- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Senescence as A Consequence of Ginsenoside Rg1 Response on K562 Human Leukemia Cell Line
- Liu, Jun (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Cai, Shi-Zhong (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Zhou, Yue (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Zhang, Xian-Ping (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Liu, Dian-Feng (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Jiang, Rong (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University) ;
- Wang, Ya-Ping (Laboratory of Stem Cell and Tissue Engineering, Department of Histology and Embryology, Chongqing Medical University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Aims and Background: Traditional chemotherapy strategies for human leukemia commonly use drugs based on cytotoxicity to eradicate cancer cells. One predicament is that substantial damage to normal tissues is likely to occur in the course of standard treatments. Obviously, it is urgent to explore therapies that can effectively eliminate malignant cells without affecting normal cells. Our previous studies indicated that ginsenoside
- Schwarze SR, Shi Y, Fu VX, Watson PA, Jarrard DF (2001). Role of cyclin-dependent kinase inhibitors in the growth arrest at senescence in human prostate epithelial and uroepithelial cells. Oncogene, 20, 8184-92. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1205049
- Serrano M (2010). Cancer: a lower bar for senescence. Nature, 464, 363-4. https://doi.org/10.1038/464363a
- Shi L, Oberdoerffer P (2012). Chromatin dynamics in DNA double-strand break repair. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Gene Regulatory Mechanisms. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1819, 811-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbagrm.2012.01.002
- Shin DM, Kucia M, Ratajczak MZ (2011). Nuclear and chromatin reorganization during cell senescence and aging-a mini-review. Gerontology, 57, 76-84. https://doi.org/10.1159/000281882
- Tan W, Lu J, Huang M, et al (2011). Anti-cancer natural products isolated from chinese medicinal herbs. Chin Med, 6, 27. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-8546-6-27
- Zhou Y, Yang B, Yao X, Wang Y (2011). [Experimental study of relationship between effect of ginsenoside Rg1 to delay hematopoietic stem cell senescence and expression of p16(INK4a)]. Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi, 36, 608-13.
- Dimri GP, Lee X, Basile G (1995). A biomarker that identifies senescent human cells in culture and in aging skin in vivo. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 92, 9363-7. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.92.20.9363
- Ewald J, Wilding G, Jarrard DF (2010). Therapy-induced senescence in cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 102, 1536-46. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djq364
- Greenberg SB, Grove GL, Cristofalo VJ (1977). Cell size in aging monolayer cultures. In Vitro, 13, 297-300. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02616174
- Harley CB, Futcher AB, Greider CW (1990). Telomeres shorten during ageing of human fibroblasts. Nature, 345, 458-60. https://doi.org/10.1038/345458a0
- Hayflick L, Moorhead PS (1961). The serial cultivation of human diploid cell strains. Exp Cell Res, 25, 585-621. https://doi.org/10.1016/0014-4827(61)90192-6
- Itahana K, Campisi J, Dimri GP (2007). Methods to Detect Biomarkers of Cellular Senescence:the senescenceassociated beta-galactosidase assay. Methods Mol Biol, 371, 21-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-59745-361-5_3
- Jia L, Q K (2011). An Evidence-based Perspective of Panax Ginseng (Asian Ginseng) and Panax Quinquefolius (American Ginseng) as a Preventing or Supplementary Therapy for Cancer Patients. Evidence-based Anticancer Materia Medica, 85-96.
- Jia L, Zhao Y, Liang XJ (2009). Current evaluation of the millennium phytomedicine-ginseng (II): collected chemical entities, modern pharmacology, and clinical applications emanated from traditional Chinese medicine. Curr Med Chem, 16, 2924-42. https://doi.org/10.2174/092986709788803204
- Larsson LG (2011). Oncogene-and tumor suppressor genemediated suppression of cellular senescence. Semin Cancer Biol, 21, 367-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semcancer.2011.10.005
- Li QF, Shi SL, Liu QR, et al (2008). Anticancer effects of ginsenoside Rg1, cinnamic acid, and tanshinone IIA in osteosarcoma MG-63 cells: nuclear matrix downregulation and cytoplasmic trafficking of nucleophosmin. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 40, 1918-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2008.01.031
- Lin PC, TW, Harn HJ, et al (2011). An Evidence-based Perspective of Angelica Sinensis (Chinese Angelica) for Cancer Patients. Evidence-based Anticancer Materia Medica, 131-53.
