- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Relationship between occupational stress and musculoskeletal symptoms of upper extremities among dental hygienists
치과위생사의 직무스트레스와 상지 근골격계 증상의 관련성
- Lee, So-Young (Department of Dental Hygiene, Taegu Science University) ;
- Ko, Hyo-Jin (Department of Oral Health, Graduate School, Kosin University) ;
- Yu, Byeng-Chul (Department of Preventive Medicine, College of Medicine, Kosin University)
- Received : 2012.07.11
- Accepted : 2012.10.20
- Published : 2012.10.30
Objectives : This study was purposed to estimate prevalence of upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms, level of occupational stress and their relationship among dental hygienists. Methods : This questionnaire study was performed during May to October 2010 with 317 dental hygienists worked in Busan and Gyeongsangnam-do recruited as study population. The occupational stress and upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms were accessed using questionnaire of the Korean Occupational Stress Scale and musculoskeletal symptoms from the Korea Occupational Safety Health Agency. Data analysis was performed with the descriptive analysis, chi-square test, and multiple logistic regression analysis using SPSS(ver 19.0K)program. Results : The prevalence of upper extremity musculoskeletal symptoms and the level of occupational stress were 79.2% and
Supported by : 대구과학대학교
- Peter AL, Ureporn K, Derek RS. Occupational health problems in morden dentistry: a review. Industrial Health 2007;45:611-621. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.45.611
- Putz AV. Recognizing Cumulative Trauma Disorders. In: Cumulative Trauma Disorders: a Mannual for Musculoskeletal Disease of the Upper Limbs. Bristol:Taylor&Francis Inc.;1994:3-31.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. National occupational illnesses by category of illness, private industry. U.S.:Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics;2000.
- Ministry of Employment and Labor. Annual status of industrial accidents. Seoul: Ministry of Employment and Labor;2008:23-25.
- Martha JS. Preventing Work-Related MSDs in Dental Hygienists. In: Ergonomics and the Management of Musculoskeletal Disorders. 2nd ed. St.Louis:Butterworth Heinemann;1997:448-469.
- Min JL, Cho YS, Jeon MJ, Kim DK, Lee BJ. Musculoskeletal symptoms of dental hygienist in Seoul, South Korea. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(3):396-406.
- Park JR, Park JY. A study on the factors that affect dental hygienist's work related musculoskeletal symptoms. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2007;31(3):416-431.
- Kim JH, Yoo WK. Subjective symptoms and risk assessment of musculoskeletal disoders of the dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg 2012;12(1):67-79. https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2012.12.1.067
- Anton D, Rosecrance J, Merlino L, Cook T. Prevalence of musculoskeletal symptoms and carpal tunnel syndrome among dental hygienists. Am J Ind Med 2002;42(3): 248-257. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.10110
- Sunell S, Rucker L. Ergonomic risk factors. Probe 2003;37(4):159-166.
- Rampel DM, Janowitz IL. Ergonomics & the Prevention of Occupational Injuries. In: Current Occupational & Environmental Medicine. 4th ed. USA:The McGraw-Hill Companies;2007:151-174.
- Hayes M, Cockrell D, Smith DR. A systemic review of musculoskeletal disorders among dental professionals. Int J Dent Hyg 2009;7(3):159-165. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1601-5037.2009.00395.x
- Malchaire J, Cock N, Vergracht S. Review of the factors associated with musculoskeletal problems in epidemiological studies. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2001;74(2):79-90. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004200000212
- de Zwart BC, Frings-Dresen MH, Kilbom A. Gender differences in upper extremity musculoskeletal complaints in the working population. Int Arch Occup Environ Health 2001;74(1):21-30.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health(NIOSH). Stress at work (No. 99-101). Cicinnati:DHHS(NIOSH);1999:1-25.
- Lee EC, Kim HC, Jung DY, et al. Association between job-stress and VDT work, and musculoskeleltal symptoms of neck and shoulder among white-collar workers. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2007;19(3):187-195.
