- Volume 54 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Plane of Nutrition on Growth Performance and Meat Quality Traits in Finishing Pigs
- Ha, Duck-Min (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Byung-Chul (Sunjin Co., Ltd.) ;
- Park, Man Jong (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Song, Young Min (Department of Animal Resources Technology, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Jin, Sang Keun (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Jae Hong (Swine Science & Technology Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, C. Young (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.10.25
- Accepted : 2012.12.15
- Published : 2012.12.31
The present study was performed to investigate the effects of the plane of nutrition on growth performance and meat quality traits, especially marbling and PSE (pale, soft, and exudative), in finishing pigs. One hundred and four barrows and 102 gilts born to Yorkshire
Finishing pig;Plane of nutrition;Growth;Carcass;Meat quality
- Schinckel, A. P., Einstein, M. E., Jungst, S., Matthews, J. O., Fields, B., Booher, C., Dreadin, T., Fralick, C., Tabor, S., Sosnicki, A. Wilson, E. and Boyd, R. D. 2012. The impact of feeding diets of high or low energy concentration on carcass measurements and weight of primal and subprimal lean cuts. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:531-540. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2011.11215
- Sutton, D. S., Ellis, M., Lan, Y., McKeith, F. K. and Wilson, E. R. 1997. Influence of slaughter weight and stress gene genotype on the water-holding capacity and protein gel characteristics of three porcine muscles. Meat Sci. 46:173-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(97)00006-5
- van Wijk, H. J., Arts, D. J. G., Matthews, J. O., Webster, M., Ducro, B. J. and Knol, E. F. 2005. Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J. Anim. Sci. 83:324-333. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832324x
- Warner, R. D., Kauffman, R. G. and Greaser, M. L. 1997. Muscle protein changes post mortem in relation to pork quality traits. Meat Sci. 45:339-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00116-7
- Kim, H. S. 2012. Strategies for producing high-quality domestic pork Handon which is distinct from imported pork (published in Korean). The Korean Swine Journal Aug. Issue, pp. 226-232.
- Lee, C. Y., Kim, M. H., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Oh, G. Y., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J. and Park, B. C. 2007. Effects of the energy level of the finisher diet on growth efficiency and carcass traits of 'high'-market weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:471-480. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.471
- Lee, C. Y., Lee, H. P., Jeong, J. H., Baik, K. H., Jin, S. K., Lee, J. H. and Sohn, S. H. 2002. Effects of restricted feeding, low-energy diet, and implantation of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on growth, carcass traits, and circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in finishing barrows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:84-93. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80184x
- Lee, Y. B. and Choi, Y. I. 1999. PSE (pale, soft, exudative) pork: the causes and solutions. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 12:244-252. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.1999.244
- MIFAFF. 2011. "Grading Standards for Livestock Products" (published in Korean). Notification No. 2011-46 of the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- MIFAFF. 2012. Statistics. The Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- Moon, H. K., Lee, S. D., Jung, H. J., Kim, Y. H., Park, J. C., Ji, S. Y., Kwon, O. S. and Kim, I. C. 2008. Effects of dietary lysine and leucine levels on growth performance and meat quality parameters in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 50:687-694. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.687
- NSNG. 2010. National Swine Nutrition Guide. U.S. Pork Center of Excellence (USPCE), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, U.S.A.
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Han, J. C., Sim, T. G., Park, B. C., Park, G. B., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2009. Effects of dietary energy level and slaughter weight on growth performance and grades and quality traits of the carcass in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 51:143-154. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.143
- Pettigrew, J. E. and Esnaola, M. A. 2001. Swine nutrition and pork quality: a review. J. Anim. Sci. 79 (Suppl.):E316-E342. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2001.79E-SupplE316x
- Piao, J. R., Tian, J. Z., Kim, B. G., Choi, Y. I., Kim, Y. Y. and Han, I. K. 2004. Effects of sex and market weight on performance, carcass characteristics and pork quality of market hogs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1452-1458. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1452
- RDA. 2010. Pork Quality and Sanitation Guide. Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea.
- Rehfeldt, C., Fiedler, I., Dietl, G. and Ender, K. 2000. Myogenesis and postnatal skeletal muscle cell growth as influenced by selection. Livest. Prod. Sci. 66:177-188. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-6226(00)00225-6
- Ruusunen, M., Partanen, K., Poso, R. and Puolanne, E. 2007. The effect of dietary protein supply on carcass composition, size of organs, muscle properties and meat quality of pigs. Livest. Sci. 107:170-181. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2006.09.021
- SAS. 1996. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- AOAC. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Apple, J. K., Maxwell, C. V., Brown, D. C., Friesen, K. G., Musser, R. E, Johnson, Z. B. and Armstrong, T. A. 2004. Effects of dietary lysine and energy density on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing pigs fed ractopamine. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3277-3287. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82113277x
- Barbut, S, Sosnicki, A. A., Lonergan, S. M., Knapp, T., Ciobanu, D. C., Gatcliffe, L. J., Huff-Lonergan, E. and Wilson. E. W. 2008. Progress in reducing the pale, soft and exudative (PSE) problem in pork and poultry meat. Meat Sci. 79:46-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.07.031
- Bee, G., Gebert, S. and Messikommer, R. 2002. Effect of dietary energy supply and fat source on the fatty acid pattern of adipose tissue and lean tissues and lipogenesis in the pig. J. Anim. Sci 80:1564-1574. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.8061564x
- Buckley, D. J., Morrissey, P. A. and Gray J. I. 1995. Influence of dietary vitamin E on the oxidative stability and quality of pig meat. J. Anim. Sci. 73:3122-3130. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.73103122x
- CIE. 1978. Recommendations on uniform color spaces-color difference equations, psychometric color terms. Supplement no. 2 to CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1) 1971/(TC-1-3). Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage, Paris.
- Ha, D. -M., Kim, G. D., Han, J. -C. Jeong, J. Y., Park, M. -J., Park, B.-C., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2010. Effects of dietary energy level on growth efficiency and carcass quality traits of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52: 191-198. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.3.191
- Jeong, J. Y., Park, B. C., Ha, D. M., Park, M. J., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2010a. Effects of increasing slaughter weight on production efficiency and carcass quality of finishing gilts and barrows. Korean J. Food Sci. Resour. 30:206-215. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.206
- Jeong, T. S., Heo, P. S., Lee, G. Y., Kim, D. H., Ju, W. S. and Kim, Y. Y. 2010b. The influence of phase feeding methods on growth performance, meat quality, and production cost in growing-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52:29-36. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.029
- Jin, S. K., Kim, I. S., Hur, S. J., Hah, K. H. and Kim, B. W. 2004. Effects of feeding period on carcass and objective meat quality in crossbred longissimus muscle. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 46:811-820. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.5.811
- Effects of the Plane of Nutrition on Physicochemical Characteristics and Sensory Quality Traits of the Muscle in Finishing Pigs vol.34, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.516
- Assessment of growth performance and meat quality of finishing pigs raised on the low plane of nutrition vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-015-0070-4
- Effects of the plane of nutrition for grower pigs on their grow-finish performance and meat quality in winter vol.61, pp.1, 2019, https://doi.org/10.5187/jast.2019.61.1.1