- Volume 54 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Heritability and Genetic Parameter for Growth and Body Traits of Pig
종돈의 성장 및 체형 형질에 대한 유전력 및 유전모수 추정에 관한 연구
- Kang, Hyun-Sung (Dept of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Nam, Ki-Chang (Dept of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Tai (Breeding pig Improvement Center, NACF) ;
- Na, Chong-Sam (Dept of Animal Biotechnology, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Seo, Kang-Seok (Dept of Animal Science & Technology, Sunchon National University)
- 강현성 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 남기창 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 김경태 (농협중앙회 종돈개량사업소) ;
- 나종삼 (국립전북대학교 동물자원과학과) ;
- 서강석 (국립순천대학교 동물자원과학과)
- Received : 2012.02.28
- Accepted : 2012.04.12
- Published : 2012.04.30
The purpose of this study was to estimate genetic parameters for productive traits in swine. Productive traits were considered on average daily gain (ADG), body height (BH) and body length (BL). Genetic analysis was consisted of 18,668 heads for productive traits which were based on on-farm performance tested from May, 2007 to Apr, 2011. For estimating genetic parameters on productive traits, single best model was fitted after finding source of variance on fixed and random effects and estimated with a multiple trait animal model by using DF-REML (Derivative-Free Restricted Maximum Likelihood). The estimated heritabilities of Duroc, Berkshire, Landrace and Yorkshire 0.22-0.58 for the average daily gain, 0.34-0.41 for the body height and 0.4-0.52 for the body length, respectively. Phenotypic correlations of average daily gain with body height and body length for the four breeds were 0.42-0.48, 0.53-0.58, 0.34-0.46 and 0.47-0.56, respectively. Phenotypic correlations of body height with body length were 0.41, 0.57, 0.52, 0.59, respectively. The estimated genetic correlation coefficients of average daily gain with body height and body length estimated for the four breeds were 0.34-0.47, 0.70-0.75, 0.17-0.38 and 0.50-0.53, respectively. The estimated genetic correlation coefficients of body height with body length were 0.57, 0.69, 0.61 and 0.71, respectively.
- Bates, R. O. and Buchanan, D. D. 1988. A comparison of progeny sired by high and low indexing Hampshire and Duroc central test station boars : Genetic parameter estimation. J. Anim. Sci. 66:2762.
- Ferraz, J. B. S. and Johnson, R K. 1993. Animal model estimation of genetic parameters and response to selection for litter size and weight, growth, and backfat in closed seedstock populations of Large White and Landrace swine. J. Anim. Sci. 71:850.
- Fredeen, H. T. and Hitoshi Mikami. 1986. Mass selection in a pig population: Correlated changes in carcass merit. J. Anim. Sci. 62:1546.
- Hetzer, H. O. and Miller, R. H. 1972. Correlated responses of various body measurements in swine selectedfor high and low fatness. J. Anim. Sci.35:4.
- Jeong, H. W. 1989. Studies on estimation of genetic parameters and sire evaluation for economic traits in swine. Seoul National University. Doctor's degree.
- Kang, H. S., Seo, K. S., Kim, K. T. and Nam, K. C. 2011. Comparison of Pork Quality Characteristics of Different Parts from Domesticated Pig Species. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 31:921-927. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2011.31.6.921
- Kim, J. B. 1981. Estimates of the Heritabilities on Economic Traits in Swine. Seoul National University. Master's degree.
- Kim, S. D. 1996. Study on estimation of genetic parameters and breeding values of economic traits of swine by method R and animal model. Seoul National University. Master's degree.
- Lee, H. K., Choi, J. S., Kim, I. C., Park, J. D. and Kang, M. S. 1989. Estimation of Genetic Parameter for Preweaning and Postweaning Traits in Swine. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (Kor.) 31:210.
- Li, X. and Kennedy, B. W. 1994. Genetic parameters for Growth rate and backfat in Canadian Yorkshire, Landrace, Duroc, and Hampshire pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 72:1450.
- Lo, L. L., McLaren, D. G., McKeith, F. K., Fernando, R. L. and Novakofski, J. 1992. Genetic analyses of growth, real - time ultrasound, carcass, and pork quality traits in Duroc and Landrace pigs : Heritabilities and correlations. J. Anim. Sci. 70:2387.
- Meyer K. 1988. DFREML-a set of programs to estimate variance components under an individual animal model. J Dairy Sci. 71:33-34 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0302(88)79977-4
- Park, B. H. 1995. Study on estimation of genetic parameters and effect of sex for economic traits in the landrace breed of swine. Seoul National University. Master's degree.
- Seo, K. S. 1996. A Study on estimation of genetic parameters, breeding value and genetic trend in economic traits of swine using multiple traits animal model. Seoul National University. Doctor's degree
- Van steenbergen, E. J., Kanis, E. and Van Der Steen, H. A. M. 1990. Genetic parameters of fattening performance and exterior traits of boars tested in central stations. Livest. Prod. Sci. 24:65. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(90)90032-2
- Estimates of Genetic parameters for Growth Traits of Different Breeds in Swine vol.48, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.14397/jals.2014.48.3.105