- Bongers PM, De winter CR, Kompier MA, Hildebrandt VH. Psychosocial factors at work and musculoskeletal disease. Scand J Work Environ Health 1993;19(5):297-312. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.1470
- Yoon SU, Kim JS. Relations between emotional labor and job stress among some dental hygienists. J Korean Soc Dent Hyg. 2011;11(2):179-188.
- Park JR, Lee YK. A study on the job stress and job satisfaction of the dental hygienists working in dental clinics or dental hospitals in Seoul and the Gyeongnam region. J Korean Acad Dent Health 2009;33(2):309-320.
- Jung JO, Song KS. A study on job stress and job satisfaction of dental hygienists working in dental clinics. J Dent Hyg Sci 2008;8(4):305-312.
- Mazzola JJ, Schonfeld IS, Spector PE. What qualitative research has taught us about occupational stress. Stress Health 2011;27:93-110. https://doi.org/10.1002/smi.1386
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency(KOSHA). Musculoskeleltal symptom questionnaire. KOSHA CODE(H-30-2003). Incheon:KOSHA;2003:1-24.
- Jang EC, Kim HJ, Kwon YJ, et al. The prevalence of cumulative trauma disorders of upper extremities among watch assembly workers in some small-scaled industry. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2000;12(4):457-472.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health(NIOSH). Health hazard report. U.S.:NIOSH;1993:188-456.
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM, et al. Developing and occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2005;17(4):297-317.
- Yoon JW, Yi KJ, Kim SY, Oh JG, Lee JT. The relationship between occupational stress and musculoskeletal symptoms in call center employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2007;19(4):293-303.
- Jo MH, Kim KS, Lee SW, et al. The relationship between job stress and musculoskeletal symptoms in migrant workers. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2009;21(4):378-387.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health(NIOSH). In Putz-Anderson V. Cummulative trauma disorders: a manual for musculoskeletal disease of upper limbs. U.S.:NIOSH;1988:1-31.
- Jeon MJ, Sakong J, Lee JJ, Lee HK, Chung JH. Assessment of job related cumulative trauma disorders of dentists in Daegu metropolitan city. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2001;13(1):55-63.
- Woo NH, Kim SY. Job stress and work-related musculoskeletal symptoms of general hospital nurses. Korean J Occup Health Nurs 2009;18(2):270-280.
- Lee HO, Ju OJ, Kim YI. An analysis on factors related to the job satisfaction of dental hygienists at J region. J Dent Hyg Sci 2007;7(2):65-72.
- Son JI, Lee SJ, Song JC, Park HB. A study on the relationship between subjective symptoms and psychological symptoms on some VDT workers. Korean J of Preventive Med 1995;28(2):433-449.
- Park SK, Choi YJ, Moon DH, et al. Work related musculoskeletal disorders of hairdresser. Korean J Occup Environ Med 2000;12(3):395-404.
- Han JH, Kim J, Nam SH, Kim CH. A correlation between the perceived symptom of musculoskeletal diseases and psychosocial factors of dental professionals in C region. J Dent Hyg Sci 2010;10(4):279-286.
- Kim JH, Kim HJ. A study on the musculoskeletal pain experience of dental hygienist's treatment postur. J Dent Hyg Sci 2009;9(4):413-418.
- Faucett J, Rempel D. VDT-Related musculoskeletal symptoms : Interactions between work posture and psychosocial work factors. Am J Ind Med 1994;26(5):597-612. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajim.4700260503
- Relationship between emotional labor and occupational stress of dental counselor vol.13, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2013.13.05.727
- Relationship between job-stress and temporomandibular joint disorder in dental hygienists vol.14, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2014.14.03.381
- Work-related stress and depressive symptoms among dental hygienists vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.13065/jksdh.2015.15.05.917
- The relationship between musculoskeletal pain and social-psychological factors among dental practitioners vol.41, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11149/jkaoh.2017.41.2.137