- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Hearing Ability of Conger eel Conger myriaster caught in the Coast of jeju Island
제주 연안에서 어획된 붕장어의 청각 능력
- Ahn, Jang-Young (Marine and Environmental Research Institute, Jeju national university) ;
- Park, Yong-Seok (Resources Researches Institute, Jeju Special Self-Governing Provence) ;
- Choi, Chan-Moon (Department of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, Jeju national university) ;
- Kim, Seok-Jong (Department of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, Jeju national university) ;
- Lee, Chang-Heon (Department of Marine Industrial and Maritime Police, Jeju national university)
- 안장영 (제주대학교 해양과환경연구소) ;
- 박용석 (제주특별자치도 해양수산자원연구소) ;
- 최찬문 (제주대학교 해양산업경찰학과) ;
- 김석종 (제주대학교 해양산업경찰학과) ;
- 이창헌 (제주대학교 해양산업경찰학과)
- Received : 2012.10.02
- Accepted : 2012.11.14
- Published : 2012.11.30
In order to obtain the fundamental data about the behavior of conger by underwater audible sound, this experiment was carried out to investigate the hearing ability of Conger eel Conger myriaster which was in the coast of Jeju Island by heartbeat conditioning method using pure tones coupled with a delayed electric shock. The audible range of conger eel extended from 50Hz to 300Hz with a peak sensitivity at 80Hz including less sensitivity over 200Hz. The mean auditory thresholds of conger eel at the frequencies of 50Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 200Hz and 300Hz were 105dB, 92dB, 96dB, 128dB and 140dB, respectively. The positive response of conger eel was not evident after the sound projection of over 200Hz. At the results, the sensitive frequency range of conger eel is narrow in spite of swim bladder. Auditory masking was determined for Conger eel by using masking stimuli with the spectrum level range of about 60~70dB (0dB re
Hearing Ability;Conger eel;Underwater Audible Sound;Auditory threshold;Critical ratio
- Ahn JY, Lee CH, Kim YJ and Park YS. 1998. The auditory thresholds and fish behaviors to the underwater sounds for luring of target species at the set-net in the coast of Cheju (I). -The auditory threshold of the yellow tail (seriola quinqueradiata). Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 34, 386-392.
- Ahn JY, Lee CH, Kim YJ and Park YS. 1999. The auditory thresholds and fish behaviors to the underwater sounds for luring of target species at the set-net in the coast of Cheju (II). -Critical ratios of the yellow tail (seriola quinqueradiata). Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 35, 19-24.
- Ahn JY, Choi CM and Lee CH. 2011. Auditory characteristics of Tiger shark Scyliorhinus torazame caught in the coast of jeju island. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 234-240. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.3.234
- Anraku K. 1997. Auditory response in teleost midbrain and relationships between hearing and startle reflex. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 63, 114-115. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.63.114
- Hatakeyama Y. 1989. Masking effect on the hearing of red sea bream, Pagrus major, by ambient noise. Int J Aq Fish Tecnol 1, 271-277.
- Hatakeyama Y. 1992. The hearing abilities of fish. Fisheries Engineering 28, 111-119.
- Jerko H, I Turunen-Rise, PS Enger and O Sand. 1989. Hearing in the eel. J Comp Physiol A 165, 455-459. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00611234
- Kim SH, Lee CH, Seo DO and Kim YJ. 2002. A basic study on acoustic conditioning of fish suitable for a marine ranch, 1. The sound sensitivity of of japanese parrot fish Oplegnathus fasciatus. J Korean Fish Soc 35, 563-567. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2002.35.6.563
- Kojima T, Shimamura T, Yoza K, okumoto N, Hatakeyama Y and Soeda H. 1992. W-shaped auditory threshold curves of masu salmon Oncorhynchus masou. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 58, 1447-1452. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.58.1447
- Lee CH and Seo DO. 2000. The hearing ability of black rockfish sebates inermis to underwater audible sound, 1. The auditory threshold. J Korean Fish Soc 33, 581-584.
- Lee CH, Park YS, Moon JW, Ahn JY, Kim SJ and Seo DO. 1999. The hearing ability of the scorpion fish sebastiscus marmoratus to audible sound, 1. The auditory threshold. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 35, 156-160.
- Motomatsu K, Hiraishi T, Yamamoto K and Nashimoto K. 1996. Auditory threhold and critical ratio of black rockfish Sebastes schlegeli. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 62, 785-790. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.62.785
- Park CD. 2001. Conger-eel fisheries in korea. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 67, 127-128. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.67.127
- Park YS, Iida K and Nashimoto K. 1995. Ratio of auditory threshold levels to artificial background noise spectrum levels in walleye pollock Theragra chalcogramma. Nippon Suisan Gakkaishi 61, 847-853. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.61.847
- Seo YJ, Kim SH, Kim BY, Lee CH and Seo DO. 2003. A fundamental study on the auditory characteristics of Amberjack seriola dumerili in the coast of jeju island. Bull Kor Soc Fish Tech 39, 269-275. https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2003.39.4.269
- Hearing Ability of Bambooleaf wrasse Pseudolabrus japonicus caught in the coast of Jeju vol.25, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13000/JFMSE.2013.25.6.1381