- Volume 10 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
WiSeMote: a novel high fidelity wireless sensor network for structural health monitoring
- Hoover, Davis P. (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas Tech University) ;
- Bilbao, Argenis (Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Texas Tech University) ;
- Rice, Jennifer A. (Engineering School of Sustainable Infrastructure and Environment, University of Florida)
- Received : 2011.12.16
- Accepted : 2012.07.22
- Published : 2012.09.25
Researchers have made significant progress in recent years towards realizing effective structural health monitoring (SHM) utilizing wireless smart sensor networks (WSSNs). These efforts have focused on improving the performance and robustness of such networks to achieve high quality data acquisition and distributed, in-network processing. One of the primary challenges still facing the use of smart sensors for long-term monitoring deployments is their limited power resources. Periodically accessing the sensor nodes to change batteries is not feasible or economical in many deployment cases. While energy harvesting techniques show promise for prolonging unattended network life, low power design and operation are still critically important. This research presents the WiSeMote: a new, fully integrated ultra-low power wireless smart sensor node and a flexible base station, both designed for long-term SHM deployments. The power consumption of the sensor nodes and base station has been minimized through careful hardware selection and the implementation of power-aware network software, without sacrificing flexibility and functionality.
- Digi International, Inc. (2008), "Wireless mesh networking Zigbee vs. Digimesh", http://www.digi.com/pdf/wp_zigbeevsdigimesh.pdf.
- Digi International, Inc. (2011), "XBee/XBee-PRO 2.4 DigiMeshRF Modules", ftp://ftp1.digi.com/support/documentation/90000991_D.pdf.
- Ergen, S.C. (2004), "ZigBee/IEEE 802.15.4 Summary", http://staff.ustc.edu.cn/-ustcsse/papers/SR10.ZigBee.pdf.
- Hill, J.L. and Culler, D.E. (2002), "Mica: a wireless platform for deeply embedded networks", IEEE Micro, 22(6), 12-24. https://doi.org/10.1109/MM.2002.1134340
- James, G.H., Carne, T.G., Lauffer, J.P. and Nord, A.R. (1992), "Modal testing using natural excitation", Proceedings of the 10th Int. Modal Analysis Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Jang, S., Jo, H., Cho, S., Mechitov, K., Rice, J., Sim, S., Jung, H., Yun, C., Spencer, B., and Agha, G. (2010), "Structural health monitoring of a cable-stayed bridge using smart sensor technology: deployment and evaluation", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(5-6), 439-459. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.439
- Juang, J.N. and Pappa, R.S. (1985), "An Eigensystem realization algorithm for modal parameter identification and model reduction", J. Guid. Control Dynam., 8(5), 620-627. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- Kurata, M., Lynch, J., Galchev, T., Flynn, M., Hipley, V.J., van der Linden, G., Mortazawi, A., Najafi, K., Peterson, R.L., Sheng, L., Sylvester, D. and Thometz, E. (2010), "A two-tiered self-powered wireless monitoring system architecture for bridge health management", Proceedings of the SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, San Diego, CA.
- Lee, C.S. (2006), Bluetooth Security Protocol Analysis and Improvements, Master's thesis, San Jose State University.
- Libelium, (2010), "Waspmote technical guide", http://www.libelium.com/documentation/waspmote/waspmotetechnical_ guide_eng.pdf.
- Lynch, J.P., Wang, Y., Law, K.H., Yi, J., Lee, C.G. and Yun, C.B. (2005), "Validation of a large-scale wireless structural monitoring system on the GeumdangBridge", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, Rome, Italy.
- Maroti, M., Kusy, B., Simon, G. and Ledeczi, A. (2004), "The flooding time synchronization protocol", Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, Baltimore, MD.
- Mechitov, K., Kim, W., Agha, G. and Nagayama, T. (2004), "High-frequency distributed sensing for structure monitoring", Proceedings of the 1st Intl. Workshop on Networked Sensing Systems, Tokyo, Japan.
- MEMSIC Inc. (2007), "Imote2 hardware reference manual", http://www.memsic.com/support/documentation/ wireless-sensor-networks/category/6-user manuals.html?download=56\%3Aimote2-hardware-reference-manual.
- Nagayama, T., Sim, S.H., Miyamori, Y. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (2007), "Issues in structural health monitoring employing smart sensors", Smart Struct. Syst., 3(3), 299-320. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2007.3.3.299
- Nagayama, T. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (2007), Structural health monitoring using smart sensors, NSEL Report Series, Report No.NSEL-001, 849-864.
- Nagayama, T., Spencer Jr., B.F. and Rice, J.A. (2009), "Autonomous decentralized structural health monitoring using smart sensors", Struct. Health Monit., 16(7-8), 842-859.
- Polastre, J., Szewczyk, R. and Culler, D. (2005), "Telos: Enabling ultra-low power wireless research", Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN).
- Rice, J.A. and Spencer, B.F. (2009), Flexible smart sensor framework for autonomous full-scale structural health monitoring, NSEL Report Series, No. 18, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (http://hdl.handle.net/2142/13635)
- Rice, J.A, Mechitov, K., Sim, S., Nagayama, T., Jang, S., Kim, R., Spencer Jr., B.F., Agha, G. and Fujino,Y. (2010), "Flexible smart sensor framework for autonomous structural health monitoring", Smart Struct. Syst., 6(5-6), 423-438. https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2010.6.5_6.423
- Rice, J.A., Mechitov, K.A. and Spencer Jr., B.F. (2010), "Autonomous smart sensor network for full-scale structural health monitoring", Proceedings of the SPIE Smart Structures/NDE, San Diego, CA.
- Sim, S.H., Spencer, Jr., B.F., Zhang, M. and Xie, H. (2010), "Automated decentralized modal analysis using smart sensors", Struct. Health Monit., 17(8) 872-894. https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.348
- Sundararaman, B., Buy, U. and Kshemkalyani, A.D. (2005), "Clock synchronization for wireless sensor networks: a Survey", Ad Hoc Networks, 3(3), 281-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adhoc.2005.01.002
- Swartz, R.A., Jung, D., Lynch, J.P., Wang, Y., Shi, D. and Flynn, M.P. (2005), "Design of a wireless sensor for scalable distributed in-network computation in a structural health monitoring system", Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Structural Health Monitoring.
- Neu, T.(2010), Clock jitter analyzed in the time domain, Part 1, Texas Instruments Inc.
- Whelan, M. and Janoyan, K. (2009), "Design of a robust, high-rate wireless sensor network for static and dynamic structural monitoring", J. Intel. Mat, Syst. Struct., 20(7), 849-864. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X08098768
- Zhao, J. and Govindan, R. (2003), "Understanding packet delivery performance in dense wireless sensor networks", Proceedings of the SenSys, Los Angeles, California, USA.
- ZigBee Alliance (2009), "Zigbee overview", http://www.ie.uia.mx/tit/pr09/ib03avg/public_html/TESIS/Zigbee_ Alliance_ Documents_files/ZigBee_Alliance_Overview.pdf.
- Zimmerman, A.T., Shiraishi, M., Swartz, R.A. and Lynch, J.P. (2008), "Automated modal parameter estimation by parallel processing within wireless monitoring systems", J. Infrastruct. Syst., 14(1), 102-113. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1076-0342(2008)14:1(102)
- Bridge load testing and rating: a case study through wireless sensing technology vol.12, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.6.661
- Smart Radar Sensor Network for Bridge Displacement Monitoring vol.24, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0001322