- Volume 54 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Estimation of Growth Curve Parameters for Body Weight and Length in Miniature Pigs
- Kang, Hyun Sung (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Nam, Ki Chang (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Cabling, Meriam M. (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University) ;
- Lee, Myeong Seop (Medi Kinetics) ;
- Choi, Te Jung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Yoon, Jong Taek (Department of Animal Life Research, Hankyong National University) ;
- Seo, Kang Seok (Department of Animal Science, Sunchon National University)
- 투고 : 2012.08.08
- 심사 : 2012.12.13
- 발행 : 2012.12.31
This study was conducted to estimate the growth curve parameters for the body weight (BW) and body length (BL) of miniature pigs in Korea. Growth curve parameters were estimated through a nonlinear regression model using Gompertz, Logistic, and von Bertalanffy methods. A total of 25 piglets were measured monthly from birth up to 15 months of age to estimate both body weight and length. Results showed that the estimated average values for the body weight (body length) were 31.83 kg (58.77 cm) for the mature weight (A), 3.06 (1.74) for the growth ratio (
Growth curve;Gompertz;Mature weight;Miniature pig
연구 과제 주관 기관 : KOREA Institute of Planning and Evaluation for Technology in Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (IPET)
- Choi, T. J. 2006. A study on estimation of growth curve and correlation between body weight, measurements and carcass traits in Hanwoo (Bos Taurus Coreanae). Master thesis, Chonbuk National University, pp73-74.
- Gompertz, B. 1825. On nature of the function expressive of the law of human mortality, and on a new mode of determining the value of life contingencies. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. 115, 513-585. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstl.1825.0026
- Kang, H. S. 2011. studies on estimation of genetic parameters and breeding values for productive traits by each breed in a swine herd. Master's thesis, Jeonbuk National University, pp. 42-43.
- Koehn, F., Sharifi, A. R., Malovrh, S. and Simianer, H. 2007. Estimation of genetic parameters for body weight of the Goettingen minipig with random regression models. J. Anim. Sci. 85, pp2423-2428. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0098
- Lee, I. J. 2001. Estimation of genetic parameters of economic traits for two different final weights of the test and measuring medes and growth curve parameters in swine. A doctor's thesis, Seoul National University, pp 51-63.
- Moore, A. J. 1985. A mathematical equation for animal growth from embryo to adult. Anim. Prod. 40, 441-453. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040137
- Nelder, J. A. 1961. The fitting of generalization of the logistic curve. Biometrics. 17(1):89-110. https://doi.org/10.2307/2527498
- Oliveira, H. N., Lobo, R. B. and Pereira, C. S. 2000. Comparacao de modelos nao-lineares para descrever o crescimento de femeas da raca Guzera. Pesqui Agropecu. Bras. 35:1843-1851. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-204X2000000900017
- Robertson, T. B. 1908. On the normal rate of growth of an individual and its biochemical significance. Arch. Entwicklungsmechanik Org. 25, 581-614. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02163864
- Schinckel, A. P. 1994. Nutrient requirement of modern pig genotypes. In: Recent Advances in Animal Nutrition. Garnsworthy, P. C. ans Cole, D. J. A. (eds), University of Nottingham Press, Nottingham., pp.133.
- von Bertalanffy, L. 1957. Quantitative laws in metabolism and growth. Quart. Rev. Biol. 32:217. https://doi.org/10.1086/401873
- Wan, X., Zhong, W. and Wang, M. 1998. New flexible growth function and its application to the growth of small mammals. Growth Dev. Aging 62, 27-31.
- Wellock, I. J., Emmans, G. C. and Kyriazakis, I. 2004. Describing and predicting potential growth in the pig. Anim. Sci. 78, 379-388.
- Black, J. L., Campbell, R. G., Williams, I. H., James, K. J. and Davies, G. T. 1986. Simulation of energy and amino acid utilization in the pig. Res. Dev. Agri. 3, 121-145.
- Bridges, T. C., Turner, L. W., Smith, E. M., Stahly, T. S. and loewer, O. J. 1986. A mathematical procedure for estimation animal growth and body Composition. J. Asabe. 29(5), pp 1342-1347. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.30320
- Brody, S. 1945. Bioenergetics and growth. Rheinhold Pbubliching, New York.
- Brown, J. E., Fitzhugh, Jr. H. A. and Cartwright, T. C. 1976. A comparison of nonlinear models for describing weight-age relationship in cattle. J. Anim.
- Cho, Y., Yoon, H. B., Lee, Y. C., Seo, K. S., Kim, S. D. and Park, Y. I. 2001. A study on growth characteristics of Korean native pig (KNP) and Landrace using individual growth curve. Korean. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 43(6):817-822.
- Choi, M., Kim, B. H., Lee, J. T. H., Lee, W., Oh, J. E., S. J. and Cheong, J. C. 2004. A study on estimation of individual growth curve parameters and their relationships with meat quality traits of cross bred between Korean native boars and landrace sows. J. Anim. Sci. Tech. (Kor.) 46, 503-508. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.4.503