- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Prostate Cancer Risk in Relation to a Single Nucleotide Polymorphism in the Insulin-like Growth Factor-binding Protein-3 (IGFBP3) Gene: a Meta-analysis
- Mao, Ye-Qing (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Xin (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Lin, Yi-Wei (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Chen, Hong (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Hu, Zheng-Hui (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xu, Xiang-Lai (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Zhu, Yi (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Wu, Jian (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Zheng, Xiang-Yi (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Qin, Jie (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University) ;
- Xie, Li-Ping (Department of Urology, First Affiliated Hospital, School of Medicine, Zhejiang University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) has been identified as a putative tumor suppressor with multifunctional roles in the IGF axis. Recently, there have been a growing body of studies investigating the relation between the IGFBP3 A-202C polymorphism, circulating IGFBP3 and prostate cancer risk, but their outcomes varied leading to controversy. Hence, it is necessary to perform a meta-analysis covering all eligible studies to shed a light on the association of IGFBP3 A-202C and cancer risk. Finally, we included a total of 11 relevant articles between 2003 and 2010 covering 14 case-control studies including 9,238 cases and 8,741 controls for our analysis. Our results showed that A-202C was a marginal risk factor of prostate cancer (allele contrast: OR=1.08, 95% CI :1.01-1.16; dominant model: OR=1.11, 95% CI :1.01-1.22; heterozygote codominant model: OR=1.11, 95% CI :1.03-1.18; homozygote contrast: OR=1.19, 95% CI :1.03-1.37). Stratification analysis revealed that sample size and control source were two major heterogeneous meta-factors especially in the recessive model (source: Population-based control group :p=0.30,I2=16.7%, Hospital-based control group: p=0.20, I2=30.3%; sample size: Small: p=0.22,I2= 32.8%, Medium: p=0.09,I2=48%, Large p=0.60,I2=0.0%); However, contrary to previous findings, no significance was found in racial subgroups. No significant publication bias was found in our analysis. Considering the robustness of the results and the discrepancy among some studies, there might be some unsolved confounding factors, and further more critical large studies are needed for confirmation.
- Sarma AV, Dunn RL, Lange LA, et al (2008). Genetic polymorphisms in CYP17, CYP3A4,CYP19A1,SRD5A2,IGF- 1,and IGFBP-3 and prostate cancer risk in African-American men: the Flint Men's Health Study. Prostate, 68, 296-305. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20696
- Schumacher FR, Cheng I, Freedman ML, et al (2010). A comprehensive analysis of common IGF1, IGFBP1 and IGFBP3 genetic variation with prospective IGF-I and IGFBP-3 blood levels and prostate cancer risk among Caucasians. Hum Mol Genet, 19, 3089-101. https://doi.org/10.1093/hmg/ddq210
- Safarinejad MR, Shafiei N, Safarinejad S (2011), Relationship of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-3 (IGFBP-3) gene polymorphism with the susceptibility to development of prostate cancer and influence on serum levels of IGF-I, and IGFBP-3. Growth Horm IGF Res, 21, 146-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ghir.2011.03.008
- Seligson DB, Yu H, Tze S (2012). IGFBP-3 Nuclear Localization Predicts Human Prostate Cancer Recurrence. Horm Cancer, 26, in press.
- Tobias A (1999). Assessing the influence of a single study in the meta-analysis estimate. Stata Tech Bull, 8, 15-7.
- Wang L, Habuchi T, Tsuchiya N, et al (2003). Insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3 gene 2202 A/C polymorphism is correlated with advanced disease status in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 63, 4407-11.
- Wagner K, Hemminki K, Israelsson E, et al (2005). Polymorphisms in the IGF-1 and IGFBP3 promoter and the risk of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 92, 133-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-005-2417-x
- Yu H, Spitz MR, Mistry J, et al (1999). Plasma levels of insulinlike growth factor-I and lung cancer risk: a case-control analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 151-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.2.151
- Zhang L, Yang BX, Zhang HT, et al (2011). Prostate cancer: an emerging threat to the health of aging men in Asia. Asian J Androl, 13, 574-8. https://doi.org/10.1038/aja.2010.126
- Kelley KM, Oh Y, Gargosky SE, et al (1996). Insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) and their regulatory dynamics. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 28, 619-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/1357-2725(96)00005-2
- Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Hankin JH, et al (2000). A multiethnic cohort in Hawaii and Los Angeles: baseline characteristics. Am J Epidemiol, 15, 346-7.
- Lau J, Ioannidis JP, Schmid CH (1997). Quantitative synthesis in systematic reviews. Ann Intern Med, 127, 820-6. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-127-9-199711010-00008
- Li L, Cicek MS, Casey G, Witte JS (2004). No association between genetic polymorphisms in IGF-I and IGFBP-3 and prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 13, 497-8.
- Li L, Huang X, Huo K (2010). IGFBP3 polymorphisms and risk of cancer: a meta-analysis. Mol Biol Rep, 37, 127-40. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11033-009-9552-0
- Mantel N, Haenszel W (1959). Statistical aspects of the analysis of data from retrospective studies of disease. J Natl Cancer Inst, 22, 719-48.
