- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Related Factors to Quality of Life among Hospitalized Cancer Patients Undergoing Chemotherapy
항암화학요법을 받은 입원 암환자의 삶의 질에 영향을 미치는 요인
- Jeong, Ji-Yeon (Chonnam National University) ;
- So, Hyang-Sook (College of Nursing, Chonnam National University, Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science) ;
- Hong, Ji-Eun (Chonnam National University) ;
- Chae, Myeong-Jeong (Christian Nursing College) ;
- Han, Geun-Hye (Chonnam Research Institute of Nursing Science)
- 정지연 (전남대학교 대학원 종양전문간호과정) ;
- 소향숙 (전남대학교 간호대학.전남대학교 간호과학연구소) ;
- 홍지은 (전남대학교 대학원 종양전문간호과정) ;
- 채명정 (기독간호대학) ;
- 한근혜 (전남대학교 간호과학연구소)
- Received : 2012.01.05
- Accepted : 2012.02.06
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify relationships between quality of sleep, symptom cluster, depression, environmental disorder, and quality of life among hospitalized cancer patients. Methods: The subjects were 114 patients who underwent chemotherapy for colon cancer, gastric cancer, gynecologic cancer and breast cancer. They were recruited from the cancer center of a university hospital. Data were collected from August 4th to 30th, 2011. The questionnaires included the Korean sleep scale A (quality of sleep), MDASI-K (symptom cluster), the environmental sleep disturbing scale, Zung's depression scale, and the Korean version of EORTC QLQ-C30. The collected data was analyzed by t-test, ANOVA, multiple regression analysis using the SPSS 19.0 program. Results: Functional QOL was negatively associated with symptom QOL (r=-.798, p<.001). Symptom cluster, depression, & spouse (46.3%) were the most powerful predictors for functional QOL (46.3%) and symptom QOL (53.4%). Conclusion: It is evident that oncology nurses need to evaluate two dimensions of quality of life for cancer patients, for example, functional and symptom QOL. We recommend nurses develop specific protocols for relieving physical symptoms and alleviating depression, and furthermore test the effectiveness of them.
- Jensen DP, Herr KA. Sleeplessness. Nurs Clin North Am 1993;28:385-405.
- Song MS, Kim SM, Oh JJ. Sleep pattern and related factors among community dwelling elderly. The Seoul Journal of Nursing 1997;11:24-38.
- Vena C, Parker K, Cunningham M, Clark J, McMillan S. Sleep-wake disturbances in people with cancer part I: An overview of sleep, sleep regulation, and effects of disease and treatment. Oncol Nurs Forum 2004;31:735-46. https://doi.org/10.1188/04.ONF.735-746
- Davidson JR, MacLean AW, Brundage MD, Schulze K. Sleep disturbance in cancer patients. Soc Sci Med 2002;54:1309-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(01)00043-0
- Mystakidou K, Parpa E, Tsilika E, Pathiaki M, Patiraki E, Galanos A, et al. Sleep quality in advanced cancer patients. J Psychosom Res 2007;62:527-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpsychores.2006.11.008
- Kim HS, Oh EG. An explanatory model for sleep disorders in people with cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2011;41:460-70. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.460
- Seo WS. Cancer-related sleep disorders. Sleep Med Psychophysiol 2009;16:10-15.
- Park JH, Lee SJ, Gwak JI, Shim JY, Lee JK. Sleep quality of breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in the outpatients setting. Korean J Fam Med 2010;31:778-85. https://doi.org/10.4082/kjfm.2010.31.10.778
- Katherine LB, Ann MB, Suzanne LB, Melissa AC. Impact of adjuvant breast cancer chemotherapy on fatigue, other symptoms, and quality of life. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33:E18-E26. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.E18-E26
- Catherine V, Kathy PP, Rebecca A, Donald LB, Sanjay J, Laura K. Sleep-wake disturbances and quality of life in patients with advanced lung cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2006;33:761-9. https://doi.org/10.1188/06.ONF.761-769
- Wayne AB, Jacqueline MM, Cheryl LR, Vicky AN, Cynthia AT, Janice AC, et al. Health-related quality of life in women previously treated for early-stage breast cancer. Psychooncology 2004;13:595-604. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.768
- Redeker NS. Insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and quality of life of cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy. Sch Inq Nurs Pract 2000;14:275-90.
- Smith EM, Gomm SA, Dickens CM. Assessing the independent contribution to quality of life from anxiety and depression in patients with advanced cancer. Palliat Med September 2003;17:509-13. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269216303pm781oa
- Johnson JR, Temple R. Food and drug administration requirements for approval of new anticancer drugs. Cancer Treat Rep 1985;69:1155-7.
- Gotay CC, Kawamoto CT, Bottomley A, Efficace F. The prognostic significance of patient-reported outcomes in cancer clinical trials. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:1355-63. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.13.3439
- Liu L, Fiorentino L, Natarajan L, Parker BA, Mills PJ, Sadler GR, et al. Pre-treatment symptom cluster in breast cancer patients is associated with worse sleep, fatigue and depression during chemotherapy. Psycho-oncology 2009;18:187-94. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.1412
- Kim GD, Kim KH. Symtom cluster and quality of life in patients with breast cancer undergoing chemotherapy. Korean J Adult Nurs 2011;23:434-45.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for behavioral science. New York: Academic Publishers;1988.
- Paik YN. Sleep disturbing factors and the relative significance in sleep of hospitalized elderly patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2000.
- Oh JJ, Song MS, Kim SM. Development and validation of Korean sleep scale A. J Korean Acad Nurs 1998;3:563-72.
- Yun YH, Mendoza TR, Kang IO, You CH, Roh JW, Lee CG, et al. Validation study of the Korean version of the M. D. Anderson Symptom Inventory. J Pain Symptom Manage 2006;31:345-51. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2005.07.013
- Zung WW. A Self-rating depression scale. Arch Gen Psychiatry 1965;12:63-70. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008
- Yun YH, Park YS, Lee ES, Bang SM, Heo DS, Park SY, et al. Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Qual Life Res 2004;13: 863-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021692.81214.70
- Ko MS. A study of sleep pattern, factors of sleep disturbance and sleep enhancement behaviors in hospitalized elderly patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Chung-Ang Univ.;2002.
- Cheng KK, Lee DT. Effects of pain, fatigue, insomnia, and mood disturbance on functional status and quality of life of elderly patients with cancer. Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology 2011;78:127-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.critrevonc.2010.03.002
- Paltiel O, Marzec-Boguslawska A, Soskolne V, Massalha S, Avitzour M, Pfeffer R, et al. Use of tranquilizers and sleeping pills among cancer patients is associated with a poorer quality of life. Qual Life Res 2004;13:1699-706. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-004-8745-1
- Theobald DE. Cancer pain, fatigue, distress, and insomnia in cancer patients. Clin Cornerstone 2004;6:1-8.