- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Inhibition of Proliferation and Induction of Apoptosis by the Combination of β-carotene and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 in Human Esophageal Cancer EC9706 Cells
- Wang, Shao-Kang (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University) ;
- Yang, Lei (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University) ;
- Wang, Ting-Ting (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University) ;
- Huang, Gui-Ling (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University) ;
- Yang, Li-Gang (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University) ;
- Sun, Gui-Ju (Key Laboratory of Environmental Medicine and Engineering of Ministry of Education, and Department of Nutrition and Food Hygiene, School of Public Health, Southeast University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Esophageal cancer is a common malignant tumor occurring in human esophageal epithelial tissue. The primary purpose of this paper was to define the effects of
- Peto R, Doll R, Buckley JD, Sporn MB (1981). Can dietary beta-carotene materially reduce human cancer rates? Nature, 290, 201-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/290201a0
- Qiao YL, Dawsey SM, Kamangar F, et al (2009). Total and cancer mortality after supplementation with vitamins and minerals: follow-up of the Linxian General Population Nutrition Intervention Trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 101, 507-18. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djp037
- Reichrath J, Friedrich M, Vogt T (2012). Vitamin D and its analogs in cancer prevention and therapy. Anticancer Res, 32, 209-10.
Rohan JN, Weigel NL (2009). 1Alpha,25-dihydroxyvitamin
$D_3$reduces c-Myc expression, inhibiting proliferation and causing G1 accumulation in C4-2 prostate cancer cells. Endocrinology, 150, 2046-54. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2008-1395
- Sacha T, Zawada M, Dulinska-Litewka J, et al (2011). [Betacarotene regulates the expression of proapoptotic BAX and CAPN2 in HL-60, U-937 and TF-1 - human acute myeloid leukemia cell lines; microarray, RQ-PCR and Western Blot analysis]. Przegl Lek, 68, 258-62.
- Sacha T, Zawada M, Hartwich J, et al (2005). The effect of betacarotene and its derivatives on cytotoxicity, differentiation, proliferative potential and apoptosis on the three human acute leukemia cell lines: U-937, HL-60 and TF-1. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1740, 206-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2004.12.005
- Upadhyaya KR, Radha KS, Madhyastha HK (2007). Cell cycle regulation and induction of apoptosis by beta-carotene in U937 and HL-60 leukemia cells. J Biochem Mol Biol, 40, 1009-15. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2007.40.6.1009
van den Bemd GJ, Pols HA, van Leeuwen JP (2000). Anti-tumor effects of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin
$D_3$and vitamin D analogs. Curr Pharm Des, 6, 717-32. https://doi.org/10.2174/1381612003400498
- Wang JB, Fan JH, Liang H, et al (2012). Attributable causes of esophageal cancer incidence and mortality in china. PLoS One, 7, e42281. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0042281
- Wang T, Wang S, Huang G, Sun G (2012). Luteolin inducedgrowth inhibition and apoptosis on human esophageal squamous carcinoma cell line Eca109 cells in vitro. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 5455-61. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.11.5455
- Welsh J (2012). Cellular and molecular effects of vitamin D on carcinogenesis. Arch Biochem Biophys, 523, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.abb.2011.10.019
- Woods JA, Bilton RF, Young AJ (1999). Beta-carotene enhances hydrogen peroxide-induced DNA damage in human hepatocellular HepG2 cells. FEBS Lett, 449, 255-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(99)00450-0
Zinser GM, McEleney K, Welsh J (2003). Characterization of mammary tumor cell lines from wild type and vitamin
$D_3$receptor knockout mice. Mol Cell Endocrinol, 200, 67-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0303-7207(02)00416-1
Iqbal AA, Burgess EH, Gallina DL, Nanes MS, Cook CB (2003). Hypercalcemia in hyperthyroidism: patterns of serum calcium, parathyroid hormone, and 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin
$D_3$levels during management of thyrotoxicosis. Endocr Pract, 9, 517-21. https://doi.org/10.4158/EP.9.6.517
- Jessri M, Rashidkhani B, Hajizadeh B, Gotay C (2011). Macronutrients, vitamins and minerals intake and risk of esophageal squamous cell carcinoma: a case-control study in Iran. Nutr J, 10, 137. https://doi.org/10.1186/1475-2891-10-137
- Kollarova H, Machova L, Horakova D, Janoutova G, Janout V (2007). Epidemiology of esophageal cancer--an overview article. Biomed Pap Med Fac Univ Palacky Olomouc Czech Repub, 151, 17-20. https://doi.org/10.5507/bp.2007.003
- Kvale G, Bjelke E, Gart JJ (1983). Dietary habits and lung cancer risk. Int J Cancer, 31, 397-405. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910310402
- Levy J, Bosin E, Feldman B, et al (1995). Lycopene is a more potent inhibitor of human cancer cell proliferation than either alpha-carotene or beta-carotene. Nutr Cancer, 24, 257-66. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635589509514415
- Li P, Zhang ST, Yu ZL, et al (2009). Effects of cyclooxygenase-2 non-selective and selective inhibitors on proliferation inhibition and apoptosis induction of esophageal squamous carcinoma cells. Dis Esophagus, 22, 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2050.2008.00836.x
Liu M, Lee MH, Cohen M, Bommakanti M, Freedman LP (1996). Transcriptional activation of the Cdk inhibitor p21 by vitamin
$D_3$leads to the induced differentiation of the myelomonocytic cell line U937. Genes Dev, 10, 142-53. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.10.2.142
- Lu QJ, Huang CY, Yao SX, Wang RS, Wu XN (2003). Effects of fat-soluble extracts from vegetable powder and betacarotene on proliferation and apoptosis of lung cancer cell YTMLC-90. Biomed Environ Sci, 16, 237-45.
