- Volume 37 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Development of Signal Processing Circuit for Side-absorber of Dual-mode Compton Camera
이중 모드 컴프턴 카메라의 측면 흡수부 제작을 위한 신호처리회로 개발
- Seo, Hee (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Park, Jin-Hyung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Park, Jong-Hoon (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Young-Su (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Chan-Hyeong (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Ju-Hahn (Department of Physics, Chung-Ang University) ;
- Lee, Chun-Sik (Department of Physics, Chung-Ang University)
- 서희 (한국원자력연구원) ;
- 박진형 (한양대학교 원자력공학과) ;
- 박종훈 (한양대학교 원자력공학과) ;
- 김영수 (한양대학교 원자력공학과) ;
- 김찬형 (한양대학교 원자력공학과) ;
- 이주한 (중앙대학교 물리학과) ;
- 이춘식 (중앙대학교 물리학과)
- Received : 2011.09.08
- Accepted : 2012.02.22
- Published : 2012.03.30
In the present study, a gamma-ray detector and associated signal processing circuit was developed for a side-absorber of a dual-mode Compton camera. The gamma-ray detector was made by optically coupling a CsI(Tl) scintillation crystal to a silicon photodiode. The developed signal processing circuit consists of two parts, i.e., the slow part for energy measurement and the fast part for timing measurement. In the fast part, there are three components: (1) fast shaper, (2) leading-edge discriminator, and (3) TTL-to-NIM logic converter. AC coupling configuration between the detector and front-end electronics (FEE) was used. Because the noise properties of FEE can significantly affect the overall performance of the detection system, some design criteria were presented. The performance of the developed system was evaluated in terms of energy and timing resolutions. The evaluated energy resolution was 12.0% and 15.6% FWHM for 662 and 511 keV peaks, respectively. The evaluated timing resolution was 59.0 ns. In the conclusion, the methods to improve the performance were discussed because the developed gamma-ray detection system showed the performance that could be applicable but not satisfactory in Compton camera application.
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- Todd RW, Nightingale JM and Everett DR. Proposed gamma camera. Nature 251:132-134; 1974. https://doi.org/10.1038/251132a0
- Seo H, Kim CH, Park JH, Kim JK, Lee JH, Lee CS, Lee JS. Development of double-scattering-type Compton camera with double-sided silicon strip detectors and NaI(Tl) scintillation detector. Nucl. Instr. and Meth. A 615(3):333-339; 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.02.060
- Seo H, Park JH, Kim JK, Kim CH, Lee JH, Lee CS, Kim SM, Lee JS. Multi-tracing capability of double- scattering Compton imager using NaI(Tl) scintillator absorber. IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. 57(3):1420-1425; 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2009.2035806
- 서희, 박진형, 김찬형, 이주한, 이춘식, 이재성. 이중산란형 컴프턴 카메라 구성 검출기 성능 평가. 방사선방어학회지 35(2):69-76; 2010.
- Park JH, Seo H, Kim YS, Kim CH, Lee JH, Lee CS, Kim SM, Lee JS. Monte Carlo simulations on performance of double-scattering Compton camera. J. Instrum. (submitted).
- Knoll GF. Radiation detection and measurement. 4th ed. New York; John Wiley and Sons. 2010:237.
- Short course lecture note. Radiation Detection and Measurement. 2010 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium and Medical Imaging Conference.