- Volume 54 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Repeated Records Animal Model to Estimate Genetic Parameters of Ultrasound Measurement Traits in Hanwoo Cows
반복모형을 이용한 한우 초음파 측정형질의 유전모수추정
- Park, Cheol-Hyeon (GyongSang Nat'l Univ (Insti. of Agric. & Life Sci.)) ;
- Koo, Yang-Mo (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Kim, Byung-Woo (Pusan National Univ (Department of Animal Science)) ;
- Sun, Du-Won (GyongSang Nat'l Univ (Insti. of Agric. & Life Sci.)) ;
- Kim, Jung-Il (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Song, Chi-Eun (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Lee, Ki-Hwan (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Lee, Jae-Youn (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Jeoung, Yeoung-Ho (Korean Animal Improvement Association) ;
- Lee, Jung-Gyu (GyongSang Nat'l Univ (Insti. of Agric. & Life Sci.))
- 박철현 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21).농업생명과학연구원) ;
- 구양모 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 김병우 (부산대학교) ;
- 선두원 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21).농업생명과학연구원) ;
- 김정일 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 송치은 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 이기환 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 이재윤 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 정용호 (한국종축개량협회) ;
- 이정규 (경상대학교 응용생명과학부(BK21).농업생명과학연구원)
- Received : 2011.11.10
- Accepted : 2012.03.28
- Published : 2012.04.30
The present study data were obtained from 36,894 cows in Korea Animal Improvement Association from 2001 to 2009 which was subjected for ultrasound measurements (eye muscle area, back-fat thickness, marbling score) and descent. Repeated record models were carried out using 7,913 of 36,894 of total animal traits. The ultrasound measured traits and performance test data were used to study the chest girth, body condition score, eye muscle area, back-fat thickness and marbling score with genetic correlation and parameters for the ultrasound measured traits using REMLF90 program. Genetic correlation of eye muscle area with back-fat thickness, marbling score and back-fat thickness with marbling score were noticed in repeated records animal model as 0.69, 0.54, and 0.59, whereas in multiple trait animal model method were 0.07, 0.66, and 0.39, respectively. Repeated records of animal models were used as positive correlation of traits. Multiple trait animal models were used as negative correlation of eye muscle area with marbling score. The analysis on repeat records of animal models using ultrasound measurements about Korean cattle showed positive effects for each traits. In comparison differences between the repeat records of animal models and multiple trait animal models was found with higher traits of her, the heritability and repeatability was found higher in repeat records animal models. In light of these assessments, carcass traits by ultrasound measurements are expected to help and improve an accurate analysis of each trait and if the research analysis using repeat records of animal models continue when we estimate genetic ability of these traits.
Carcass trait;Repeated records animal model;Ultrasound
- Brethour, J. R. 1992. The repeatability and accuracy of ultrasound in measuring backfat of cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 1992. 70:1039-1044.
- Hamlin, K. E., Green, R. D., Cundiff, L. V., Wheeler, T. L. and Dikeman, M. E. 1995a. Real-time ultrasonic measurement of fat thickness and longissimus muscle area : II. Relationship between real-time ultrasound measurementss and carcass retail yield. J. Anim. Sci. 73:1725-1734.
- Kemp, D. J., Herring, W. O. and Kaiser, C. J. 2002. Genetic and environmental parameters for steer ultrasound and carcass traits. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1489-1496.
- Kim, H. C., Jeon, G. J., Na, K. J., Yoo, Y. M. and Chung, J. K. 1995. Breeding and Genetics ; A Study on estimation of carcass traits in live Hanwoo by using the ultrasonic scanning method. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 37, No, 4. 336-340.
- Koo, Y. M. 2007. Estimation of genetic correlation and parameters for ltrasound measurements and perfomance test data in Hanwoo cows. Gyeongsang National University a mastral dissertation.
- Lee, D. H. 2004. Breeding and Genetics : Methods for genetic parameter estimations of carcass weight, longissimus muscle area and marbling score in korean cattle. J. Anim. Sci. Vol.46, No.4. 509-516. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.4.509
- Misztal, I. 2001. RENUMF90 - renumbering program for the BLUPF90. Online. Available : http://nce.ads.uga.edu/-ignacy/numpub/ blupf90/docs/Readme.renumf90
- Misztal, I. 2008. BLUPF90 - a flexible mixed model program in Fortran 90. Online. Available :http://nce.ads.uga.edu/-ignacy/ numpub/blupf90/docs/blupf90.pdf.
- Roh, S. H., Kim, C. Y., Won, S. Y., Park, C. J., Lee, S. S., Lee, J. G.. 2010. Breeding and Genetics : Studies on genetic parameter estimation and sire selection to ultrasound measurement traits of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. 2010. Vol.52, No.1. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.001
- Schaeffer, L. R. 2001. Animal Models -ANSC* 6370-Winter 2001.
- Stelzleni, A. M., Perkins, T. L., Brown, A. H. Jr., Pohlman, F. W., Johnson, Z. B. and Sandelin, B. A. 2002. Genetic parameter estimates of yearling live animal ultrasonic measurements in Brangus cattle. J. Anim. Sci 80:3150-3153.
- Van vleck, L. D. 1987. Contemporary grous for genetic evaluations. Faculty papers and publications in animal science.
- Waldner, D. N., Dikeman, M. E., Schalles, R. R., Olson, W. G., Houghton, P. L., Unruh, J. A. and Corah, L. R. 1992. Validation of real-time ultrasound technology for predicting fat thicknesses, longissimus muscle areas, and composition of Brangus bulls from 4 months to 2 years of age. J. Anim. Sci. 1992 70:3044-3054.
- Estimation of Genetic Parameters for Ultrasound and Carcass Traits in Hanwoo vol.54, pp.5, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.5.331