- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Associations between Health Behaviors and Health-Related Quality of Life among Breast Cancer Survivors
- Kim, Soo-Hyun (Department of Nursing, Inha University) ;
- Yun, Young-Ho (Seoul National University College of Medicine)
- Received : 2011.11.23
- Accepted : 2012.01.03
- Published : 2012.02.29
Purpose: To examine the levels of physical activity (PA) and diet quality, socio-demographic and clinical correlates, and identify associations with health-related quality of life (HRQOL) among breast cancer survivors. Methods: The study used a cross-sectional study design. A total of 74 breast cancer survivors who had completed their primary cancer therapy were recruited from a comprehensive cancer center in Korea. Measurements used included the International Physical Activity Questionnaire, the Diet Quality Index, and the EORTC QLQ-C30. Results: Only twenty-six women (35.1%) met the American Cancer Society criteria of weekly PA, while most participants (93.2%) displayed good or excellent diet quality. Those less likely to meet the PA criteria were older women, women who had a lower economic level, and women not receiving anti-hormone therapy. However, there was no significant factor associated with diet quality. Women who met the criteria for PA displayed significantly better global QOL than women who did not meet the criteria. No significant differences were found in HRQOL between women who did and did not meet the diet quality criteria. Conclusion: Nurses should be aware of breast cancer survivors who are older and who have a low economic status when assessing and screening the level of PA to improve HRQOL.
Supported by : National Cancer Center
- Demark-Wahnefried W, Aziz NM, Rowland JH, Pinto BM. Riding the crest of the teachable moment: Promoting long-term health after the diagnosis of cancer. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:5814-30. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.01.230
- Hewitt M, Greenfield S, Stovall EL. Institute of Medicine and National Research Council: From patient to cancer survivors: Lost in transition. 1st ed. Washington DC:National Academies Press;2005.
- Bellizzi KM, Rowland JH, Jeffery DD, McNeel T. Health behaviors of cancer survivors: Examining opportunities for cancer control intervention. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:8884-93. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.02.2343
- Eakin EG, Youlden DR, Baade PD, Lawler SP, Reeves MM, Heyworth JS, et al. Health behaviors of cancer survivors: Data from an Australian population-based survey. Cancer Causes Control 2007;18:881-94. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-007-9033-5
- Fitzgerald B. Review: Regular exercise improves quality of life and physical fitness in women with breast cancer. Evid Based Nurs 2007:10:12. https://doi.org/10.1136/ebn.10.1.12
- Mosher CE, Sloane R, Morey MC, Snyder DC, Cohen HJ, Miller PE, et al. Associations between lifestyle factors and quality of life among older long-term breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer survivors. Cancer 2009;115:4001-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.24436
- Wayne SJ, Baumgartner K, Baumgartner RN, Bernstein L, Bowen DJ, Ballard-Barbash R. Diet quality is directly associated with quality of life in breast cancer survivors. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2006;96:227-32. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-005-9018-6
- Holmes MD, Chen WY, Feskanich D, Kroenke CH, Colditz GA. Physical activity and survival after breast cancer diagnosis. JAMA 2005;293:2479-86. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.293.20.2479
- Pierce JP, Stefanick ML, Flatt SW, Natarajan L, Sternfeld B, Madlensky L, et al. Greater survival after breast cancer in physically active women with high vegetable-fruit intake regardless of obesity. J Clin Oncol 2007;25:2345-51. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.08.6819
- Demark-Wahnefried W, Jones LW. Promoting a healthy lifestyle among cancer survivors. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 2008;22:319-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hoc.2008.01.012
- Beesley VL, Eakin EG, Janda M, Battistutta D. Gynecological cancer survivors' health behaviors and their associations with quality of life. Cancer Causes Control 2008;19:775-82. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-008-9140-y
- Alfano CM, Rowland JH. Recovery issues in cancer survivorship: A new challenge for supportive care. Cancer J 2006;12:432-43. https://doi.org/10.1097/00130404-200609000-00012
- Doyle C, Kushi LH, Byers T, Courneya KS, Demark-Wahnefried W, Grant B, et al. Nutrition and physical activity during and after cancer treatment: An American Cancer Society guide for informed choices. CA Cancer J Clin 2006;56:323-53. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.56.6.323
- Blanchard CM, Stein KD, Baker F, Dent MF, Denniston MM, Courneya KS, et al. Association between current lifestyle behaviors and health-related quality of life in breast, colorectal, and prostate cancer survivors. Psychol Health 2004;19:1-13.
