- Volume 21 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
A Structural Modeling for Switching Costs and Site Retention in Apparel Shopping Website
의류쇼핑 웹사이트 전환비용과 사이트 유지의 구조모델
- Kim, Eun Young (Dept. of Fashion Design Information, Chungbuk National Univ.)
- 김은영 (충북대학교 패션디자인정보학과)
- Published : 2012.12.31
This study estimates a structural model to examine the causal relationships among web browsing, switching cost, and site retention in the context of apparel shopping website. A total of 499 usable questionnaires were obtained from consumers aged from 20 to 49 years. For data analysis, exploratory factor analysis, confirmatory factor analysis and structural model were used. The result showed that consumer's perceived switching costs consisted of three factors: relationship cost, search cost and benefit loss cost. In estimated structural model, the relationship cost was influenced by leisure browsing; the search cost was influenced by informational browsing and leisure browsing; the benefit loss cost was influenced by leisure browsing. Especially, the leisure browsing was the most highly related to the benefit loss cost, and followed by relationship cost and search cost. However, hedonic browsing was not significantly related the factors of switching costs. The search costs significantly affected customer's intentions for site retention. A managerial implication was discussed for e-retailers in order to develop strategic switching costs in building long-term relationships with web browsers on the apparel shopping websites.
- Barroso, C. & Picon, A.(2012). Multi-dimensional analysis of perceived switching costs. Industrial Marketing Management, 41(3), 531-543. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indmarman.2011.06.020
- Barton, L., & Kang, J.(2005). The role of online browsing and prior knowledge on pre-purchase search and purchase behavior. Advances in Consumer Research, 32(1), 258-260.
- Bloch, P. H. & Richins, M. L.(1983). Shopping without purchase: An investigation of consumer browsing behavior. Advances in Consumer Research, 10(1), 389-393.
- Bloch, P. H., Ridgway, N. M., & Sherrell, D. L.(1989). Extending the concept of shopping: An investigation of browsing activity. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 17(1), 13-21. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02726349
- Bucklin, R. & Sismeiro, C.(2003). A model of web site browsing behavior estimated on clickstream data. Journal of Marketing Research, 40(3), 249-267. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.220.127.116.1141
- Byun, C. G. & Kim, S. B.(2009). The effects of perceived switching costs on relational commitment and behavior intention. Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, 10(2), 85-104. https://doi.org/10.15706/jksms.2009.10.2.004
- Choi, J-W.(2010). Measurements of network externality and switching cost for users' lock-in: Based on social media and social networking. Marketing Consulting Review, 1(2), 181-193.
- Dube, J-P., Hitsch, G. J., & Rossi, P. E.(2009). Do switching costs make markets less competitive? Journal of Marketing Research, 46 (4), 435-445. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.46.4.435
- Earl, P. E. & Potts, J.(2000). Latent demand and the browsing shopper. Managerial and Decision Economics, 21(3/4), 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/mde.976
- Hair, J. F., Anderson, R. E., Tatham, R. L., & Black, W. C.(1998). Multivariate Data Analysis. 5th eds. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- Han, S-L. & Park, C-K.(2000). Determinants of consumer buying intention in online environment: Analysis of flow concept. Korea Marketing Review, 15(1), 187-204.
- Huang, P., Lurie, N. H., & Mitra, S.(2009). Searching for experience on the web: An empirical examination of consumer behavior for search and experience goods. Journal of Marketing, 73(2), 55-69. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkg.73.2.55
- Jang, H-Y. & Chung, K-H.(2005). A study on the effects of switching cost, customer loyalty, and brand preference on customer satisfaction and repurchase intention in service industry. Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, 6(2), 187-214.
- Jones, M.A., Mothersbaugh, D. L., Beatty, S. E.(2002). Why customers stay: measuring the underlying dimensions of services switching costs and managing their differential strategic outcomes. Journal of Business Research, 55(6), 441-450. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(00)00168-5
- Ju, Y. H. & Park, S. H.(2002). Differential effect of conversion and conversion quantity: The relationship between search variety and conversion behavior in website. Journal of Consumer Studies, 13(4), 31-51.
- Jung, H. Y.(2001). A study on apparel store browser's browsing motives, shopping leadership and preferred store attributes. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 9(1), 86-99.
