- Volume 3 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Seismic behavior of interior RC beam-column joints with additional bars under cyclic loading
- Lu, Xilin (State Key Laboratory of Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Urukap, Tonny H. (College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Li, Sen (College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Lin, Fangshu (College of Civil Engineering, Tongji University)
- Received : 2011.04.20
- Accepted : 2011.08.18
- Published : 2012.01.25
The behavior of beam-column joints in moment resisting frame structures is susceptible to damage caused by seismic effects due to poor performance of the joints. A good number of researches were carried out to understand the complex mechanism of RC joints considered in current seismic design codes. The traditional construction detailing of transverse reinforcement has resulted in serious joint failures during earthquakes. This paper introduces a new design philosophy involving the use of additional diagonal bars within the joint particularly suitable for low to medium seismic effects in earthquake zones. In this study, ten full-scale interior beam-column specimens were constructed with various additional reinforcement details and configurations. The results of the experiment showed that adding additional bars is a promising approach in reinforced concrete structures where earthquakes are eminent. In terms of overall cracking observation during the test, the specimens with additional bars (diagonal and straight) compared with the ones without them showed fewer cracks in the column. Furthermore, concrete confinement is certainly an important design measure as recommended by most international codes.
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of Chi
- ACI Committee 318 (2005), 318-05/318R-05: Building code requirements for structural concrete and commentary, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- ACI Committee 352 (2002), 352R-02: Recommendation for design of beam-column joints in monolithic reinforced concrete structures, American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI.
- Attaalla, S.A. (2004), "General analytical model for normal shear stress of type 2 normal and high strength concrete beam-column joints", ACI Struct. J., 101(1), 65-75.
- Au, F.T.K., Huang, K. and Pam, H.J. (2005), "Diagonally-reinforced beam-column joints reinforced under cyclic loading", Proc. Inst. Civil Eng. Struct. Build., 158(1), 21-40. https://doi.org/10.1680/stbu.2005.158.1.21
- Bindhu, K.R., Jaya, K.P. and Manicka Selvam, V.K. (2008). "Seismic resistance of exterior beam-column joints with non-conventional confinement reinforcement detailing", Struct. Eng. Mech., 30(6), 733-761. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.05.019
- Chalioris, C.E., Favvata, M.J. and Karayannis, C.G. (2008), "Reinforced concrete beam-column joints with crossed inclined bars under cyclic deformations", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(6), 881-897. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.793
- Chalioris, C.E., Karayannis, C.G. and Favvata, M.I. (2007), "Cyclic testing of reinforced concrete beam-columns joints with crossed inclined bars", Proceedings of the 13th Computational Methods and Experimental Measurements (CMEM), 623-632, Prague, Czech Republic.
- Cheung, P.C., Paulay, T. and Park, R. (1993), "Behavior of beam column joints in seismically-loaded RC frames", Struct. Eng., 71(8), 129-138.
- Eurocode 8 (2003), EN 1998-1:2003, Design provision for earthquake resistant structures. General rulesspecification rules for various materials and elements, European Committee for Standardization, Brussels.
- GB 50010-2002, Code for design of concrete structures, Construction Ministry of China.
- Ghobarah, A. and Said, A. (2001). "Seismic rehabilitation of beam-column joints using FRP laminates", J. Earthq. Eng., 5(1), 113-129.
- Hwang, S. and Lee, H. (1999), "Analytical model for predicting shear strengths of exterior reinforced concrete beam-column joints for seismic resistance", ACI Struct. J., 96(5), 846-857.
- Hwang, S. and Lee, H. (2000), "Analytical model for predicting shear strengths of interior reinforced concrete beam-column joints for seismic resistance", ACI Struct. J., 97(1), 35-44.
- Karayannis, C.G., Chalioris, C.E. and Sirkelis, G.M. (2008), "Local retrofit of exterior RC beam-column joints using thin RC jackets : an experimental study", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(5), 727-746. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.783
- Karayannis, C.G. and Sirkelis, G.M. (2002), "Effectiveness of RC beam-column connections strengthening using carbon-FRP jackets", Proceedings of the 12th European Conference on Earthquake Engineering, PR549, London, U.K.
- Karayannis, C.G. and Sirkelis, G.M. (2008), "Strengthening and rehabilitation of RC beam-column joints using carbon-FRP jacketing and epoxy resin injection", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 37(5), 769-790. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.785
- Karayannis, C.G., Sirkelis, G.M. and Chalioris, C.E. (2006), "Seismic performance of RC beam-column joints retrofitted using light RC jacket-experimental study", Proceedings of the 1st European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, PN 136, Geneva, Switzerland.
