- Volume 48 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Distribution characteristic of Octopus minor in the Tando Bay on the southwest coast of Korea
탄도만에 서식하는 낙지의 분포 특성
- Oh, Taeg-Yun (Fisheries Research Management Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Kim, Joo-Il (Southeast Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Seo, Young-Il (Fisheries Research Management Division, National Fisheries Research & Development Institute) ;
- Lee, Sun-Kil (Southeast Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI) ;
- Choi, Mun-Seung (Southeast Sea Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI)
- 오택윤 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 김주일 (국립수산과학원 남동해수산연구소) ;
- 서영일 (국립수산과학원 자원관리과) ;
- 이선길 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소) ;
- 최문성 (국립수산과학원 남서해수산연구소)
- Received : 2012.07.21
- Accepted : 2012.10.15
- Published : 2012.11.30
This study is to find out the distribution characteristic of Octopus minor in the Tando Bay on the southwest coast of Korea with conducting surveys from May of 2006 to April of 2007. Surveys were carried out at 20 stations on 2 and 3 tide time in the low speed of high tide at night and conducted during 30minutes (4 times fishing) per station. Catch per unit effort (CPUE) was estimated by total catch per 500hooks at each station. Monthly CPUE showed that they put highest in October, November, April and June at 10.4, 10.5, 9.4 and 7.7 individuals respectively. On the other hand, CPUE put lowest in January, the coldest month, and August, the hottest month, at 0.2 and 0.3 individuals respectively. As for geographical mantle length distribution, average mantle length ranged from 6.2cm to 7.3cm at stations near the tidal channels (St. 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19 and 20), and was smaller than 6.0cm at stations located inside of bay (St. 2, 3, 7, 11, 12 and 17). In terms of geographical distribution density, CPUE showed higher than 8.0 at St.4 in Changmaeri, St.8 in Taecheonri, St.13 near Seondo, St.18 in Naeri and St.14 in western part of Tando which are located near the main tidal channels. And distribution density showed low that CPUE was lower than 5.0 individuals at stations located inside of bay (St. 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12, 16 and 20). Through the results, the difference of distribution density reflects that distribution of Octopus minor is affected by direction of current and inflow of pollutant from land in direct. Therefore, it is considered that bottom composition of tidal flat and distribution of live food are the crucial cause of identifying the distribution characteristics of Octopus minor. For this reason, it is judged to need additional research on it.
Tidal flat;Tando Bay;Octopus minor;Distribution;Longline fishing
Supported by : 국립수산과학원
- Arguelles J, Rodhouse PG, Villegas P and Castilo G. 2001. Age, growth and population structure of the jumbo flying squid Dosidicus gigas in Peruvian waters. Fish Res 54, 51-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(01)00380-0
- Chang DJ and KIM DA. 2003. Characteristics by Behaviour and Habits of the Common Octopus (Octopus minor). J Kor Fish Soc 36, 735-742. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2003.36.6.735
- Cortez TD, Gonzalez AF and Guerra A. 1999. Growth of Octopus mimus (Cephalopoda, Octopodidae) in wild populations. Fish Res 42, 31-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(99)00040-5
- Herna ndez-Garcia V, Hernandez-Lopez JL and Castro-Hdez JJ. 2002. On the reproduction of Octopus vulgaris off the coast of the Cannry Islands. Fish Res 57, 197-203. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-7836(01)00341-1
- Jung JM and Kim DS. 2001. Influence of sea condition on catch fluctuation of long line for common octopus, octopus variddilis, in the coastal waters of Yosu (1). Bull Korean Soc Fish Tech 37, 321-325.
- Kim DS and KIM J. 2006. Sexual Maturity and growth Characteristics of Octopus minor. J Kor Fish Soc 39, 410-418. https://doi.org/10.5657/kfas.2006.39.5.410
- Kim ST, Kim JY, Kim JI and Hwang SD. 2004. Growth and spawning of common octopus (Octopus minor) in southern coast of Korea. Proc Symp Fish Sci Soc 2004, 362-363.
- Moon SH. 1989. A study on the morphology and biology of Octopus minor in Kyoungi bay, Yellow sea. M.S. Thesis, Inha University, Korea.
- NFRDI. 1999. Commercial Molluscs from the Freshwater and Continetal Shelf in Korea. Kukduck, 1-197.
- NFRDI. 2008. Fishing Gear of Korea. Hangul Graphics, 1-580.
- Oh TY, Kim JI, Seo YI, Lee SK, Cho MS, Joo H and Jeong SB. 2011. A utilization and Management of common octopus (Octopus minnor) resources in the Tando bay on the southwest coast of Korea. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 47, 18-26 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2011.47.1.018
- Park SW, Kim HY and Cho SK. 2006. Entering behavior and fishing efficiency of common octopus, Octopus minnor to cylindric trap. J Kor Soc Fish Tech 42, 11-18 https://doi.org/10.3796/KSFT.2006.42.1.011
- Ryu SO, You HS, Kim JY, Lee IG and Kim MJ. 1999. Distribution of the surface sediments and transport pattern of suspended matters during winter season in Tando Bay, the Southwestern coast of Korea. Jour Korean Earth Science Society 20, 486-496.
- Tanaka J. 1958. On the stock of Octopus vulgaris Lamarck on the east coast of Boso Peninsula, Japan. Bull Jap Soc Sci Fish 24, 603-607.
- Yamamoto T. 1942. On the ecology of Octous variabilis typicus (Sasaki) with special reference to its breeding habits. Wenus 12, 9-20.
- A Study on Maritime Traffic Characteristics according to Water Time(Multte) vol.21, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7837/kosomes.2015.21.5.501