- Volume 27 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Self-management on Supervisory Behaviors at a Construction Site
자기-관리 기법이 건설 현장 일선 관리자들의 안전 관리 행동에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2012.08.09
- Accepted : 2012.11.23
- Published : 2012.12.31
This study implemented self-management technique to improve supervisory behaviors at a construction site. Self-management in the current study consisted of goal setting, self-monitoring and providing reward for two supervisory behaviors; (1) conducting safety observations of workers safety behavior and (2) providing safe related feedback. Two supervisors severed as participants. An AB within-group design was adopted. After baseline(A), self-management technique was implemented(B). Results suggested that self-management was effective in increasing the two supervisory behaviors. Moreover, the increased supervisory behaviors were associated with improvement in workers' safety performance.
- B. Fernandez-Muniz, J. M. Montes-Peon1, C. J. Vazquez-ordas, "Safety Climate in OHSAS 18001- certified Organisations: Antecedents and consequences of safety behaviour" Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 45, pp. 745-758, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aap.2011.10.002
- S. Cook and T. McSween, "The Role of Supervisors in Behavioral Safety Observations" Professional Safety, Vol. 45, No. 10, pp. 33-36, 2000.
- S. Tuncel, H. Lotlikar, S. Salem, N. Daraishe, "Effectiveness of Behavior Based Safety Interventions to Reduce Accidents and Injuries in Workplace: Critical Appraisal and Meta-analysis" Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp. 191-209, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1080/14639220500090273
- R. A. Reber, J. A. Wallin, J. S. Chhokar, "Improving Safety Performance with Goal-setting and Feedback" Human Performance, Vol. 3, pp. 51-61, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327043hup0301_4
- M. D. Cooper, R. A. Phillips, V. J. Sutherland and P. J. Makin, "Reducing Accidents using Goal-setting and Feedback: A Field Study" Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 67, pp. 219-240, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1994.tb00564.x
- J. H. Williams and E. S. Geller, "Behavior-based Intervention for Occupational Safety: Critical Impact of Social Comparison Feedback" Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp. 135-442, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4375(00)00030-X
- J. A. Hermann, G. V. Ibarra and B. L. Hopkins, "A Safety Program that Integrated Behavior-based Safety and Traditional Safety Methods and its Effects on Injury Rates of Manufacturing Workers" Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 6-25, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1080/01608060903472445
- H. Laitinen and I. Ruohomaki, "The Effects of Feedback and Goal Setting on Safety Performance at Two Construction Site" Safety Science, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp. 61-73, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0925-7535(96)00070-7
- G. Luria, D. Zohar and I. Erev, "The Effect of Workers'Visibility on Effectiveness of Intervention Program: Supervisory-based Safety Interventions" Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 39, pp. 273-280, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2007.12.003
- D. Zohar, "Modifying Supervisory Practices to Improve Subunit Safety: A Leadership-Based Intervention Model" Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 87, No. 1, pp. 156-163, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.87.1.156
- D. Zohar and G. Luria, "The Use of Supervisory Practices as Leverage to Improve Safety Behavior: A Cross-level Intervention Model" Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 567-577, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2003.05.006
- J. L. Komaki, "Leadership from an Operant Perspective" New York: Routledge, 1998.
- M. D. Cooper, "Exploratory Analysis of the Effects of Managerial Support and Feedback Consequences on Behavioral Safety Maintenance" Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 1-41, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v26n03_01
- A. C. Daniels and J. E. Daniels, "Performance Management: Changing behavior that Drives Organizational Effectiveness" Tucker, GA: Performance Management Publilcation, 2004.
- A. D. Stajkovic and F. Luthans, " Meta-analysis of the Effects of Organizational Behavior Modification on Task Performance, 1975-95" Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 40, pp. 1122-1149, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2307/256929
- J. S. Hickman and E. S. Geller, "Self-Management to Increase Safe Driving Among Short-Haul Truck Drivers" Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol. 23, No. 4, pp. 1-20, 2003.
- M. J. Mahoney, "The Self-management of Covert Behavior A Case Study" Behavior Therapy, Vol. 2, pp. 575-578, 1971. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(71)80106-5
- M. J. Mahoney, "Research Issues in Self-management" Behavior Therapy, Vol. 3, pp. 45-63, 1972. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(72)80051-0
- E. S. Geller and S. W. Clarke, "Safety Self-management: A Key Behavior-based Process for Injury Prevention" Professional Safety, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 29-33, 1999.
- J. Barlow, C. Wright, J. Sheasby, A. Turner and J. Hainsworth, "Self-management Approaches for People with Chronic Conditions: a Review" Patient Education and Counseling, Vol. 48, pp. 177-187, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0738-3991(02)00032-0
- A. M. Briesch and S. M. Chafouleas, "Review and Analysis of Literature on Self-Management Interventions to Promote Appropriate Classroom Behaviors (1988-2008)" School Psychology Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp. 106-118, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0016159
- J. S. Hickman and E. S. Geller, "A safety self-management intervention for mining operations" Journal of Safety Research, Vol. 34, pp. 299-308, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-4375(03)00032-X
- B. Sulzer-Azaroff and D. Fellner, "Searching for Performance Target in the Behavioral Analysis of Occupational Health and Safety: An Assessment Strategy" Journal of Organizational Behavior Management, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 53-65, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1300/J075v06n02_09
- R. O. Nelson and S. C. Hayes, "Theoretical Explanations for Reactivity in Self-monitoring" Behavior Modification, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 3-14, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1177/014544558151001
- J. Cohen, "Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences" New York: Academics Press, 1988.
- 한국산업안전보건공단, "산업재해조사개요" 2011.
- S. J. Guastello, "Do We Really Know How Well Our Occupational Accident Prevention Program Work?" Safety Science, Vol. 16, pp. 445-463, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0925-7535(93)90064-K
- E. S. Geller, "The Psychology of Safety Handbook" Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2001.
- J. Krispin and D. A. Hantula, " Meta-analysis of Behavioral Safety Intervention in Organizations" Paper Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Academy of Management, Philadelphia, PA, 1996.
- H. W. Heinrich, D. Petersen and N, Roos, "Industrial Accident Prevention" New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1980.
- National Academy of Public Administration, "Firstl-ine Supervisors in the Federal Service: Their Selection, Development and Management. Report 2 of the 21st Century Federal Manager Series" Washington, DC: National Academy of Public Administration, 2003.