- Volume 10 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Plastic hinge length of circular reinforced concrete columns
- Ou, Yu-Chen (Department of Construction Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kurniawan, Raditya Andy (Department of Construction Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kurniawan, Dimas Pramudya (Department of Construction Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology) ;
- Nguyen, Nguyen Dang (Department of Construction Engineering, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2010.12.21
- Accepted : 2012.06.09
- Published : 2012.12.25
This paper presents a parametric study of the plastic hinge length of circular reinforced concrete columns using a three-dimensional finite element analysis method, and using the Taguchi robust design method to reduce computational cost. Parameters examined include the longitudinal reinforcing ratio, the shear span-to-depth ratio, the axial force ratio and the concrete compressive strength. The study considers longitudinal reinforcement with yield strengths of 414 MPa and 685 MPa, and proposes simplified formulas for the plastic hinge length of circular reinforced concrete columns, showing that increases in plastic hinge length correlate to increases in the axial load, longitudinal reinforcing and shear span-to-depth ratios. As concrete strength increases, the plastic hinge length decreases for the 414 MPa case but increases for the 685 MPa case.
Supported by : National Science Council
- ACI Committee 318. (2008), Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-08) and commentary (ACI 318R-08), American Concrete Institute, Farmington Hills, MI, U.S.A.
- Bae, S. and Bayrak, O. (2008), "Plastic hinge length of reinforced concrete columns", ACI Struct. J., 105(3), 290-300.
- Baker, A.L.L. and Amarakone, A.M.N. (1964), "Inelastic hyper static frame analysis", Flex. Mech. Reinf. Concrete ACI, 12, 85-142.
- Belarbi, A. and Hsu, T.T.C. (1994), "Constitutive laws of concrete in tension and reinforcing bars stiffened by concrete", ACI Struct. J., 91(4), 465-474.
- Collins, M.P., Mitchell, D. and MacGregor, J.G. (1993), "Structural design consideration for high-strength concrete", ACI Struct. J., 15(5), 27-34.
- Corley, W.G. (1966), "Rotational capacity of reinforced concrete beams", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 92(5), 121-146.
- Dar, F.H., Meankin, J.R. and Aspden, R.M. (2002), "Statistical methods in finite element analysis", J. Biomech, 35(9), 1155-1161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9290(02)00085-4
- Fowlkes, W.Y. and Creveling, C.M. (1995), Engineering methods for robust product design using Taguchi methods in technology and product development, Addison-Wesley.
- Hara, T. (2011), "Application of computational technologies to R/C structural analysis", Comput. Concrete, 8(1), 97-110 https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2011.8.1.097
- HKS. (2006), ABAQUS user's manual Version 6.6, Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc, Pawtucket, RI, U.S.A.
- Lehman, D.E. and Moehle, J.P. (2000), Seismic performance of well-confined concrete bridge columns, Pacific Earth. Eng. Res. Center, 1998-2001.
- Mander, J.B., Priestley, M.J.N. and Park, R. (1988), "Theoretical stress-strain model for confined concrete", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 114(8), 1804-1826. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1988)114:8(1804)
- Mattock, A.H. (1964), "Rotational capacity of hinging regions in reinforced concrete beams", Flex. Mech. Reinf. Concrete, 12, 143-181.
- Mattock, A.H. (1967), "Discussion of rotational capacity of hinging regions in reinforced concrete beams", J. Struct. Div.-ASCE, 93(2), 519-522.
- Mendis, P. (2001), "Plastic hinge lengths of normal and high-strength concrete in flexure", Adv. Struct. Eng., 4(4), 189-195. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943301320896651
- Ou, Y.C., Chiewanichakorn, M., Aref, A.J. and Lee, G.C. (2007), "Seismic performance of segmental precast unbonded post-tensioned concrete bridge columns", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 133(11), 1636-1647. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:11(1636)
- Ou, Y.C., Wang, P.H., Tsai, M.S., Chang, K.C. and Lee, G.C. (2010), "Large-scale experimental study of precast segmental unbonded post-tensioned concrete bridge columns for seismic regions", J. Struct. Eng.-ASCE, 136(3), 255-264. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0000110
- Paulay, T. and Priestley, M.J.N. (1992), Seismic design of reinforced concrete and masonry buildings, John Wiley and Sons, New York, U.S.A.
- SakaiI, K. and Sheikh, S.A. (1989), "What do we know about confinement in reinforced concrete columns? (A critical review of previous work and code provisions)", ACI Struct. J., 86(2), 192-207.
- Xiaoran, L. and Yuanfeng, W. (2010), "Three-dimensional nonlinear finite element analysis of reinforced concrete structures based on ANSYS program", 2nd Int. Conference on Computer Eng. Tech. (ICCET), 6, 42-46.
- Experimental research on the propagation of plastic hinge length for multi-scale reinforced concrete columns under cyclic loading vol.11, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2016.11.5.823
- Performance of HSC columns under severe cyclic loading vol.13, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10518-014-9617-x
- Concurrent flexural strength and ductility design of RC beams via strain-gradient-dependent concrete stress-strain curve vol.24, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/tal.1203
- Transverse reinforcement for confinement at plastic hinge of circular composite hollow RC columns vol.17, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12989/cac.2016.17.3.387
- Plastic Hinge Length of Corroded Reinforced Concrete Beams vol.111, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14359/51686872
- A Highly Accurate Algorithm for Nonlinear Numerical Simulation of RC Columns Under Biaxial Bending Moment and Axial Loading Applying Rotary Oblique Fiber-Element Discretization vol.15, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40999-017-0260-1