- Volume 54 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Low-Crude Protein and Lysine (Low CP/lys) Diet and a Yeast Culture Supplemented to the Low CP/lys Diet on Growth and Carcass Characteristics in Growing-finishing Pigs
- Ha, Seung-Ho (Pusan and Kyungnam Cooperative Swine Farms Feed Mill) ;
- Park, Byung-Chul (Sunjin Co., Ltd.) ;
- Son, Seung Won (Pusan and Kyungnam Cooperative Swine Farms Feed Mill) ;
- Ha, Duck-Min (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lee, C. Young (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2012.11.06
- Accepted : 2012.12.15
- Published : 2012.12.31
The present study was performed to investigate long-term effects of the low-crude protein and lysine (low CP/lys) diet and a yeast culture supplemented to the low CP/lys diet on growth and carcass characteristics in growing-finishing pigs. Forty-five gilts and 45 barrows weighing approximately 25 kg born to Yorkshire
Pig;Lysine;Yeast culture;Growth;Meat quality
- SAS. 1996. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Shen, Y. B., Piao, X. S., Kim, S. W., Wang, L., Liu, P., Yoon, I. and Zhen, Y. G. 2009. Effects of yeast culture supplementation on growth performance, intestinal health, and immune response of nursery pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 87:2614-2624. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1512
- Suzuki, K., Irie, M., Kadowaki, H., Shibata, T., Kumagai, M. and Nishida, A. 2005. Genetic parameter estimates of meat quality traits in Duroc pigs selected for average daily gain, longissimus muscle area, backfat thickness, and intramuscular fat content. J. Anim. Sci. 83:2058-2065. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.8392058x
- van Heugten, E., Funderburke, D. W. and Dorton, K. L. 2003. Growth performance, nutrient digestibility, and fecal microflora in weanling pigs fed live yeast. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1004-1012. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8141004x
- van Wijk, H. J., Arts, D. J. G., Matthews, J. O., Webster, M., Ducro, B. J. and Knol, E. F. 2005. Genetic parameters for carcass composition and pork quality estimated in a commercial production chain. J. Anim. Sci. 83:324-333. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.832324x
- Witte, D. P., Ellis, M., McKeith, F. K. and Wilson, E. R. 2000. Effect of dietary lysine level and environmental temperature during the finishing phase on the intramuscular fat content of pork. J. Anim. Sci. 78:1272-1276. https://doi.org/10.2527/2000.7851272x
- Kerr, B. J., McKeith, F. K. and Easter, R. A. 1995. Effect on performance and carcass characteristics of nursery to finisher pigs fed reduced crude protein, amino acid-supplemented diets. J. Anim. Sci. 73:433-440. https://doi.org/10.2527/1995.732433x
- Kil, D. Y., Lim, J. S., Tian, J. Z., Kim, B. G., Kim, K. S. and Kim, Y. Y. 2004. Effect of continuous feeding of probiotics on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood urea nitrogen and immune responses in pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.). 46:39-48. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.1.039
- Kim, H. -Y., Kim, Y. -J. and Park, G.-B. 2007. The effect of feeding probiotics, illite, active carbon and hardwood vinegar on the performance and fatty acid composition of finished pigs. Kor. J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 27:60-66. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.1.60
- Lee, C. Y., Kim, M. H., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Oh, G. Y., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J. and Park, B. C. 2007. Effects of the energy level of the finisher diet on growth efficiency and carcass traits of 'high'-market weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:471-480. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.471
- MIFAFF. 2007. "Grading Standards for Livestock Products" (published in Korean; translated into English). Notification No. 2007-40 of the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- MIFAFF. 2011. "Grading Standards for Livestock Products" (published in Korean). Notification No. 2011-46 of the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- Moon, H. K., Lee, S. D., Jung, H. J., Kim, Y. H., Park, J. C., Ji, S. Y., Kwon, O. S. and Kim, I. C. 2008. Effects of dietary lysine and leucine levels on growth performance and meat quality parameters in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 50:687-694. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.687
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- NSNG. 2010. National Swine Nutrition Guide. U.S. Pork Center of Excellence (USPCE), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, U.S.A.
