- Volume 7 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Shape Optimization of a Thomson Coil Actuator for Fast Response Using Topology Modification
- Li, Wei (School of Electronic and Information Engineering, Tongji University) ;
- Koh, Chang-Seop (College of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2010.03.18
- Accepted : 2011.12.03
- Published : 2012.05.01
The shape optimization of a Thomson coil actuator used in an arc eliminator is done for fast response by adopting topology modification method. The displacement of the plate in a fixed calculation time is taken as the objective function. The objective function and contribution factor are calculated by using an adaptive equivalent circuit method which has been proved accurate and efficient. Both shape optimization and performance analysis are accomplished based on the segmentation of plate. Through the refinement of the sensitive segments a precise optimal plate shape can be obtained. The effectiveness of the proposed method is proved by the comparison of results before and after the shape optimization.
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Toshie Takeuchi, Kenichi Koyama and Mitsuru Tsukima, "Electromagnetic analysis coupled with motion for high-speed circuit breakers of eddy current repulsion using the Tableau approach," Electrical Engineering in Japan, vol. 152, no. 4, pp. 8-16, 2005.
- Seung-Myen Lee, Se-Hee Lee, Hong-Soon Choi and Il-Han Park, "Reduced modeling of eddy currentdriven electromechanical system using conductor segmentation and circuit parameters extracted by FEA," IEEE Trans. on Magn., vol. 41, no. 5, pp. 1448-1451, May 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2005.844549
- Fawzi TH and Burke PE, "The accurate computation of self and mutual inductances of circular coils," IEEE Trans Power Apparatus Syst., vol. 97, no. 2, pp. 464-468, March 1978. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1978.354506
- Wei Li, Hee Sung Yoon, Young Woo Jeong, and Chang Seop Koh, "Analysis of parameters influence on the characteristics of Thomson coil type actuator of arc eliminator using adaptive segmentation equivalent circuit method," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 282-289, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.2.282
- N. Takahashi, S. Nakazaki, and D. Miyagi, "Examination of optimal design method of electromagnetic shield using ON/OFF method", IEEE Trans. on Magn., vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 1546-1549, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012738