- Volume 15 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Measurement of River Ice Thickness by Using X-band Scatterometer
X-밴드 산란계를 이용한 하천 얼음 두께 측정에 관한 연구
- Han, Hyang-Sun (Department of Geophysics, Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Bum-Jun (Department of Geophysics, Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hoon-Yol (Department of Geophysics, Kangwon National University)
- Received : 2012.01.05
- Accepted : 2012.02.23
- Published : 2012.02.29
In this study, we setup a ground-based scatterometer using an antenna of which the center frequency is 9.5 GHz (X-band), and measured radar backscatterings from air/ice and ice/water interfaces to extract ice thickness. Both of air/ice and ice/water interfaces make strong radar backscatterings and so we can clearly identify two peaks in measured data by scatterometer. By using the distance of two peaks and refractive index of ice, we confirmed that it is possible to measure ice thickness. Field survey was performed at the downstream of Jiam River flowing into Chuncheon Lake. We measured radar backscattering from river ice along a survey path and extracted ice thickness. The ice thickness map of the downstream of Jiam River was produced by using kriging which is one of well known interpolation methods. The ice thickness was about 50 cm along the mainstream while ice was thin as 30 ~ 40 cm at a fast-flowing meander. Ice thickness was particularly thinner at some locations than that of surrounding areas even in the mainstream region of constant flow. This was because of impurities in ice or artificially formed refrozen holes after fishing. We expect that this study helps to expand utilization field of X-band SAR and airborne scatterometer system.
Supported by : 국토해양부
- 김기영, 홍명호, 손호웅, 이주한, 2006a, 동결된 소양호에서의 지하투과레이다 시험탐사, 지질학회지, 42, 273-282.
- 김기영, 홍명호, 손호웅, 이주한, 2006b, 신호파형 역대합을 통한 지중레이다 자료의 수직해상도 향상, 지구물리, 9, 1-6.
- 이주한, 진영근, 홍종국, 홍성민, 김예동, 2005, GPR을 이용한 리빙스톤섬 빙하층 탐사, 지구물리, 8, 63-66.
- 한향선, 이훈열, 2010, 호수 얼음의 상변화에 따른 마이크로파 산란특성 연구, 2010 한국지구물리물리탐사학회 학술대회 초록집, 한국지구물리물리탐사학회, 강원대학교, 2010년 10월 7-8일, 춘천, 53-54.
- 황지환, 이경엽, 박성민, 오이석, 2009, X-밴드용 완전 편파 scatterometer 설계, 한국전자파학회논문지, 20, 1308-1315.
- Arcone, S. A., Finnegan, D. C., and Liu. L., 2006, Target interaction with stratigraphy beneath shallow, frozen lakes: Quater-wave resonances within GPR profiles, Geophysics, 71, K119-K131. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.2358404
- Dierking, W., Pettersson, M. I., and Askne, J., 1999, Multifrequency scatterometer measurements of Baltic Sea ice during EMAC-95, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 20, 349-372. https://doi.org/10.1080/014311699213488
- Fang, X., and Stefan, H. G., 1998, Potential climate warming effects on ice covers of small lakes in the contiguous U.S, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 27, 119-140. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-232X(97)00027-X
- Fung, A. K., 1994, Microwave Scattering and Emission Models and Their Applications, Artech House, Inc.
- Galley, R. J., Trachtenberg, M., Langlois, A., Barber, D. G., and Shafai, L., 2009, Observations of geophysical and dielectric properties and ground penetrating radar signatures for discrimination of snow, sea ice and freshwater ice thickness, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 57, 29-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2009.01.003
- Geldsetzer, T., Mead, J. B., Yackel, J. J., Scharien, R. K., and Howell, E. L., 2007, Surface-based polarimetric C-band scatterometer for field measurements of sea ice, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 45, 3405-3416. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2007.907043
- Gherboudj, I., Bernier, M., and Leconte, R., 2010, A backscatter modeling for river ice: Analysis and numerical results, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 48, 1788- 1798. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2009.2034256
- Isleifson, D., Langlois, A., Barber, D. G., and Shafai, L., 2009, C-band scatterometer measurements of multiyear sea ice before fall freeze-up in the Canadian Arctic, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 47, 1651-1661. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2008.2006566
- Lee, H., Chae, H., and Cho, S.-J., 2011, Radar backscattering of intertidal mudflats observed by Radarsat-1 SAR images and ground-based scatterometer experiments, IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 49, 1701-1711. https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2010.2084094
- Sadiku, M. N. O., 1985, Refractive index of snow at microwave frequencies, Applied Optics, 24, 572-575. https://doi.org/10.1364/AO.24.000572
- Stevens, C. W., Moorman, B. J., Solomon, S. M., and Hugenholtz, C. H., 2009, Mapping subsurface conditions within the nearzone of an Arctic delta using grounding penetrating radar, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 56, 30-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2008.09.005
- Williams, G., Layman, K. L., and Stefan, H. G., 2004, Dependence of lake ice covers on climatic, geographic and bathymetric variables, Cold Regions Science and Technology, 40, 145-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.coldregions.2004.06.010