- Park, J. C., Kim, Y. H., Jung, H. J., Lee, S. D., Cho, K. H., Kim, I. C., Lee, S. J. and Moon, H. K. 2006. Effects of dietary L-leucine levels in low-lysine diets on growth performance and meat quality parameters in finishing Duroc pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 48:813-818. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.6.813
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Han, J. C., Sim, T. G., Park, B. C., Park, G. B., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2009. Effects of dietary energy level and slaughter weight on growth performance and grades and quality traits of the carcass in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 51:143-154. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.143
- Pettigrew, J. E. and Esnaola, M. A. 2001. Swine nutrition and pork quality: a review. J. Anim. Sci. 79 (Suppl.):E316-E342. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas2001.79E-SupplE316x
- Price, K. L., Totty, H. R., Lee, H. B., Utt, M. D., Fitzner, G. E., Yoon, I., Ponder, M. A. and Escobar, J. 2010. Use of Saccharomyces cervisiae fermentation product on growth performance and microbiota of weaned pigs during Salmonella infection. J. Anim. Sci. 88:3896-3908. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2009-2728
- RDA. 2010. Pork Quality and Sanitation Guide. Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea.
- Apple, J. K., Maxwell, C. V., Brown, D. C., Friesen, K. G., Musser, R. E., Johnson, Z. B. and Armstrong, T. A. 2004. Effects of dietary lysine and energy density on performance and carcass characteristics of finishing pigs fed ractopamine. J. Anim. Sci. 82:3277-3287. https://doi.org/10.2527/2004.82113277x
- Binder, B. S., Ellis, M., Witte, D. P., Carr, S. N. and McKeith, F. K. 2004. Influence of dietary lysine level, pre-slaughter fasting, and rendement napole genotype on fresh pork quality. Meat Sci. 68:53-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2003.10.018
- Castell, A. G., Cliplef, R. L., Poste-Flynn, L. M. and Butler, G. 1994. Performance, carcass and pork characteristics of castrates and gilts self-fed diets differing in protein content and lysine: energy ratio. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 74:519-528. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas94-073
- Cisneros, F., Ellis, M., Baker, D. H., Easter, R. A. and McKeith, F. K. 1996. The influence of short-term feeding of amino acid-deficient diets and high dietary leucine levels on the intramuscular fat content of pig muscle. Anim. Sci. 63:517-522. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1357729800015411
- D'Souza, D. N., Pethick, D. W., Dunshea, F. R., Pluske, J. R. and Mullan, B. P. 2003. Nutritional manipulation increases intramuscular fat levels in the Longissimus muscle of female finisher pigs. Aust. J. Agr. Res. 54:745-749. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR03009
- Essen-Gustavsson, B., Karlsson, A., Lundstrom, K. and Enfalt, A.- C. 1994. Intramuscular fat and muscle fibre lipid contents in halothane-gene-free pigs fed high or low protein diets and its relation to meat quality. Meat Sci. 38:269-277. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1740(94)90116-3
- Ha, D.-M., Kim, G. D., Han, J.-C. Jeong, J. Y., Park, M.-J., Park, B.-C., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2010. Effects of dietary energy level on growth efficiency and carcass quality traits of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52:191-198. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.3.191
- Hong, J. W., Kim, I. H., Kwon, O. S., Kim, J. H., Min, B. J. and Lee, W. B. 2002. Effects of dietary probiotics supplementation on growth performance and fecal gas emission in nursing and finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 44:305-314. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.3.305
- Hyun, Y., Ellis, M., McKeith, F. K. and Baker, D. H. 2003. Effect of dietary leucine level on growth performance, and carcass and meat quality in finishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 83:315-318. https://doi.org/10.4141/A02-035
- Hyun, Y, Kim, J. D., Ellis, M., Peterson, B. A., Baker, D. H. and McKeith, F. K. 2007. Effect of dietary leucine and lysine levels on intramuscular fat content in finishing pigs. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 87:303-306. https://doi.org/10.4141/CJAS06042
- Jang, Y. D., Oh, H. K., Piao, L. G., Choi, H. B, Yun, J. H. and Kim, Y. Y. 2009. Evaluation of probiotics as an alternative to antibiotic on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, occurrence of diarrhea and immune response in weaning pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 51:25-32. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.1.025
- Jung, J. H., Hong, S. M., Kim, H. J., Meng, Q. W. and kim, I. H. 2010. Effect of probiotics in diet on growth performance, nutrient digestibilit, fecal microbial count, noxious gases emission from the feces, and blood profile in early-finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52:23-28. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.1.023
- Apple, J. K. 2010. Nutritional effects on pork quality in swine production. In: National Swine Nutrition Guide, pp. 288-299. U.S. Pork Center of Excellence (USPCE), Iowa State University, Ames, IA, USA.
- Effects of the Decreased Carcass Grade of Finishing Pigs due to Increasing Market Weight on Carcass Quality Traits and Physicochemical and Sensory Quality Characteristics of the Loin and Belly vol.55, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.3.203