- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Field of Power/Ground Planes influenced by the HPEM Source, and its Damage Reduction
- Kahng, Sung-Tek (Dept. of Information and Telecommunication Eng., University of Incheon) ;
- Kim, Hyeong-Seok (School of Electrical and Electronics Eng., Chung-Ang Univ.)
- Received : 2011.04.30
- Accepted : 2011.12.13
- Published : 2012.05.01
This paper looks into the field inside the wide rectangular box structure that is excited by the High Power Electromagnetic(HPEM) source as a potential threat to electric grid and communication networks causing malfunction or destruction. The rectangular box is assumed power/ground planes and its internal field is calculated by the cavity model with the lightning strike excitation as an HPEM pulse. The accuracy of the calculation method employed here is validated through a
High power electromagnetic pulse(HPEM);Lightning;HEMP;Power/ground planes;Cavity model;Resonance suppression
- Sub-committee 77C: "Immunity to high altitude nuclear electromagnetic pulse (HA-NEMP)," Doc. 77C (Secretariat)l, Mar. 1992.
- IEC 61000-1-3 TR: "The effects of high-altitude EMP on civil equipment and systems", May, 2008.
- M. Ianoz, B. I. C. Nicoara, and W. A. RadaskyI, "Modeling of an EMP Conducted Environment," IEEE Trnasactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, vol. 38, no. 3, August 1996.
- M. Ianoz, C. A. Nucci, and F. M. Tesche, "Transmission line theory for field-to-transmission line coupling calculations," Electromag., vol. 8, no. 2 4 , pp. 171-211, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1080/02726348808908214
- T. Okoshi, Planar Circuits for Microwaves and Lightwaves, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 1985
- S. Kahng, "GA-Optimized Decoupling Capacitors Damping the Rectangular Power-Bus' Cavity-Mode Resonances," IEEE Microwave And Wireless Components Letters, vol. 16, no. 6, pp.375-377, June 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/LMWC.2006.875590
- G. Jang, and S. Kahng, "Design of a Dual-Band Metamaterial Bandpass Filter using Zeroth Order Resonance," Progress in Electromagnetics Research C, vol. 12, pp.149-162, 2010 https://doi.org/10.2528/PIERC09122001
- S. Kahng, "The Rectangular Power-Bus With Slits GA-Optimized to Damp Resonances," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 55, no. 6, pp.1892-1895, 2007 https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2007.898642
- C. Wang, M. Leone, J. L. Drewniak, and A. Orlandi, "Coupling between the differential signals and the DC power-bus in multilayer PCB," IEEE Transactions on Advanced Packaging, vol. 28, no. 2, pp.337-345, 2005 https://doi.org/10.1109/TADVP.2005.846938