- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A Research on the Extended Definition of Educational Serious Game and Guiding Directions through Categorizations of Serious Games
교육을 위한 기능성 게임 연구의 확장적 정의와 범주화를 통한 기능성 게임 연구의 발전방향에 대한 연구
- Kim, Sa-Hoon H. (Indiana University)
- 김사훈 (인디애나 대학)
- Received : 2012.01.11
- Accepted : 2012.02.07
- Published : 2012.02.20
The study was conducted for cohering academical achievement of serious game studies as well as for attempting to give directions for interdisciplinary development. The purpose of the study were, first, it provides a rationale for integrating game studies lied scattered into a game study field or game industry. Second, by providing exemplary studies according to categories and by analyzing how those studies have been studied, this study provides a milestone for future researchers who are interested in serious game studies. In the article, the author suggests the extended definition of educational serious game study. The educational serious game study is "the study which investigates educational affordances of game including both explicitly intended designed for education and designed for fun but having implicit educational meanings, through the context of formal educational settings as well as informal environments." The author also researched how extended educational serious game studies have been researched according to four categories; game studies which researched educationally designed serious games, commercial games used for educational fields, educational serious games for informal learning, and those found meanings of games. This study has scholarly significance, especially on game study fields. for delineating game studies, a range of proposed and actual applications of educational serious game are reviewed, guiding directions for future studies.
- Kim, S. H, "An Instructional Design for an Integrated English Language Curriculum with 3D Virtual World Affordances", Doctoral dissertation. University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 2008.
- Gee, J. P, "What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy (2nd ed)", NewYork, NY: PalgraveMacmillan, 2003.
- Squire, K. D, "Replaying History: Learning World History through playing Civilization III" Doctoral dissertation. University of Indiana, Bloomington, IN, 2004.
- de Freitas, S., & Veletsianos, G, "Editorial: Crossing boundaries: Learning and teaching in virtual worlds." British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 3-9, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2009.01045.x
- 이지연, 김사훈(2010). 3차원 가상세계의 교육적 활용 연구의 국내.외 연구동향 분석, 교육공학연구, 26(3), 163-183.
- Prensky, M, "Digital game-based learning", New York: McGraw-Hill, 2001.
- Oblinger, D, "Boomers, gen-xers, and millennials: Understanding the new students", Educause, Vol. 38, No. 4, pp. 37-47, 2003.
- 김사훈, 박상욱(2010). 전문가 집단 양성을 위한 프로게이머 발달 및 학습 모형 연구. 한국게임학회 논문지, 10(4), 23-34.
- Gee, J. P, "Good video games and good learning: Collected essays on video games, learning, and literacy", New York: Peter Lang, 2007.
- Delwiche, A, "Massively multiplayer online games(MMOs) in the new media classroom." Educational Technology & Society, Vol. 9, No. 3, pp. 160-172, 2006.
- Steinkuehler, C., & Williams, D, "Where everybody knows your(screen) name: Online games as 'Third Places'", Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, Vol. 11, pp. 885-909, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1083-6101.2006.00300.x
- Gee, J. P., & Levine, M. H. "Welcome to Our virtual Worlds. Educational Leadership", pp. 48-52, 2009, March.
- Barab, S., Thomas, M., Dodge, T., Carteaux, R. & Tuzun, H. "Making learning fun: Quest Atlantis, A game without guns", Educational Technology Research and Development, Vol. 53, pp. 86-107, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02504859
- Bonk, C. J., & Dennen, V. P, "Massive multiplayer online gaming: A research framework for military training and education. (Technical Report # 2005-1)". Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Defense(DUSD/R): Advanced Distributed Learning(ADL) Initiative, 2005.
- Gredler, M. E, "Educational games and simulations: A technology in search of a (research) paradigm". In D.H. Jonassen(Ed.), Handbook of Research for Educational Communications and Technology(pp. 521-540). New York, NY: Simon & Schuster Macmillan, 1996.
- Prensky, M, "Don't bother me mom, I'm learning", St. Paul, MN. Paragon House, 2006.
