- Volume 3 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Numerical verification of a dual system's seismic response
- Phocas, Marios C. (Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Cyprus) ;
- Sophocleous, Tonia (Department of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering, University of Cyprus)
- Received : 2011.10.10
- Accepted : 2012.04.09
- Published : 2012.09.25
Structural control through integration of passive damping devices within the building structure has been increasingly implemented internationally in the last years and has proven to be a most promising strategy for earthquake safety. In the present paper an alternative configuration of an innovative energy dissipation mechanism that consists of slender tension only bracing members with closed loop and a hysteretic damper is investigated in its dynamic behavior. The implementation of the adaptable dual control system, ADCS, in frame structures enables a dual function of the component members, leading to two practically uncoupled systems, i.e., the primary frame, responsible for the normal vertical and horizontal forces and the closed bracing-damper mechanism, for the earthquake forces and the necessary energy dissipation. Three representative international earthquake motions of differing frequency contents, duration and peak ground acceleration have been considered for the numerical verification of the effectiveness and properties of the SDOF systems with the proposed ADCS-configuration. The control mechanism may result in significant energy dissipation, when the geometrical and mechanical properties, i.e., stiffness and yield force of the integrated damper, are predefined. An optimum damper ratio, DR, defined as the ratio of the stiffness to the yield force of the hysteretic damper, is proposed to be used along with the stiffness factor of the damper's- to the primary frame's stiffness, in order for the control mechanism to achieve high energy dissipation and at the same time to prevent any increase of the system's maximum base shear and relative displacements. The results are summarized in a preliminary design methodology for ADCS.
- Chan, R.W. and Albermani, F. (2008), "Experimental study of steel slit damper for passive energy dissipation", Eng. Struct., 30(4), 1058-1066. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.07.005
- CSI, SAP2000NL. Structural Analysis Programs (2010), Theoretical and users manual, Release No. 14.00, Computers & Structures Inc., Berkely, CA.
- Dargush, G.F. and Soong, T.T. (1995), "Behavior of metallic plate dampers in seismic passive energy dissipation systems", Earthq. Spectra, 11(4), 545-568. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585827
- Di Sarno, L. and Elnashai, A.S. (2005), "Innovative strategies for seismic retrofitting of steel and composite structures", Progr. Struct. Eng. Mat., 7(3), 115-135. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.195
- Filiautrault, A. and Cherry, S. (1988), "Comparative performance of friction damped systems and base isolation systems for earthquake retrofit and aseismic design", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 16(3), 389-416. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290160308
- Ghabraie, K., Chan, R., Huang, X. and Xie, Y.M. (2010), "Shape optimization of metallic yielding devices for passive mitigation of seismic energy", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 2258-2267. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.03.028
- Housner, G.W., Bergman, L.A., Caughey, T.K., Chassiakos, A.G., Claus, R.O. and Masri, S.F., Skelton, R.E., Soong, T.T., Spencer, B.F. and Yao, J.P.T. (1997), "Structural control: past, present and future", J. Eng. Mech.- ASCE, 123(9), 897-971. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(1997)123:9(897)
- Kurata, M., DesRoches, R. and Leon, R.T. (2008), "Cable damper bracing for partial seismic rehabilitation", Proceedings of 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China.
- Lavan, O. and Levy, R. (2010), "Performance based optimal seismic retrofitting of yielding plane frames using added viscous damping", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 307-326. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.307
- Li, H.N. and Li, G. (2007), "Experimental study of structure with "dual function" metallic dampers", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 1917-1928. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.10.007
- Martelli, A. (2007), "Seismic isolation and energy dissipation: worldwide application and perspectives", Brebbia, C.A. (ed.), Earthquake Resistant Engineering Structures VI, WIT Press, Southampton, 105-116.
- Mualla, I.H. and Belev, B. (2002), "Performance of steel frames with a new friction damper device under earthquake excitation", Eng. Struct., 24(3), 365-371. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(01)00102-X
- Nakashima, M., Saburi, K. and Tsuji, B. (1996), "Energy input and dissipation behavior of structures with hysteretic dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(12), 483-496. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199605)25:5<483::AID-EQE564>3.0.CO;2-K
- Phocas, M.C. and Pocanschi, A. (2003), "Steel frames with bracing mechanism and hysteretic dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 32(5), 811-825. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.253
- Phocas, M.C. and Sophocleous, T. (2011), "Adaptable dual control systems for earthquake resistance", Brebbia, C.A. and Maugeri, M. (eds.), Earthquake Resistant Engineering Structures VIII, WIT Press, Southampton, 55-66.
- Renzi, E., Perno, S., Pantanella, S. and Ciampi, V. (2007), "Design, test and analysis of a light-weight dissipative bracing system for seismic protection of structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 36(4), 519-539. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.641
- Sophocleous, T. and Phocas, M.C. (2011), "Dual structure configuration for earthquake resistance", Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Structural Dynamics, EURODYN 2011, Leuven, Belgium.
- Symans, M.D., Charney, F.A., Whittaker, A.S., Constantinou, C., Kircher, C.A. and Johnson, M.W. and McNamara, R.J. (2008), "Energy dissipation systems for seismic applications: current practice and recent developments", Struct. Eng., 134(1), 3-21. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2008)134:1(3)
- Tsai, K.C., Chen, H.W., Hong, C.P. and Su, Y.F. (1993), "Design of steel triangular plate energy absorbers for seismic-resistance construction", Earthq. Spectra, 9, 505-528. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585727
- Controlling Residual Drift in BRBFs by Combining SCCBFs in Parallel vol.32, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0001191