- Kim, J., LaFave, J.M. and Song, J. (2007). "A new statistical approach for joint shear strength determination of RC beam-column connections subjected to lateral earthquake loading", Struct. Eng. Mech., 27(4), 439-456. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2007.27.4.439
- Leon, R.T. (1990), "Shear strength and hysteretic behavior of interior beam-column joints", ACI Struct. J., 87(1), 3-11.
- MacGregor, J.G. (1988), Reinforced concrete mechanics and design, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- MayField, B., Kong, K.F. and Bennison, A. (1971), "Corner joint details in structural light weight concrete", ACI J. Proc., 68(5), 366-372.
- Nawy, E.G. (2005), Reinforcement concrete, a fundamental approach, fifth edition, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Nelson, A.H., Darwin, D. and Dolan, C.W. (2004), Design of concrete structure-thirteenth edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.
- NZS 3101 (1995), Concrete structures Standard Part 1 and 2, Code and commentary of on the design of concrete structures, New Zealand Standard, New Zealand.
- Pam, H.J., Au, F.T.K., Huang, K. and Li, J. (2002), "Behavior of interior beam-column joints reinforced with diagonal steel for moderate seismicity level", Proceedings of the Structural Engineers World Congress WEWC2002, Paper T1-3-d-5, 8pp, Yokohoma, Japan, October 9-12.
- Park, R. and Pauley, T. (1975), Reinforced concrete structures, John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Popov, E.P. (1984), "Bond and anchorage of reinforcing bars under cyclic loading", ACI J. Proc., 81(4), 340-349.
- Thermou, G.E. and Elnashai, A.S. (2006). "Seismic retrofit schemes for RC structures and local-global consequences", Prog. Struct. Eng. Mater., 8(1), 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1002/pse.208
- Proposals of Beam Column Joint Reinforcement in Reinforced Concrete Moment Resisting Frame : A Literature Review Study vol.95, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.175
- Lateral stiffness of reinforced concrete flat plates with steps under seismic loads vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.891
- Cyclic Performance of Precast Concrete Columns Using Steel Box Connection vol.15, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40999-017-0182-y
- Constitutive models of concrete structures subjected to seismic shear vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.627
- Experimental investigation into the seismic performance of slabs in RC frame joints vol.66, pp.15, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.13.00329
- Seismic behavior evaluation of exterior beam-column joints with headed or hooked bars using nonlinear finite element analysis vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.861
- Damage Identification of Frame Structures with Joint Damage under Earthquake Excitation vol.17, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.525
- Behaviour factor and displacement estimation of low-ductility precast wall system under seismic actions vol.5, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2013.5.6.625
- Effects of joint aspect ratio on required transverse reinforcement of exterior joints subjected to cyclic loading vol.7, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.7.5.705
- Effect of loading velocity on the seismic behavior of RC joints vol.8, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2015.8.3.665
- Influence Factors for the Shear Strength of Exterior and Interior Reinforced Concrete Beam-column Joints vol.142, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2016.02.014
- New Experimental Setup for Seismic Testing of Exterior RC Beam–Column Joints vol.43, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1520/JTE20140119
- Strut-and-tie modelling for the analysis and design of RC beam-column joints vol.49, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-015-0732-1
- The influence of vertical ground motion on the seismic behavior of RC frame with construction joints vol.11, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.3.407
- The influence of construction joint on the seismic behavior of reinforced concrete frame structure vol.20, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1177/1369433216673643
- Influence of pinching effect of exterior joints on the seismic behavior of RC frames vol.6, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2014.6.1.089
- Interaction of internal forces of interior beam-column joints of reinforced concrete frames under seismic action vol.52, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.2.427
- Experimental tests on retrofitted RC beam-column joints underdesigned to seismic loads. General approach vol.59, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2013.11.008
- New Reinforcement Detailing for Concrete Jacketing of Nonductile Exterior Beam–Column Joints vol.30, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CF.1943-5509.0000700
- Influence of geometric and material characteristics on the behavior of reinforced concrete beam-column connections vol.44, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjce-2016-0247
- A new empirical model for shear strength of reinforced concrete beam–column connections vol.66, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1680/macr.13.00310
- Seismic performance investigation of RC piers with lap-spliced longitudinal bars as to aspect ratio vol.18, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12205-014-0586-z
- Performance of an Interior Beam-Column Joint with and without a Slab under Cyclic Load vol.680, pp.1662-8985, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.680.211
- Seismic performance of interior precast concrete beam-column connections with T-section steel inserts under cyclic loading vol.17, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11803-018-0446-9