- Mayer DK, Terrin NC, Menon U, Kreps GL, McCance K, Parsons SK, et al. Health behaviors in cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2007;34:643-51. https://doi.org/10.1188/07.ONF.643-651
- Min HS, Park SY, Lim JS, Park MO, Won HJ, Kim JI. A study on behaviors for preventing recurrence and quality of life in breast cancer survivors. I Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:187-94. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.2.187
- Kim SH, Shin MS, Lee HS, Lee ES, Ro JS, Kang HS, et al. Randomized pilot test of a simultaneous stage-matched exercise and diet interventions for breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2011;38:E97-E106. https://doi.org/10.1188/11.ONF.E97-E106
- Craig CL, Marshall AL, Sjostrom M, Bauman AE, Booth ML, Ainsworth BE, et al. International physical activity questionnaire: 12-country reliability and validity. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2003;35:1381-95. https://doi.org/10.1249/01.MSS.0000078924.61453.FB
- Korean Nutrition Society. Using DRIs for Korean dietary standard. Available at: http://www.kns.or.kr [accessed on 9 July, 2007].
- Patterson RE, Haines PS, Popkin BM. Diet quality index: Capturing a multidimensional behavior. J Am Diet Assoc 1994;94:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-8223(94)92042-7
- Oh KW, Nam CM, Park JW, Yoon JY, Sim JS, Lee KH. A case control study on diet quality and risk for coronary heart disease in Korean men. J Korean Nutr Soc 2003;36:613-21.
- Korean Nutrition Society. Recommended dietary allowances for Koreans. 6th ed. Seoul:Korean Nutrition Society;1995.
- Korean Society of Lipidology & Atherosclerosis. Guidelines for treatment of hyperlipidemia. 1st ed. Seoul:Korean Society of Lipidology & Atherosclerosis;1996.
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, Bullinger M, Cull A, Duez NJ, et al. The European organization for research and treatment of cancer QLQ-C30: Quality-of-life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology. J Natl Cancer Inst 1993;85:365-76. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/85.5.365
- Fayers PM, Aaronson N, Bjordal K, Groenvold M, Curran D, Bottomley A. The EORTC QLQ-C30 scoring manual. 3rd ed. Brussels: European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer;2001.
- Yun YH, Park YS, Lee ES, Bang SM, Heo DS, Park SY, et al. Validation of the Korean version of the EORTC QLQ-C30. Qual Life Res 2004;13:863-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:QURE.0000021692.81214.70
- Blanchard CM, Courneya KS, Stein K. Cancer survivors' adherence to lifestyle behavior recommendations and associations with health-related quality of life: Results from the American Cancer Society's SCS-II. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:2198-204. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2007.14.6217
- Boehm DU, Lebrecht A, Eckhardt T, Albrich S, Schmidt M, Siggelkow W, et al. Quality of life and adjuvant tamoxifen treatment in breast cancer patients. Euro J Cancer Care 2009;18:500-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2008.01015.x
- Courneya KS, Mackey JR, Bell GJ, Jones LW, Field CJ, Fairey AS. Randomized controlled trial of exercise training in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors: Cardiopulmonary and quality of life outcomes. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:1660-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2003.04.093
- Ohira T, Schmitz KH, Ahmed RL, Yee D. Effects of weight training on quality of life in recent breast cancer survivors: The weight training for breast cancer survivors (WTBS) study. Cancer 2006;106:2076-83. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21829