- Lozzio BB, Lozzio CB, Bamberger EG, Feliu AS (1981). A multipotential leukemia cell line (K-562) of human origin. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med, 166, 546-50. https://doi.org/10.3181/00379727-166-41106
- Lozzio CB, Lozzio BB (1975). Human chronic myelogenous leukemia cell-line with positive Philadelphia chromosome. Blood, 45, 321-34.
- Moiseeva O, Bourdeau V, Vernier M, Dabauvalle MC, Ferbeyre G (2011). Retinoblastoma-independent regulation of cell proliferation and senescence by the p53-p21 axis in lamin A/C-depleted cells. Aging Cell, 10, 789-97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1474-9726.2011.00719.x
- Oh M, Choi YH, Choi S, et al (1999). Anti-proliferating effects of ginsenoside Rh2 on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells. Int J Oncol, 14, 869-75.
- Park JI, Jeong JS, Han JY, et al (2000). Hydroxyurea induces a senescence-like change of K562 human erythroleukemia cell. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol, 126, 455-60. https://doi.org/10.1007/s004320050013
- Popovich DG, Kitts DD (2002). Structure-function relationship exists for ginsenosides in reducing cell proliferation and inducing apoptosis in the human leukemia (THP-1) cell line. Arch Biochem Biophys, 406, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-9861(02)00398-3
- Bodnar AG, Ouellette M, Frolkis M, et al (1998). Extension of life-span by introduction of telomerase into normal human cells. Science, 279, 349-52. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.279.5349.349
- Burd CE, Sharpless NE (2010). What's So Special about RB?. Cancer Cell, 17, 313-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ccr.2010.03.010
- Campisi J (2011). Cellular senescence: putting the paradoxes in perspective. Curr Opin Genet Dev, 21, 107-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gde.2010.10.005
- Campisi J, d'Adda di Fagagna F (2007). Cellular senescence: when bad things happen to good cells. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol, 8, 729-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrm2233
- Cho W, C S (2011). Evidence-based Anticancer Herbal Medicine. Springer Verlag.
- Collado M, Serrano M (2010). Senescence in tumours: evidence from mice and humans. Nature Reviews Cancer, 10, 51-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/nrc2772
- Collado MB, M A, Serrano M (2007). Cellular senescence in cancer and aging. Cell, 130, 223-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2007.07.003
- Senescence Effects of Angelica sinensis Polysaccharides on Human Acute Myelogenous Leukemia Stem and Progenitor Cells vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6549
- Ginsenoside Rg1 attenuates invasion and migration by inhibiting transforming growth factor-β1-induced epithelial to mesenchymal transition in HepG2 cells vol.11, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.3098
- Ginsenoside Rg1 Induces Apoptosis through Inhibition of the EpoR-Mediated JAK2/STAT5 Signalling Pathway in the TF-1/Epo Human Leukemia Cell Line vol.15, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.6.2453
- Suppression of PMA-induced tumor cell invasion and migration by ginsenoside Rg1 via the inhibition of NF-κB-dependent MMP-9 expression vol.32, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/or.2014.3422
- Proliferative and Inhibitory Activity of Siberian ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus) Extract on Cancer Cell Lines; A-549, XWLC-05, HCT-116, CNE and Beas-2b vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4781
- Effects of bioactive compounds on senescence and components of senescence associated secretory phenotypes in vitro vol.8, pp.7, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1039/C7FO00161D
- Chondroprotective Effects of Ginsenoside Rg1 in Human Osteoarthritis Chondrocytes and a Rat Model of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Transection vol.9, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9030263