- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Stress and Coping Strategies of Breast Cancer Patients and their Spouses
유방암 환자와 배우자의 스트레스와 대처방식
- Cha, Kyeong-Sook (Department of Infection Control, St. Vincent's Hospital) ;
- Yoo, Yang-Sook (College of Nursing, The Catholic University) ;
- Cho, Ok-Hee (College of Nursing, Jeju National University)
- Received : 2011.11.25
- Accepted : 2012.01.07
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the stress and the coping strategies in breast cancer patients and their spouses. Methods: The stress level was measured by the Stress Questionnaire of Andersson & Albertsson (2000). The coping strategies were measured by the modified Lazarus & Folkman's Ways of Coping Questionnaire. The data were collected by a survey sampling 49 couples from one hospital in Seoul. The data were analyzed by t-test, ANOVA and paired t-test. Results: There was no significant differences between the stress level of breast cancer patients and their spouses. The problem-focused coping of breast cancer patients was significant higher than their spouses. The cancer patients and their spouses used problem-focused coping mode more than emotion-focused coping mode. In the problem-focused coping mode, breast cancer patients used two coping strategies - 'seeking information' and 'cognitive reconstruction' - significantly more than their spouses. In emotion-focused coping mode, the breast cancer patients used one coping strategy, 'emotional expression', significantly more than the their spouses. Conclusion: Further study needs to attempt to develop nursing interventions that could improve positive coping strategies.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare. Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2009. Seoul:Ministry of Health & Welfare; 2011.
- Lee KJ, Song YS, Cho JK, Jun HK. Development of self-efficacy enhancing program to improve the quality of life for breast cancer patients-with Emphasis on psychosocial perspectives. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2007;16:456-68.
- Ben-Zur H, Gilbar O, Lev S. Coping with breast cancer: patient, spouse, and dyad models. Psychosom Med 2001;63:32-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-200101000-00004
- Petrie W, Logan J, DeGrasse C. Research review of the supportive care needs of spouses of women with breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 2001;28:1601-7.
- Northhouse LL, Templin T, Mood D, Oberst M. Couples' adjustment to breast cancer and benign breast disease: a longitudinal analysis. Psychooncology 1998;7:37-48. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1611(199801/02)7:1<37::AID-PON314>3.0.CO;2-#
- Kilpatrick MG, Kristjanson LJ, Tataryn DJ, Fraser VH. Information needs of husbands of women with breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 1998;25:1595-601.
- Felton BJ, Revenson TA, Hinrichsen GA. Stress and coping in the explanation of psychological adjustment among chronically ill adults. Soc Sci Med 1984;18:889-98. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(84)90158-8
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S. Stress, appraisal and coping. New York:Springer; 1984.
- Gang GS. Effects of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program on the Perceived Stress, Way of Coping, and Response in Breast Cancer Patients [dissertation]. Gwangju:Chonnam National Univ.;2007.
- Kim HS. Correlation between stress, coping patterns and physical symptom of cancer patient's caregiver. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2001;13:317-26.
- Shin GY, Kim MJ. Factors Influencing stress appraisal of cancer patients' primary caregivers. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2002;14:125-34.
- Yang YH. The relationship of caregiving stress, coping methods, social support and health of the caregivers of patients with cancer according to the phases of cancer illness. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1998;10:435-45.
- Kim HS. The comparison of the stress and coping methods of cancer patients and their caregivers. J Korean Acad Nurs 2003;33:538-43. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.5.538
- Andersson SI, Albertsson M. Stress and situationally related coping in cancer out-patients and their spouses. Stress Health 2000;16:209-17.
- Park JY. A study on self management, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), and perceived health status for the type II diabetes patients. J Korean Biol Nurs Sci 2010;12:106-13.
- Han GH, Lee JH, Ryff C. Marks N, Ok SW, Cha SE. Health status and health behavior of middle-aged Korean men and women. J Korean Home Economics Association 2003;41:213-29.
- Park JH, Yom YH, Lee KE. Factors affecting perceived health of elders in welfare centers for senior citizens. J Korean Acad Fundam Nurs 2009;16:264-71.
- Shin BJ. Factors affecting the depression in older adults staying at home [dissertation]. Seoul:Chungang Univ.;2007.
- Kang YH, Kim MY, Lee E. The relationship of perceived health status, activities of daily living and nutrition status in the community-dwelling Korean elderly. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:122-30. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.1.122
- Mouridson HT, Palshof T. Principles and indications of endocrine treatment of advanced breast cancer. Recent Results Cancer Res 1980;71:112-7.
- Kim JN. Efficacy of an integrated group psychotherapy on the quality of life and immune function in brest cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul: Korea Univ.;2007.
- Ruddy KJ, Gelber S, Ginsburg ES, Schapira L, Abusief ME, Meyer ME, et al. Menopausal symptoms and fertility concerns in premenopausal breast cancer survivors: a comparison to age-and gravidity-matched controls. Menopause 2011;18:105-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/gme.0b013e3181ef39f8
- Strickler R, Stovall DW, Merritt D, Shen W, Wongf M, Silfen SL. Raloxifene and estrogen effects on quality of life in healthy postmenopausal women: a placebo-controlled randomized trial. Obstet Gynecol 2000;96:359-65.
- Folkman S, Lazarus RS, Dunkel-Schetter C, DeLongis A, Gruen RJ. Dynamic of a stressful encounter: Cognitive appraisal, coping, and encounter outcomes. J Pers Soc Psychol 1986;50:992-1003. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.522
- Fawzy NW. A psychoeducational nursing intervention to enhance coping and affective state in newly diagnosed malignant melanoma patients. Cancer Nurs 1995;18:427-36.
- Krause K. Coping with cancer. West J Nurs Res 1993;15:31-43. https://doi.org/10.1177/019394599301500103
- Lavery JF. Clarke VA. Causal attributions, coping strategies, and adjustment to breast cancer. Cancer Nurs 1996;19:20-8. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199602000-00003
- Mallinger JB, Griggs JJ, Shields CG. Family communication and mental health after breast cancer. Eur J Cancer Care 2006;15:355-61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2006.00666.x