- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Pain Management in Cancer Patients Who Are Registered in Public Health Centers
보건소 등록 재가암환자가 지각하는 통증관리와 통증관리 방해 정도
- Choi, So-Young (College of Nursing, Gyeong-Sang National University, Institute of Health Science) ;
- Chang, Kyung-Oh (Department of Health Promotion, Jinju City Public Health Center) ;
- Park, Myoung-Nam (College of Nursing, Gyeong-Sang National University) ;
- Ryu, Eun-Jung (Department of Nursing, College of Medicine, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2011.09.22
- Accepted : 2012.01.18
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose: This study was designed to describe outcomes of pain management, to identify pain intensity, pain management and barriers to pain management, and to test correlation among the variables in cancer patients who are registered in public health centers. Methods: By using a descriptive survey design, 3 instruments were used to collect data: the Numeric Rating Scale for pain, the Barriers Questionnaire-Korean version, and a one-item self-report tool about patient satisfaction. A sample of 190 patients with cancer was recruited from a public health center. Results: The mean rating for pain during the past 24 hours was mild and the mean score of barriers to pain management was 3.20. Patients were satisfied with pain management but they also had concerns it. A negative correlation was found among pain severity, pain relief and satisfaction of pain management. However, there was not significant correlation between the patient-related barriers to pain management and other variables. Conclusion: These results suggest that the intervention for cancer patients should focus not only on patient-related barriers to pain management, but also address health-care system related barriers.
- The Korea Central Cancer Registry, National Cancer Center. Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2008. Seoul: Ministry of Health and Welfare;2010.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs. 2009 Tailored home visiting health service. Seoul: Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs;2009.
- Kim HT, Koh KW, Kim YM, Kang MS, Noh HS, Kim HR, et al. Pain management based on NCCN guideline in patients with lung cancer. Tuberc Respir Dis 2009;67:221-5. https://doi.org/10.4046/trd.2009.67.3.221
- Kuuppelomaki M. Pain management problems in patients' terminal phase as assessed by nurses in Finland. J Adv Nurs 2002;40:701-9. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02429.x
- Ryu EJ, Lee JM, Choi SY. The relationships of pain cognition, performance status, and hope with health-related quality of life in cancer patients. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2007;19:155-65.
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology: adult cancer pain National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Available at: http://www.nccn.org. [accessed on 10 August, 2011].
- Jacobsen R, Samsanaviciene J, Liuabarskiene Z, Sciupokas A. Barriers to pain management among Lithuanian cancer patients. Pain Pract 2010; 10(2):145-57. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1533-2500.2009.00333.x
- Korean Society for Hospice and Palliative Care, Korean Chemotherapy Study Group. Cancer pain relief guideline. Seoul: Koonja Publishers; 2002.
- Moon YM, Ham OK, Kim JH, Lim JY. Degree of pain, and barriers and satisfaction with pain management among home care cancer patients. J Korean Acad Public Health Nurs 2008;22:177-85.
- Kim KH, Jang WI, Joh YH, Choi IS, Park SR, Lee SY, et al. Evaluation of the adequacy of pain management in the admitted cancer patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2001;4(2):137-44.
- Kim H, Suh MJ. A study on patients' concerns about management of cancer pain and related factors. Korean J Rehabil Nurs 2000;3(1):43-58.
- Ward SE, Goldberg N, Miller-McCauley V, Mueller C, Nolan A, Pawlik-Plank D, et al. Patient-related barriers to management of cancer pain. Pain 1993;52:319-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(93)90165-L
- Yoon YR. A study on the pattern and management of pain in terminal cancer patients: based on patients at hospice facilities [dissertation]. Kimhae:Inje Univ.;2003.
- Statistics Korea. Annual report on the cause of death statistics. Daejeon: Statistics Korea;2010.
- Korea National Statistical Office. Annual report on the causes of death statistics (The nation). Daejeon: Statistics Korea;2010.
- National Cancer Information Center. Cancer information service. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_e/cics_e01/017/0161/index.html [accessed on 28 March, 2011].
- Cohen J. A power primer. Psychol Bull 1992;112(1):155-9. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.112.1.155
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. Cancer pain management guideline. National Cancer Information Center. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr. [accessed on 10 August, 2011].
- Yoon YR. Study on the pattern and management of pain in terminal cancer patients: based on patients at hospice facilities. [dissertation]. Kimhae:Inje Univ.;2002.
- Kim BH, Jung Y. Development of a community-based management system of home-stay cancer patients. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2001;4(2):154-60.
- Kim JH, Choi YS. Activities of a home hospice organization. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2000;3(1):18-27.
- Lee HS, Park SH, Chung YS, Lee B, Kwon SH. Evaluation of a community-based cancer patient management program: collaboration between a hospice center and public health Centers. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2010;13:216-24.
- Statistics Korea. Annual report on the household income and expenditure survey. Daejeon: Statistics Korea;2011.
- Ward SE, Hernandez L. Patient-related barriers to management of cancer pain in Puerto Rico. Pain 1994;58:233-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(94)90203-8
- Wilder-Smith CH, Schuler L. Postoperative analgesia: pain by choice? The influence of patient attitudes and patient education. Pain 1992;50:257-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-3959(92)90029-B
- Lee BN, Lee GE. Effects of pain control education on pain control barrier, postoperative pain and pain control satisfaction in gynecological patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2006;36:968-75. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.968
- Ng B, Dimsdale JE, Shragg GP, Deutsch R. Ethnic differences in analgesic consumption for postoperative pain. Psychosom Med 1996;58(2):125-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-199603000-00005
- McNeill JA, Sherwood GD, Starck PL, Nieto B. Pain management outcomes for hospitalized Hispanic patients. Pain Manag Nurs 2001;2(1):25-36. https://doi.org/10.1053/jpmn.2001.22039
- Brauer JA, El Sehamy A, Metz JM, Mao JJ. Complementary and alternative medicine and supportive care at leading cancer centers: a systematic analysis of websites. J Altern Complement Med 2010;16(2):183-6. https://doi.org/10.1089/acm.2009.0354
- Kwekkeboom KL, Cherwin CH, Lee JW, Wanta B. Mind-body treatments for the pain-fatigue-sleep disturbance symptom cluster in persons with cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 2010;39(1):126-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2009.05.022