- Volume 31 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Quantization of LPC Coefficients Using a Multi-frame AR-model
Multi-frame AR model을 이용한 LPC 계수 양자화
- Received : 2011.11.14
- Accepted : 2012.01.20
- Published : 2012.02.29
For speech coding, a vocal tract is modeled using Linear Predictive Coding (LPC) coefficients. The LPC coefficients are typically transformed to Line Spectral Frequency (LSF) parameters which are advantageous for linear interpolation and quantization. If multidimensional LSF data are quantized directly using Vector-Quantization (VQ), high rate-distortion performance can be obtained by fully utilizing intra-frame correlation. In practice, since this direct VQ system cannot be used due to high computational complexity and memory requirement, Split VQ (SVQ) is used where a multidimensional vector is split into multilple sub-vectors for quantization. The LSF parameters also have high inter-frame correlation, and thus Predictive SVQ (PSVQ) is utilized. PSVQ provides better rate-distortion performance than SVQ. In this paper, to implement the optimal predictors in PSVQ for voice storage devices, we propose Multi-Frame AR-model based SVQ (MF-AR-SVQ) that considers the inter-frame correlations with multiple previous frames. Compared with conventional PSVQ, the proposed MF-AR-SVQ provides 1 bit gain in terms of spectral distortion without significant increase in complexity and memory requirement.
Supported by : 한국과학재단
- F. Itakura, "Line Spectrum Representation of Linear Predictive Coefficients of Speech Signal," J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., vol. 57, suppl. 1, pp. S35(A), 1975.
- 김해진, 강상원, "효율적인 LSF 양자화기를 이용한 QCELP 성능개선," 한국음향학회지, 16권, 1호, 10-15쪽, 1997.
- K. K. Paliwal and B. S. Atal, "Efficient Vector Quantization of LPC Parameters at 24 Bits/Frame," IEEE Trans. Speech and Audio Proc., vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 3-14, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/89.221363
- F. Nordin and T. Eriksson, "On split quantization of LSF parameters," IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech and Signal Proc., vol. 1, pp. I-157-60, 2004.
- S. So and K. K. Paliwal, "Switched split vector quantization of line spectral frequencies for wideband speech coding," in Proc. European Conf. Speech Commun. Tech (INTERSPEECH -2005), pp. 2705-2708, 2005.
- S. So and K. K. Paliwal, "Efficient product code vector quantization using the switched split vector quantizer," Digital Signal Proc., vol. 17, no. 1, pp. 138-171, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dsp.2005.08.005
- W. P. LeBlanc, B. Bhattacharya and S. A. Mahmoud, "Efficient Search and Design Procedures for Robust Multi-Stage VQ of LPC Parameters for 4 kb/s Speech Coding" IEEE Trans. Speech Audio Proc., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 373-385, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1109/89.242483
- T. Eriksson, J. Linden and Jan Skoglund, "Interframe LSF Quantization for Noisy Channels," IEEE Trans. Speech Audio Proc., vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 495-509, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/89.784102
- S. Chatterjee and T.V. Sreenivas, "Predicting VQ Performance Bound for LSF Coding," IEEE Signal Proc. Letter, vol. 15, pp. 166-169, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/LSP.2007.914786
- M. Sabin and R. Gray, "Global convergence and empirical consistency of the generalized Lloyd algorithm," IEEE Trans. Information Theory, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 148-155, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIT.1986.1057168
- Y. Linde, A. Buzo and R. Gray, "An Algorithm for Vector Quantization Design," Commun., IEEE Trans., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 84-95, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCOM.1980.1094577
- W. B. Kleijn, A Basis for Source Coding, Course notes, KTH, Stockholm, 2008.
- R. Salami, C. Laflamme, J.-P. Adoul and D. Massalux, "A Toll Quality 8 Kb/s Speech Codec for the Personal Communications System (PCS)," IEEE Trans. Vehicular tech., vol. 43, no. 3, part: 1-2, pp. 808-816, Aug. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/25.312763