- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Back Massage on Degree of Pain, State Anxiety and Quality of Sleep of Postoperative Patients with Gastrectomy
등마사지가 위암 수술 환자의 통증 정도, 상태불안 및 수면의 질에 미치는 효과
- Han, Mi-Suk (Chungnam National University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Kang-Yi (Department of Nursing, Daejeon University)
- Received : 2011.11.30
- Accepted : 2012.01.27
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose: Most of postoperative patients experience pain, state anxiety and sleep disturbance. These problems negatively influence the recovery of postoperative patients. So alleviating these problems has been one of the nurses' central roles. The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of back massage on pain, state anxiety and quality of sleep of postoperative gastrectomy patients. Methods: A non-synchronized non-equivalent control group pre and post-test design was used. The research instruments used in this study were the Numerical Rating Scale (NRS) for pain, the State-Anxiety Inventory (STAI) for anxiety and the Verran and Synder-Halpern scale for quality of sleep. The subjects were patients admitted to a university hospital located in D city. Twenty-nine patients in the experimental group had a 10 minute manual back massage stimulation for 5 days from the 1st day to the 5th day after their operation, and 25 patients in the control group did not. Results: The degree of pain was significantly reduced according to post operation day and quality of sleep was significantly increased. However state anxiety was not significantly reduced. Conclusion: Back massage is a partially effective nursing intervention for postoperative patients with gastrectomy who experience pain and sleep disturbance.
- Bae SH. Treatment of gastric cancer-overview of surgical treatment. Dongguk Medi J 2003;10(2):104-10.
- William NM, Paula PS. Mood:the frame of mind. New York:Springer-Verlag Publishers;1989.
- Kwak MJ. A study on the relationship of pain, anxiety, and sleep in the cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Ewha Womans Univ.;2001.
- Baik HG. The effectiveness of foot-reflexo-massage to premenstrual syndrome and dysmenorrhea [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul Univ.;1999.
- Lee GJ, Jang CJ, Jo HS. Effects of full body massage on labor pain and delivery stress reaction for primipara during labor. Korean J Womans Health Nurs 2003;9:224-34.
- Harris M, Richards KC. The physiological and psychological effects of slow-stroke back massage and hand massage on relaxation in older people. J Clinical Nurs 2010;19:917-26. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2009.03165.x
- Park JS. Theory, practice and research trends on pain role theory. J Nursing Query 1995;4(1):52-70.
- Ham YL. Effects of back massage on pain, mood and wound healing in the patients with gastrectomy. J Nursing Query 2003;12(2):128-49.
- Park SA. The effect of aroma hand massage on sleep disturbance and depression in hospitalized elderly patients [dissertation]. Busan:Dong Eui Univ.;2007.
- Kim MH. The effects of aroma foot massage on the anxiety and the pain during colonoscopy with conscious sedation [dissertation]. Daegu: Daegu Catholic Univ.;2006.
- Kyong BS. The effectiveness of reflexology on pain, anxiety, quality of sleep in patients with terminal cancer [dissertation]. Daejeon:Daejeon Univ.;2006.
- Dunwoody L, Smyth A, Davidson R. Cancer patients' experiences and evaluations of aromatherapy massage in palliative care. Int J Palliat Nurs 2002;8:497-504. https://doi.org/10.12968/ijpn.2002.8.10.10696
- Goodfellow LM. The effects of therapeutic back massage on psychophysiologic variables and immune function in spouses of patients with cancer. Nurs Res 2003;52:318-28. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006199-200309000-00006
- Kim KJ. The effects of aroma massage on contraction of uterus, duration of delivery time, stress, anxiety and pain during delivery [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2004.
- Choi MO. The effects of aroma massage on stress in cancer patients receiving chemotherapy [dissertation]. Seoul:Kyunghee Univ.;2004.
- Kim EJ. The effect of the back massage on pain and anxiety of the postoperative patients received hysterectomy [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul Univ.;1999.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for behavioral sciences. New York: Academic Press;1988;553-8.
- Spielberger CD. Anxiety as an emotional state. In: Spielberger CD, Barratt ES, editors. Anxiety: current trends in theory and research. New York:Academic Press;1972.p.23-49.
- Kim JT, Shin DK. A Study Based on the standardization of the STAI (State-Anxiety Inventory) for Korea. New Medical J 1978;21(11):69-75.
- Synder-Halpern R, Verran JA. Instrumentation to describe subjective sleep characteristics in healthy subjects. Res Nurs Health 1987;10:155-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770100307
- Oh JJ, Song MS, Kim SM. Study to develop and validate Korean Sleep Scale A. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 1998;28:563-72. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1918.104.22.1683
- Kim HY. A survey of sleep state, sleep promoting activities, sleep disturbing factors and their relationship in abdominal & thoracic surgery patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul Univ.;2001.
- Snyder M, Egan EC, Burns KR. Efficacy of hand massage in decreasing agitation behaviors associated with care activities in persons with dementia. Geriatr Nurs 1995;16(2):60-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0197-4572(05)80005-9
- Weinrich SP, Weinrich MC. The effect of massage on pain in cancer patients. Appl Nurs Res 1990;3(4):140-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0897-1897(05)80135-1
- Lidell L, Thomas S, Beresford-Cooke C, Porter A. The book of massage: the complete step-by-step guide to Eastern and Western techniques. New York:Simon and Schuster Publishers;1984.
- Turk DC, Flor H. Chronic pain: a biobehavioral perspective. In: Gatchel RJ, Turk DC, editors. Psychosocial factors in pain : Critical Perspectives. New York:Guilford Press;1999. p. 18-34.
- Longworth JC. Psychophysiological effects of slow stroke back massage in normotensive females. Adv Nurs Sci 1992;6:44-61.
- Shin HJ. The effect of slow stroke back massage (SSBM) on the change of stress-related hormone levels and sleep quality in patients with post-stroke hemiplegia [dissertation]. Gyeonggi:Pocheon CHA Univ.;2006.
- Groeer M, Boynton M, Mozingo J, Dropplenian P, Dabis K. Measures of salivary secretory immunoglobulin A and state anxiety after a nursing back rub. Appl Nurs Res 1994;7(1):2-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0897-1897(94)90013-2
- Kim HS, Lee HL. The effect of slow stroke back massage on anxiety and immune response in the patients undergoing open heart surgery. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 1998;28:980-91. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.1922.214.171.1240