- Kim, E. Y.(2011). Effects of web browsing motivation and retail strategy on purchase conversion behavior for apparel. Korean Journal of Human Ecology, 20(4), 849-860. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2011.20.4.849
- Kim, J.. K. & Kim, S. H.(2004). Factors influencing the customer relationship duration in the online game service industry. Korea Marketing Review, 19(1), 131-158.
- Kim, Y. M. & Rhee, Y. S.(1998). Clothing consumers' non-purchase behavior: Browsing behavior outside the purchase context. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 22(6), 793-803.
- Lee, H. & Lee, H.(2003). The impacts of browsing on buying impulsiveness in internet shopping malls. Korean Business Review, 32(5), 1235-1263.
- Lee, S. & Yang, S.(2009). An integrative study on continued use of web-based information system: Focusing on online shopping sites. Journal of Information Technology Applications & Management, 16(1), 51-75.
- Lee, Y. S.(2004). A study on customer's switching cost and loyalty at site level: Focusing on internet shopping mall market. Journal of Marketing Management, 9(2), 109-133.
- Lee, Y. M. & Rhee, N. H.(2008). A study on the impact of service quality on service loyalty in the beauty service: The moderating roles of relationship quality and switching cost. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 10(5), 625-635.
- Lim, Y-W., Yoon, J-H., Park, E-J.(2007). The influence of internet travel agency switching cost on customer retention. Journal of Korean Tourism Research, 22(2), 173-190.
- Mazaheri, E., Richard, M.O., & Laroche, M.(2010). Investigating the moderating impact of hedonism on online consumer behavior. Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, 20(2):123-34. https://doi.org/10.1080/12297119.2010.9730185
- Moe, W. W.(2003). Buying, searching, or browsing: Differentiating between online shoppers using in-store navigational clickstream. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(1/2), 29-39. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP13-1&2_03
- Moon, Y-J.(2008). E-loyalty in the B2C context: The effects of website factors via e-satisfaction/trust and the moderating role of switching costs. Daehan Journal of Business, 21(2), 587-614.
- Na, K. J.(2009). A study on antecedents and consequences of switching costs in service companies. Korean Business Review, 38(5), 1381-1412.
- Novak, T. P., Hoffman, D.L., & Duhachek, A.(2003). The influence of goal-directed and experiential activities on online flow experiences. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 13(1&2), 3-16. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327663JCP13-1&2_01
- Park, E. J.(2005). Mediating effects of browsing on impulse buying behavior for fashion products. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(9/10), 1340-1348.
- Park, E. J., Kim, E. Y., Funches, V. M., & Foxx, W.(2012). Apparel product attributes, web browsing and e-impulse buying on shopping websites. Journal of Business Research, 65(11), 1583-1589. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2011.02.043
- Park, J.S., Kim, J. J., & Ko, J.(2008). A study of web analytics service's ongoing usage intention, Proceedings of Information Technology Applications & Management, 305-311.
- Pereira, P.(2004). Some implications of search and switching costs for the price dynamics of electronic markets. International Journal of the Economics of Business, 11(3), 303-327. https://doi.org/10.1080/1357151042000286429
- Park, S. Y. & Bae, S. W.(2010). The impact of core service quality and relational benefit on customer defection and recommendation intentions through customer satisfaction and switching barrier. Journal of Marketing Management, 15(1) 75-106.
- Rowley, J.(2001). Window shopping and browsing opportunities in cyberspace. Journal of Consumer Behaviour, 1(4), 369-378.
- Shin, I.(2003). A study on the measurement and determinants of switching cost on e-business. Korean Telecommunications Policy Review, 10(1), 95-123.
- Tan, G. W. & Wei, K. K.(2006). An empirical study of web browsing behavior: Towards an effective website design. Electronic Commerce Research & Applications, 5(4), 261-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.elerap.2006.04.007
- Thakor, M. V., Borsuk, W., & Kalamas, M.(2004). Hotlists and web browsing behavior—an empirical investigation. Journal of Business Research, 57(7), 776-786. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(02)00361-2
- Wang, E. S.(2010). The effects of browsing frequency and gender on the relationship between perceived control and patronage intentions in e-tail. International Journal of Electronic Commerce, 14(3), 129-144. https://doi.org/10.2753/JEC1086-4415140306
- Yoon, S. J., Im, S. K., & Choi, S. C.(2004). A study of the effects of relational benefits on customer loyalty of internet shopping providers. Journal of the Korea Service Management Society, 5(3), 107-136.