Analytic review of self-efficacy and academic achievement. Korean Educational Res Assoc 1998;36(3):65-82.
- Self-efficacy and stress coping method of students in the department of dental hygiene in some areas vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.01.67
- Effect of self-resilience and self-efficiency on the satisfaction with major in dental hygiene students vol.14, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.02.155