- Zheng, D., Young, M. F., Wagner, M. M., & Brewer, R. A, "Negotiation for Action: English Language Learning in Game-Based Virtual Worlds", The Modern Language Journal, Vol. 93, No. 4, 489-511, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-4781.2009.00927.x
- Reeves, S., Brown, B., & Laurier, E, "Experts at play: Understanding skilled expertise". Games and Culture, Vol. 4, No. 3, pp. 205-227, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1177/1555412009339730
- Steinkuehler, C. A, "Learning in massively multiplayer online games", Paper presented at the International Conference of the Learning Sciences(ICLS), Los Angeles, CA, 2004.
- Kline, S., Dyer-Witheford, N., & De Peuter, G, "Digital Play: the interaction of technology, culture and marketing", McGill-Queen's University Press, Montreal, 2003.
- Zyda, M, "From Visual Simulation to Virtual Reality to Games", IEEE Computer Society, pp. 25-32, 2005, Sep.
- Gibson, J. J, "The ecological approach to visual perception", Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 1979.
- Zheng, D, "Affordances of 3D Virtual Environments for English Language Learning: An Ecological Psychological Analysis", Doctoral dissertation. University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 2006.
- 오영준, 정기철 (2009). 아바타를 내장한 한글 지문자 학습 게임 개발에 관한 연구. 한국게임학회 논문지, 9(4), 67-80.
- 위정현, 송인수(2011).학습 도구로서 G러닝 콘텐츠의 활용과 학습 효과 분석 -초등학교 수학 교과 적용을 중심으로-. 한국게임학회 논문지, 11(3), 55-62.
- Brown, A. L, "Design experiments: Theoretical and methodological challenges in creating complex interventions in classroom settings." The Journal of the Learning Sciences, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp. 141-178. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327809jls0202_2
- Design-Based Research Collective. "Design-based research: An emerging paradigm for educational inquiry. Educational Researcher", Vol. 32, No. 1, pp. 5-8, 2003. https://doi.org/10.3102/0013189X032001005
- Barab, S. A. & Squire, K. D, "Design-based research: Putting a stake in the ground", The Journal of the Learning Sciences, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 1-14, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15327809jls1301_1
- de Freitas, S., Rebolledo-Mendez, G., Liarokapis, F., Magoulas, G., & Poulovassilis, A, "Learning as immersive experiences: Using the four-dimensional framework for designing and evaluating immersive learning experiences in a virtual world." British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 69-85. 2009.
- Hew, K. F., & Cheung, W. S, "Use of three-dimensional(3-D) immersive virtual worlds in K-12 and higher education settings: A review of the research", British Journal of Educational Technology, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 33-55, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8535.2008.00900.x
- Steinkuehler, C. A, "Massively multiplayer online videogames as a constellation of literacy practices", Paper presented at the International Conference on Literacy, Ghent, Belgium, 2003.
- Mocker, D. W., & Spear, G. E, "Lifelong learning: Formal, nonformal, informal, and self-directed", Columbus, OH: ERIC Clearinghouse for Adult, Career, and Vocational Education, Ohio State University, 1982.
- Blessinger, K., & Olle, M, "Content analysis of the leading general academic databases. Library Collections", Acquisitions and Technical Services, Vol. 28, pp335-346, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lcats.2004.05.001
- Squire, K., Barnett, M., Grant, J. M. & Higginbotham, T, "Electromagnetism supercharged! Learning physics with digital simulation games", In Y. B. Kafai,W. A. Sandoval, N. Enyedy, A. S. Nixon & F. Herrera (Eds), Embracing diversity in the learning sciences: Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference of the learning sciences (ICLS'04) (pp. 513-520). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 2004.
- Jacobson, M. J., Kim, B., Lee, J., Lim, S. H. & Low, S. H, "An intelligent agent augmented multi-user virtual environment for learning science inquiry: preliminary research findings", Paper presented at the 2008 Annual Meeting of the American Education Research Association, New York, March 24-28.of Education, Nanyang Technological University, 2008.
- Clark, C. A, "Serious games." New York, NY: Viking Press, 1980.
- Psychological Serious Game Scenario for Teenagers Self Identity Based on Religious Wisdom Narratives vol.13, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.1.495