- Volume 54 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Genetic Parameters and Genetic Trends for Major Economic Traits in Swine
종돈의 주요 경제형질에 대한 유전모수 및 유전적 변화 추세 추정에 대한 연구
- Kang, Hyun-Sung (Department of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Nam, Ki-Chang (Department of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Li, Yunxiao (Department of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tai (Breeding pig Improvement Center, NACF) ;
- Lee, Myeong-Seop (Medi Kinetics CO) ;
- Yoon, Jong-Taek (Department of Animal Science, Hankyong National University) ;
- Seo, Kang-Seok (Department of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University)
- 강현성 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 남기창 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 김경태 (농협중앙회 종돈개량사업소) ;
- 이명섭 (메디키네틱스) ;
- 윤종택 (국립한경대학교) ;
- 서강석 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과)
- Received : 2012.04.06
- Accepted : 2012.04.24
- Published : 2012.04.30
The objective of this study was to estimate the genetic parameters and breeding value of swine using their economic traits. The traits considered were age at 90 kilograms body weight (D90 kg), backfat thickness (BF) and eye muscle area (EMA). Estimation of genetic parameters and breeding value from 18,668 heads considering the economic traits were based on farm performance data from May 2007 to April 2011. Estimation of genetic parameters based on economic traits revealed that the single best model was fitted after finding source of variance on fixed and random effects and estimated by a multiple trait model using DF-REML (Derivative-FREE Restricted Maximum Likelihood). In this study, the estimated heritabilities of Duroc, Berkshire, Landrace and Yorkshire were about 0.22-0.59 for the D90 kg, 0.47-0.62 for the BF and 0.23-0.37 for the EMA. Genetic correlation of D90 kg with BF and EMA of the four breeds were -0.01-0.24 and -0.35--0.23, respectively. Moreover, the genetic correlation of BF with EMA was -0.68--0.17. On the other hand, the phenotypic correlation of D90 kg with BF and EMA of the four breeds were about 0.01-0.11 and -0.37--0.21, respectively, while the phenotypic correlation of BF with EMA was -0.68--0.17. Results showed that the genetic trends of breeding value every year were decreasing for D90 kg, increasing for BF while for EMA inconsistent values were obtained.
Genetic correlations;Animal model;Eye muscle area;Backfat thickness
Supported by : IPET
- Bereskin, B. and Steele, R. J. 1986. Performance of Duroc and Yorkshire boars and gilts and reciprocal breed crosses. J. Anim. Sci. 62:918-926.
- Bereskin, B., Davey, R. J. and Peters, W. H. 1976. Genetic, sex and diet effect on pig growth and feed use. J. Anim. Sci. 43:977.
- Bryner, S. M., Mabry, J. W., Bertrand, J. K., Benysh, L. L. and Kriese, L. A. 1992. Estimation of direct and maternal heritability and genetic correlation for backfat and growth rate in swine using data from centrally tested Yorkshire boars. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1755.
- Choi, S. Y., 1995. Studies on estimation of genetic variances and heritabilities of economic traits in swine. Seoul National University. Master's deree.
- Cleveland, E. R., Johnson, R. K. and Cunningham, P. J. 1988. Correlated responses of carcass and reproductive traits to selection for rate of lean growth swine. J. Anim. Sci. 66:1371-1377.
- Fredeen, H. T. and Hitoshi Mikami. 1986. Mass selection in a pig population: Correlated changes in carcass merit. J. Anim. Sci. 62:1546.
- Geri, G., Franci, O., poli, B. M., Campodini, g. and Zappa, A. 1990b. Relationships between adipose tissue characteristics of newborn pigs and subsequent performance : I. Carcass traits at 95 and 145 kilograms live weight. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1929-1935.
- Harville, D. A. 1977. Maximum likelihood approaches to variance component estimation and to related problems. J. Amer. Stat. Assoc. 72:320.
- Henderson, C. R. 1985. Best linear unbiased prediction of nonadditive genetic merits in noninbred populations. J. Anim. Sci. 60:111.
- Jefferies, D. C. and Peterson, R. G. 1982. Heritabilities and genetic correlations for ultrasonic backfat measurements, growth and carcass traits in swine. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 62:665. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas82-081
- Jeong, H. W. 1989. Studies on estimation of genetic parameters and sire evaluation for economic traits in swine. Seoul National University. Doctor's degree.
- Jo, Y. C., Park, H. Y., Kim, K. W. 1998. Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Major Economic Traits in Swine. J. Aim. Sci. 40(5):447-454.
- Johnson, Z. B., Chewning, J. J. and Nugent, R. A. 1999. Genetic parameters for production traits and measures off residual feed intake in Large White swine. J. Anim. Sci. 77:1679-1685.
- Kaplon, M. J., Rothschild, M. F., Berge, P. J. and Healey, M. 1991. Population parameter estimates for performance and reproductive traits in Polish Large White Nucleus Herds. J. Anim. Sci. 69:91.
- Keele, J. W., Johnson, R. K., Young, L. D. and Socha, T. E. 1988. Comparison of methods of predicting breeding values of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 66:3040-3048.
- Kim, S. D., Park, H. C., Seo, K. S., Kim, S. H., Park, Y. I., 1996. Comparison of Multiple with Single Trait Animal Models in Estimation of Breeding Values of Economic Traits of Swine. J. Anim. Sci. (Kor) 38(4):341-346.
- Kuhlers, D. L. and Jungst, S. B. 1983. Estimates of genetic parameters for growth rate and backfat thickness of swine tested to 105 and 135 kg. J. Anim. Sci. 57:879-884.
- Lo, L. L., McLaren, D. G., McKeith, F. K., Fernando, R. L. and Novakofski, J. 1992. Genetic analyses of growth, real-time ultrasound, carcass, and pork quality traits in Duroc and Landrace pigs : Heritabilities and correlations. J. Anim. Sci. 70: 2387.
- Mode, R. A. and Kennedy. B. W. 1993. genetic variation in measures of food efficiency in pigs and their gentic relationships with growth rate and backfat. Anim. Prod. 56:225. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100021309
- National Institute of Animal Science (NIAS), R.D.A. 2010. Report of estimation of breeding value in swine.
- Park, B. H. 1995. Study in estimation of genetic parameters and effect of sex for economic traits in the landrace breed of swine. Seoul National University. Master's degree.
- Seo, K. S. 1996. A Study on estimation of genetic parameters breeding value and genetic trend in economic traits of swine using multiple traits animal model. Seoul National University. Doctor's degree.
- Song, J. Y., Choi, H. S., Baik, D. H., Park, H. C. 1999. Effects of the Environmental Factors on Weights of the Bull in Korean Native Cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 41(6):605-612.
- Tolle, V. D., Johnson, B. H. and Robison, O. W. 1984. Genetic parameters for tested traits in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 59:967.
- Van Diepen, T. A. and Kennedy, B. W. 1989. Genetic correlations between test station and on-farm performance for growth rate and backfat in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 67:1425-1431.
- Changes rate in selection of Yorkshire pig for productive traits using the integrated test records among GGPs vol.27, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.2.429
- Genetic parameters and trends for production traits and their relationship with litter traits in Landrace and Yorkshire pigs vol.89, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.13090