- Volume 43 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Parametric study on earthquake induced pounding between adjacent buildings
- Naserkhaki, Sadegh (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Abdul Aziz, Farah N.A. (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Putra Malaysia) ;
- Pourmohammad, Hassan (Department of Civil Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Islamic Azad University)
- Received : 2011.02.28
- Accepted : 2012.08.07
- Published : 2012.08.25
Pounding between closely located adjacent buildings is a serious issue of dense cities in the earthquake prone areas. Seismic responses of adjacent buildings subjected to earthquake induced pounding are numerically studied in this paper. The adjacent buildings are modeled as the lumped mass shear buildings subjected to earthquake acceleration and the pounding forces are modeled as the Kelvin contact force model. The Kelvin model is activated when the separation gap is closed and the buildings pound together. Characteristics of the Kelvin model are extensively explored and a new procedure is proposed to determine its stiffness. The developed model is solved numerically and a SDOF pounding case as well as a MDOF pounding case of multistory adjacent buildings are elaborated and discussed. Effects of different separation gaps, building heights and earthquake excitations on the seismic responses of adjacent buildings are obtained. Results show that the seismic responses of adjacent buildings are affected negatively by the pounding. More stories pound together and pounding is more intense if the separation gap is smaller. When the height of buildings differs significantly, the taller building is almost unaffected while the shorter building is affected detrimentally. Finally, the buildings should be analyzed case by case considering the potential earthquake excitation in the area.
- Abdel Raheem, S.E. (2006), "Seismic pounding between adjacent building structures", Electron. J. Struct. Eng., 6, 66-74.
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A. (1988), "Pounding of buildings in series during earthquakes", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 16, 443-456.
- Anagnostopoulos, S.A. and Spiliopoulos, K.V. (1992), "An investigation of earthquake induced pounding between adjacent buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 21, 289-302. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210402
- ASCE (2006), Minimum Design Loads for Buildings and Other Structures, American Society of Civil Engineers, SEI 7-05, Alexander Bell Drive, Reston, Virginia.
- Chau, K.T. and Wei, X.X. (2001), "Pounding of structures modelled as non-linear impacts of two oscillators", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 30, 633-651. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.27
- Chau, K.T., Wei, X.X., Guo, X. and Shen, C.Y. (2003), "Experimental and theoretical simulations of seismic poundings between two adjacent structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 32, 537-554. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.231
- Chopra, A.K. (2007), Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Application to Earthquake Engineering, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Cole, G., Dhakal, R., Carr, A. and Bull, D. (2011), "An investigation of the effects of mass distribution on pounding structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 40, 641-659. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.1052
- Davis, R.O. (1992), "Pounding of buildings modelled by an impact oscillator", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 21, 253- 274. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210305
- Favvata, M.J., Karayannis, C.G. and Liolios, A.A. (2009), "Influence of exterior joint effect on the inter-story pounding interaction of structures", Struct. Eng. Mech., 33(2), 113-136. https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2009.33.2.113
- Filiatrault, A., Wagner, P. and Cherry, S. (1995), "Analytical prediction of experimental building pounding", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 24, 1131-1154. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240807
- Goldsmith, W. (1960), Impact: The Theory and Physical Behaviour of Colliding Solids, Edward Arnold, London.
- Jankowski, R. (2008), "Earthquake induced pounding between equal height buildings with substantially different dynamic properties", Eng. Struct., 30, 2818-2829. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2008.03.006
- Jankowski, R. (2009), "Experimental study on earthquake-induced pounding between structural elements made of different building materials", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 39(3), 343-354.
- Kim, S.H. and Hon, M.S. (2003), "Effects of seismically induced pounding at expansion joints of concrete bridges", J. Eng. Mech., 129(11), 1225-1234. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9399(2003)129:11(1225)
- Mahin, S.A., Bertero, V.V., Chopra, A.K. and Collins, R.G. (1976), Response of the Olive View hospital main building during the San Fernando earthquake, Report No. EERC 76-22, Earthquake Engineering Research Center, University of California, Berkeley, CA.
- Mahmoud, S. and Jankowski, R. (2010) "Pounding-involved response of isolated and non-isolated buildings under earthquake excitation", Earthq. Struct., 1(3), 231-252. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2010.1.3.231
- Maison, B.F. and Kasai, K. (1990), "Analysis for type of structural pounding", J. Struct. Eng., 116(4), 957-977. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1990)116:4(957)
- Maison, B.F. and Kasai, K. (1992), "Dynamics of pounding when two buildings collide", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 21, 771-786. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290210903
- Muthukumar, S. and DesRoches, R. (2006), "A Hertz contact model with non-linear damping for pounding simulation", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 35, 811-828. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.557
- Newmark, N.M. (1959), "A method of computation for structural dynamics" J. Eng. Mech. Div., ASCE, 85, 67-94.
- Nguyen, D.T., Noah, S.T. and Kettleborough, C.F. (1986), "Impact behaviour of an oscillator with limiting stops, Part I: a parametric study", J. Sound Vib., 109(2), 293-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-460X(86)80010-4
- Pantelides, C.P. and Mat, X. (1998), "Linear and non linear pounding of structural systems", Comput. Struct., 66(1), 79-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0045-7949(97)00045-X
- Papadrakakis, M. and Mouzakis, H.P. (1995), "Earthquake simulator testing of pounding between buildings", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 24, 811-834. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.4290240604
- Polycarpou, P.C. and Komodromos, P. (2011), "Numerical investigation of potential mitigation measures for poundings of seismically isolated buildings", Earthq. Struct., 2(1), 1-24. https://doi.org/10.12989/eas.2011.2.1.001
- Rajalingham, C. and Rakheja, S. (2000), "Analysis of impact force variation during collision of two bodies using a single degree of freedom system model", J. Sound Vib., 229(4), 823-835. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsvi.1999.2523
- Rezavandi, A. and Moghadam, A.S. (2007), "Experimental and numerical study on pounding effects and mitigation techniques for adjacent structures", Adv. Struct. Eng., 10(2), 121-134. https://doi.org/10.1260/136943307780429752
- Wolf, J.P. and Skrikerud, P.E. (1980), "Mutual pounding of adjacent structures during earthquakes", Nucl. Eng. Des., 57, 253-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/0029-5493(80)90106-5
- Zhu, P., Abe, M. and Fujino, Y. (2002), "Modelling three-dimensional non-linear seismic performance of elevated bridges with emphasis on pounding of girders", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 31, 1891-1913. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.194
- Pounding between adjacent buildings of varying height coupled through soil vol.52, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.12989/sem.2014.52.3.573
- Seismic analysis of 3-D two adjacent buildings connected by viscous dampers with effect of underneath different soil kinds vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12989/sss.2015.15.5.1293