- Ma J, Pollak MN, Giovannucci E, et al (1999). Prospetive study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulinlike growth factor(IGF)-1 and IGF-binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst, 91, 620-5. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/91.7.620
- Nam RK, Zhang WW, Trachtenberg J, et al (2003). Comprehensive assessment of candidate genes and serological markers for the detection of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 1429-37.
- Neuhouser ML, Schenk J, Song YJ, et al (2008). Insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 and risk of benign prostate hyperplasia in the prostate cancer prevention trial. Prostate, 68, 1477-86. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20819
- Platz EA, Pollak MN, Leitzmann MF, et al (2005). Plasma insulinlike growth factor-1 and binding protein-3 and subsequent risk of prostate cancer in the PSA era. Cancer Causes Control, 16, 255-62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-004-3484-8
- Pham TM, Fujino Y, Kikuchi S, et al (2007). A nested case-control study of stomach cancer and serum insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-1,IGF-2 and IGF-binding protein (IGFBP)-3. Eur J Cancer, 43, 1611-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2007.04.014
- Park K, Kim JH, Jeon HG, et al (2010). Influence of IGFBP3 gene polymorphisms on IGFBP3 serum levels and the risk of prostate cancer in low-risk Korean men. Urology, 75, e1-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2009.09.001
- Rohrbacher M, Risch A, Kropp S, et al (2005). The A(-336) C insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 promoter polymorphism is not a modulator of breast cancer risk in Caucasian women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 289-90.
- Schildkraut JM, Demark-Wahnefried W, Wenham RM, et al (2005). IGF1 (CA)19 repeat and IGFBP3-202 A/C genotypes and the risk of prostate cancer in Black and White men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 14, 403-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-04-0426
- Severi G, Morris HA, MacInnis RJ, et al (2006). Circulating insulin-like growth factor-I and binding protein-3 and risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 1137-41. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0823
- Collett-Solberg PF, Cohen P (1996). The role of the insulin-like growth factor binding proteins and the IGFBP proteases in modulating IGF action. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am, 25, 591-614. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0889-8529(05)70342-X
- Chen C, Freeman R, Voigt LF, et al (2006). Prostate cancer risk in relation to selected genetic polymorphisms in insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and insulin-like growth factor-I receptor. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 2461-6. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0541
- Cheng I, Penney KL, Stram DO, et al (2006). Haplotype-based association studies of IGFBP1 and IGFBP3 with prostate and breast cancer risk: the multiethnic cohort. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 1993-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0361
- Costalonga EF, Antonini SR, Guerra-Junior G, et al (2009). The -202 A allele of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 (IGFBP3) promoter polymorphism is associated with higher IGFBP-3 serum levels and better growth response to growth hormone treatment in patients with evere growth hormone deWciency. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 94, 588-95. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1608
- DerSimonian R, Laird N (1986). Meta-analysis in clinical trials. Control Clin Trials , 7, 177-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/0197-2456(86)90046-2
- Deal C, Ma J, Wilkin F, et al (2001). Novel promoter polymorphism in insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-3: correlation with serum levels and interaction with known regulators. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 86, 1274-80. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.86.3.1274
- D'Aloisio AA, Schroeder JC, North KE, et al (2009). IGF-I and IGFBP- 3 polymorphisms in relation to circulating levels among African American and Caucasian women. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 954-66. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-08-0856
- Egger M, Davey Smith G, Schneider M, et al (1997). Bias in metaanalysis detected by a simple, graphical test. BMJ, 315, 629-34. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.315.7109.629
- Friedrichsen DM, Hawley S, Shu J, et al (2005). IGF-I and IGFBP-3 polymorphisms and risk of prostate cancer. Prostate, 65, 44-51. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20259
- Hankinson SE, Willett WC, Colditz GA, et al (1998). Circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor-I and risk of breast cancer. Lancet, 351, 1393-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(97)10384-1
- Higgins JP, Thompson SG (2002). Quantifying heterogeneity in a meta-analysis. Stat Med, 21, 1539-58. https://doi.org/10.1002/sim.1186
- Hernandez W, Grenade C, Santos ER, et al (2007). IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 gene variants influence on serum levels and prostate cancer risk in African-Americans. Carcinogenesis, 28, 2154-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/bgm190
- Hoyo C, Grubber J, Demark-Wahnefried W, et al (2007). Gradespecific prostate cancer associations of IGF1 (CA)19 repeats and IGFBP3-202A/C in blacks and whites. J Natl Med Assoc, 99, 718-22.
- Hong SK, Han BK, Jeong JS, et al (2008). Serum measurements of testosterone, insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 in the diagnosis of prostate cancer among Korean men. Asian J Androl, 10, 207-13. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7262.2008.00296.x
- Johansson M, McKay JD, Rinaldi S, et al (2009). Genetic and plasma variation of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in relation to prostate cancer incidence and survival. Prostate, 69, 1281-91. https://doi.org/10.1002/pros.20972
- Allen NE, Key TJ, Appleby PN, et al (2007). Serum insulin like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 concentrations and prostate cancer risk: results from the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 16, 1121-7. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-1062
- Brawley OW (2012). Prostate cancer epidemiology in the United States3. World J Urol, 30, 195-200. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00345-012-0824-2