- Volume 9 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Vibration mitigation of stay cable using optimally tuned MR damper
- Huang, Hongwei (State Key Laboratory for Disaster Reduction in Civil Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Sun, Limin (Department of Bridge Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Jiang, Xiaolu (Shanghai Urban Construction Design & Research Institute)
- Received : 2010.12.19
- Accepted : 2011.11.30
- Published : 2012.01.25
Mechanical dampers have been proved to be one of the most effective countermeasures for vibration mitigation of stay cables in various cable-stayed bridges over the world. However, for long stay cables, as the installation height of the damper is restricted due to the aesthetic concern, using passive dampers alone may not satisfy the control requirement of the stay cables. In this connection, semi-active MR dampers have been proposed for the vibration mitigation of long stay cables. Although various studies have been carried out on the implementation of MR dampers on stay cables, the optimal damping performance of the cable-MR damper system has yet to be evaluated. Therefore, this paper aims to investigate the effectiveness of MR damper as a semi-active control device for the vibration mitigation of stay cable. The mathematical model of the MR damper will first be established through a performance test. Then, an efficient semi-active control strategy will be derived, where the damping of MR damper will be tuned according to the dynamic characteristics of stay cable, in order to achieve optimal damping of cable-damper system. Simulation study will be carried out to verify the proposed semi-active control algorithm for suppressing the cable vibrations induced by different loading patterns using optimally tuned MR damper. Finally, the effectiveness of MR damper in mitigating multi modes of cable vibration will be examined theoretically.
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of China
- Chen, Z.Q., Ni, Y.Q. and Gao, Z.M. (2001), "Application of MR damper for mitigating wind-rain induced cable vibration of cable-stayed bridge", Proceedings of the 10th China Wind Engineering Conference, Guilin, China. (in Chinese)
- Duan, Y.F., Ni, Y.Q. and Ko, J.M. (2006), "Cable vibration control using magnetorheological dampers", J. Intel. Mat. Syst. Str.., 17(4), 321-325. https://doi.org/10.1177/1045389X06054997
- Huang, H.W., Jiang, X.L., Sun, L.M. and Cheng, W. (2009), "Experimental study of MR damper for vibration mitigation of stay cable", , Proceedings of the 8th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, AIM, on CD.
- Johnson, E.A. Baker, G.A., Spencer Jr. B.F. and Fujino, Y. (2007), "Semiactive damping of stay cables", J. Eng. Mech.-ASCE, 133(1), 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2007)133:1(1)
- Krenk, S. (2000), "Vibration of a taut cable with an external damper", J. Appl. Mech.-T-ASME., 67(4), 772-776. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.1322037
- Li, H., Liu, M., Li, J.H., Guan, X.C. and Ou, J.P. (2007), "Vibration control of stay cables of the shandong binzhou yellow river highway bridge using magnetorheological fluid dampers", J. Bridge Eng.-ASCE, 12(4), 401-409. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1084-0702(2007)12:4(401)
- Liu, M., Li, H., Li, J.H., Guan X.C. and Ou, J.P. (2006), "Experimental investigation on vibration control of one stay cable using one magnetorheological fluid damper", Proceedings of the SPIE: Smart Structures and Materials, San Diego, CA, on CD.
- Wang, X.Y., Chen, Z.Q., Ni, Y.Q. and Gao, Z.M. (2003), "Vibration control of stay cable using MR damper", China J. Highway Transport, 16(2), 52-56. (in Chinese)
- Weber, F., Distl, H., Feltrin, G. and Motavalli, G. (2005), "Simplified approach of velocity feedback for MR dampers on real cable-stayed bridges", Proceedings of the 6th International Symposium on Cable Dynamics, AIM, on CD.
- Weber, F., Fobo, W. and Distl, H. (2007a), "Damping of several single mode vibrations with linear viscous dampers", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference, Weimar, on CD.
- Weber, F., Distl, H. and Feltrin, G. (2007b), "Damping of stay cables by controlled friction type dampers", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference, Weimar, on CD.
- Weber, F., Distl, H., Huber, P., Nutzel, O. and Motavalli, M. (2007c), "Design, implementation and field test on the adaptive damping system of the Franjo Tudjman Bridge nearby Dubrovnik, Croatia", Proceedings of the IABSE Conference, Weimar, on CD.
- Wu, Z.H., Lou, W.J., Chen, Y., Chen, Y.Y., Tang, J.C. and Sun, B.N. (2004), "Simplified model of MR damper and its application", J. Disaster Prevent. Mitigation Eng., 24(2), 210-213. (in Chinese)
- Wu, W.J. and Cai, C.S. (2006), "Experimental study of magnetorheological dampers and application to cable vibration control", J. Vib. Control., 12(1), 67-82. https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546306061128
- Full-scale experimental verification on the vibration control of stay cable using optimally tuned MR damper vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.16.6.1003
- Cable vibration control with both lateral and rotational dampers attached at an intermediate location vol.377, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2016.04.028
- Longitudinal vibration control for a suspension bridge subjected to vehicle braking forces and earthquake excitations based on magnetorheological dampers vol.22, pp.17, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1177/1077546314564781
- Design of MR dampers to prevent progressive collapse of moment frames vol.52, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.2.291
- Thermodynamic Behaviors of a Kind of Self-Decoupling Magnetorheological Damper vol.2015, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/502747
- Adaptive Semiactive Cable Vibration Control: A Frequency Domain Perspective vol.2017, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2593503
- Semi-active structural fuzzy control with MR dampers subjected to near-fault ground motions having forward directivity and fling step vol.12, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2013.12.6.595
- Inertial mass damper for mitigating cable vibration vol.24, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1986
- Development of a Self-Powered Magnetorheological Damper System for Cable Vibration Control vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8010118
- Cable with discrete negative stiffness device and viscous damper: passive realization and general characteristics vol.15, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.3.627
- Enhanced damping for bridge cables using a self-sensing MR damper vol.25, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1088/0964-1726/25/8/085019
- Amplitude and frequency independent cable damping of Sutong Bridge and Russky Bridge by magnetorheological dampers vol.22, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1002/stc.1671