- Volume 3 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effect of ground motion characteristics on the pure friction isolation system
- Nanda, Radhikesh P. (Department of Civil Engineering, NIT Durgapur) ;
- Shrikhande, Manish (Department of Earthquake Engineering, IIT Roorkee) ;
- Agarwal, Pankaj (Department of Earthquake Engineering, IIT Roorkee)
- Received : 2011.09.09
- Accepted : 2011.12.04
- Published : 2012.04.25
The performance of pure friction isolation system with respect to the frequency bandwidth of excitation and the predominant frequency is investigated. A set of earthquake ground motions (artificial as well as recorded [with different combinations of magnitude-distance and local site geology]) is considered for investigating effectiveness of pure friction isolators. The results indicate the performance of pure friction base isolated system does not only depend upon coefficient of friction and mass ratio but the stick-slip behaviour depends upon the frequency content of the excitation as well. Slippage prevails if the excitation frequency lies in a suitable frequency range. This range widens with increasing mass ratio. For larger mass ratios, the sliding effect is more pronounced and the maximum acceleration response is further reduced in the neighbourhood of frequency ratio (
- Ahmad, S., Ghani, F. and Adil, R. (2009), "Seismic friction base isolation performance using demolished waste in masonry housing", Constr. Build. Mater., 23(1), 146-152. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2008.01.012
- Ariga, T., Kanno, Y. and Takewaki, I. (2006), "Resonant behavior of base-isolated high-rise buildings under long-period ground motions", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 15(3), 325-338 https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.298
- Christopoulos, C. and Filiatrault, A. (2006), Principle of passive supplemental damping and seismic isolation, IUSS Press, University of Pavia, Italy.
- Hanson, R.D. and Soong, T.T. (2001), Seismic design with supplemental energy dissipation devices, EERI, Oakland, CA.
- Indian Standard: 1893 (Part 1) (2002), Criteria for earthquake resistant design of buildings, BIS, New Delhi.
- Jangid, R.S. (1996), "Seismic response of sliding structures to bi-directional earthquake excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(11), 1301-1306. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199611)25:11<1301::AID-EQE618>3.0.CO;2-3
- Jangid, R.S. (2005), "Computational numerical models for seismic response of structures isolated by sliding systems." Struct. Control Hlth. Monit., 12(1), 117-137. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.59
- Kramer, S.L. (2004), Geotechnical earthquake engineering, Pearson Education Pvt. Ltd., Delhi.
- Masashi, I., Matsui, K. and Kosaka, I. (1992), "Analytical expressions for three different modes in harmonic motion of sliding structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 21(9), 757-769. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210902
- Moler, C.B. (2004), Numerical Computing with MATLAB, SIAM, Philadelphia.
- Mostaghel, N. and Tanbakuchi, J. (1983), "Response of sliding structure to earthquake support motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 11(6), 729-748. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110603
- Mostaghel, N., Hejazi, M. and Tanbakuchi, J. (1983), "Response of sliding structures to harmonic support motion", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 11(3), 355-366. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110305
- Moustafa, A., Ueno, K. and Takewaki, I. (2010), "Critical earthquake loads for SDOF inelastic structures considering evolution of seismic waves", Earthq. Struct., 1(2), 147-162. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.2.147
- Naeim, F. and Kelly, J.M. (1999), Design of seismic isolated structures, John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Nanda, R.P., Agarwal, P. and Shrikhande, M. (2010), "Frictional base isolation by geotextiles for brick masonry buildings", Geosynth. Int., 17(1), 48-55. https://doi.org/10.1680/gein.2010.17.1.48
- Nanda, R.P., Agarwal, P. and Shrikhande, M. (2011), "Base isolation by geosynthetic for brick masonry buildings", J. Vib. Control., 21 Sept. 2011, DOI: 10.1177/1077546311412411. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546311412411
- Nikolic-Brzev, S. (1993), "Seismic protection of multi-storey brick buildings by seismic isolation technique", Ph.D Thesis, Department of Earthquake Engineering, University of Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
- Oliveto, N.D., Scalia, G. and Oliveto, G. (2008), "Dynamic identification of structural system with viscous and friction damping", J. Sound Vib., 318(4-5), 911-926. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2008.04.026
- Ozbulut, O.E. and Hurlebaus, S. (2010), "Evaluation of the performance of a sliding-type base isolation system with a NiTi shape memory alloy device considering temperature effects", Eng. Struct., 32(1), 238-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2009.09.010
- Qamaruddin, M. and Ahmad, S. (2007), "Seismic response of pure-friction base isolation masonry building with restricted base sliding", J. Eng. Res., 4(1), 82-94. https://doi.org/10.24200/tjer.vol4iss1pp82-94
- Shakib, H. and Fuladgar, A. (2003), "Effect of vertical component of earthquake on the response of pure-friction base-isolated asymmetric buildings", Eng. Struct., 25(14), 1841-1850. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.08.008
- Soong, T.T. and Dargush, G.F. (1997), Passive energy dissipation systems in structural engineering, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- Takewaki, I. (2001), "A new method for nonstationary random critical excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 30(4), 519-535. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.21
- Takewaki, I. (2007), Critical Excitation Methods in Earthquake Engineering, Elsevier, UK.
- Takewaki, I. (2008), "Robustness of base-isolated high-rise buildings under code-specified ground motions", Struct. Des. Tall Spec., 17(2), 257-271. https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.350
- Takewaki, I. (2009), Building control with passive dampers: -optimal performance-based design for earthquakes, John Wiley & Sons Ltd. (Asia).
- Tsopelas, P., Constantinou, M.C., Kim, Y.S. and Okamoto, S. (1996), "Experimental study of FPS system in bridge seismic isolation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 25(1), 65-78. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1096-9845(199601)25:1<65::AID-EQE536>3.0.CO;2-A
- Vanmarcke, E.H. (1976), Structural response to earthquakes., Eds. C. Lomnitz and E. Rosenblueth, Seismic Risk and Engineering Decisions, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
- Westermo, B. and Udwadia, F. (1983), "Periodic response of a sliding oscillator system to harmonic excitation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 11(1), 135-146. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290110111
- New experimental system for base-isolated structures with various dampers and limit aspect ratio vol.5, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.4.461
- Geosynthetic Liner as Foundation Isolation for Seismic Protection vol.3, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40891-017-0098-2
- Low-Cost Base-Isolation System for Seismic Protection of Rural Buildings vol.21, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)SC.1943-5576.0000254