- Lucenteforte E, Garavello W, Bosetti C, et al (2008). Diet diversity and the risk of squamous cell esophageal cancer. Int J Cancer, 123, 2397-400. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23761
- Luo W, Wang W, Li B, Chen Y (2001). [Inhibitory effects of beta-carotene on hepatic cancer cell line SMMC-7721]. Wei Sheng Yan Jiu, 30, 213-4.
- Marques SA, Loureiro AP, Gomes OF, et al (2004). Induction of 1,N(2)-etheno-2'-deoxyguanosine in DNA exposed to beta-carotene oxidation products. FEBS Lett, 560, 125-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0014-5793(04)00084-5
Mernitz H, Smith DE, Wood RJ, Russell RM, Wang XD (2007). Inhibition of lung carcinogenesis by 1alpha,25- dihydroxyvitamin
$D_3$and 9-cis retinoic acid in the A/J mouse model: evidence of retinoid mitigation of vitamin D toxicity. Int J Cancer, 120, 1402-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22462
- Narvaez CJ, Welsh J (2001). Role of mitochondria and caspases in vitamin D-mediated apoptosis of MCF-7 breast cancer cells. J Biol Chem, 276, 9101-7. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M006876200
- Ng K, Wolpin BM, Meyerhardt JA, et al (2009). Prospective study of predictors of vitamin D status and survival in patients with colorectal cancer. Br J Cancer, 101, 916-23. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605262
- Palozza P, Serini S, Maggiano N, et al (2002). Induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human colon adenocarcinoma cell lines by beta-carotene through down-regulation of cyclin A and Bcl-2 family proteins. Carcinogenesis, 23, 11-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/23.1.11
- Al-Wadei HA, Schuller HM (2009). Non-genomic inhibitory signaling of beta-carotene in squamous cell carcinoma of the lungs. Int J Oncol, 34, 1093-8.
- Beer TM, Myrthue A (2004). Calcitriol in cancer treatment: from the lab to the clinic. Mol Cancer Ther, 3, 373-81.
Eisman JA, Suva LJ, Martin TJ (1986). Significance of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin
$D_3$receptor in primary breast cancers. Cancer Res, 46, 5406-8.
Ellis BC, Gattoni-Celli S, Mancia A, Kindy MS (2009). The vitamin
$D_3$transcriptomic response in skin cells derived from the Atlantic bottlenose dolphin. Dev Comp Immunol, 33, 901-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2009.02.008
- Fan Y, Yuan JM, Wang R, Gao YT, Yu MC (2008). Alcohol, tobacco, and diet in relation to esophageal cancer: the Shanghai Cohort Study. Nutr Cancer, 60, 354-63. https://doi.org/10.1080/01635580701883011
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Gao YT, McLaughlin JK, Gridley G, et al (1994). Risk factors for esophageal cancer in Shanghai, China. II. Role of diet and nutrients. Int J Cancer, 58, 197-202. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910580209
- Grant WB (2002). An estimate of premature cancer mortality in the U.S. due to inadequate doses of solar ultraviolet-B radiation. Cancer, 94, 1867-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.10427
- Grant WB (2007). Does solar ultraviolet irradiation affect cancer mortality rates in China? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 8, 236-42.
- Gugatschka M, Kiesler K, Obermayer-Pietsch B, et al (2011). Vitamin D status is associated with disease-free survival and overall survival time in patients with squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol, 268, 1201-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00405-010-1481-y
- Guo P, Li K (2012). Trends in esophageal cancer mortality in China during 1987-2009: age, period and birth cohort analyzes. Cancer Epidemiol, 36, 99-105. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canep.2011.12.003
- Hung HC, Huang MC, Lee JM, et al (2004). Association between diet and esophageal cancer in Taiwan. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 19, 632-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1746.2004.03346.x
- Hurst JS, Saini MK, Jin GF, Awasthi YC, van Kuijk FJ (2005). Toxicity of oxidized beta-carotene to cultured human cells. Exp Eye Res, 81, 239-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.exer.2005.04.002
- Chemopreventive Actions of Blond and Red-Fleshed Sweet Orange Juice on the Loucy Leukemia Cell Line vol.16, pp.15, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.15.6491
- β-Carotene Induces Apoptosis in Human Esophageal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Cell Lines via the Cav-1/AKT/NF-κB Signaling Pathway vol.30, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1002/jbt.21773
- An update of the WCRF/AICR systematic literature review and meta-analysis on dietary and anthropometric factors and esophageal cancer risk vol.28, pp.10, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdx338
- Walnuts Have Potential for Cancer Prevention and Treatment in Mice vol.144, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3945/jn.113.188466