- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Prediction Role of Seven SNPs of DNA Repair Genes for Survival of Gastric Cancer Patients Receiving Chemotherapy
- Zou, Hong-Zhi (Tumor Hospital Affiliated to Zhengzhou University) ;
- Yang, Shu-Juan (West China School of Public Health, Sichuan University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
We aimed to investigate DNA repair gene expression of response to chemotherapy among gastric patients, and roles in the prognosis of gastric cancer. A total of 209 gastric cancer patients were included in this study between January 2007 and December 2008, all treated with chemotherapy. Polymorphisms were detected by real time PCR with TaqMan probes, and genomic DNA was extracted from peripheral blood samples. The overall response rate was 61.2%. The median progression and overall survivals were 8.5 and 18.7 months, respectively. A significant increased treatment response was found among patients with XPG C/T+T/T or XRCC1 399G/A+A/A genotypes, with the OR (95% CI) of 2.14 (1.15-4.01) and 1.75 (1.04-3.35) respectively. We found XPG C/T+T/T and XRCC1 399 G/A+A/A were associated with a longer survival among gastric cancer patients when compared with their wide type genotypes, with HRs and 95% CIs of 0.49 (0.27-0.89) and 0.56 (0.29-0.98) respectively. Selecting specific chemotherapy based on pretreatment genotyping may be an innovative strategy for further studies.
DNA repair genes;SNPs;survival;gastric cancer;chemotherapy
- Weaver DA, Crawford EL, Warner KA, et al (2005). ABCC5, ERCC2, XPA and XRCC1 transcript abundance levels correlate with cisplatin chemoresistance in non-small cell lung cancer cell lines. Mol Cancer, 4, 18. https://doi.org/10.1186/1476-4598-4-18
- Wohrer SS, Raderer M, Hejna M (2004). Palliative chemotherapy for advanced gastric cancer. Ann Oncol, 15, 1585-95. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh422
- Wu X, Gu J, Wu TT, et al (2006). Genetic variations in radiation and chemotherapy drug action pathways predict clinical outcomes in esophageal cancer. J Clin Oncol, 24, 3789-98. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.03.6640
- Yoon AJ, Kuo WH, Lin CW, et al (2011). Role of ERCC5 polymorphism in risk of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncol Lett, 2, 911-4.
- de las Penas R, Sanchez-Ronco M, Alberola V, et al (2006). Polymorphisms in DNA repair genes modulate survival in cisplatin/gemcitabine-treated non-small-cell lung cancer patients. Ann Oncol, 17, 668-75. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdj135
- Gurubhagavatula S, Liu G, Park S, et al (2004). XPD and XRCC1 genetic polymorphisms are prognostic factors in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer patients treated with platinum chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 22, 2594-601. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2004.08.067
- He J, Qiu LX, Wang MY, et al (2012). Polymorphisms in the XPG gene and risk of gastric cancer in Chinese populations. Hum Genet, 131, 1235-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00439-012-1152-8
- Ichikawa W (2006). Prediction of clinical outcome of fluoropyrimidine-based chemotherapy for gastric cancer patients, in terms of the 5-fluorouracil metabolic pathway. Gastric Cancer, 9, 145-55. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-006-0373-8
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (2008). Globocan 2008: Stomach Cancer incidence, Mortality and Prevalence Worldwide in 2008. IARC.
- Isla D, Sarries C, Rosell R, et al (2004). Single nucleotide polymorphisms and outcome in docetaxel-cisplatintreated advanced non-small-cell lung cancer. Ann Oncol, 15, 1194-203. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdh319
- Keam B, Im SA, Han SW, et al (2008). Modified FOLFOX-6 chemotherapy in advanced gastric cancer: Results of phase II study and comprehensive analysis of polymorphisms polymorphisms as a predictive and prognostic marker. BMC Cancer, 8, 148. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-8-148
- Kiyohara C, Yoshimasu K (2007). Genetic polymorphisms in the nucleotide excision repair pathway and lung cancer risk: a meta-analysis. Int J Med Sci, 4, 59-71.
- Liu YP, Ling Y, Zhang YP, et al (2011). Predictive values of platinum-related gene polymorphisms in gastric cancer patients on oxaliplatin-based adjuvant chemotherapy. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi, 91, 256-9.
- Ma H, Yu H, Liu Z, et al (2012). Polymorphisms of XPG/ERCC5 and risk of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Pharmacogenet Genomics, 22, 50-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/FPC.0b013e32834e3cf6
- Monzo M, Moreno I, Navarro A, et al (2007). Single nucleotide polymorphisms in nucleotide excision repair genes XPA, XPD, XPG and ERCC1 in advanced colorectal cancer patients treated with first-line oxaliplatin/fl uoropyrimidine.Oncology, 72, 364-70. https://doi.org/10.1159/000113534
- Parkin DM (2001). Global cancer statistics in the year 2000. Lancet Oncol, 2, 533-43. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(01)00486-7
- Quintela-Fandino M, Hitt R, Medina PP, et al (2006). DNA repair gene polymorphisms predict favorable clinical outcome among patients with advanced squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck treated with cisplatinbased induction chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 24, 4333-9. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.05.8768
- Ruzzo A, Graziano F, Kawakami K, et al (2006). Pharmacogenetic profiling and clinical outcome of patients with advanced gastric cancer treated with palliative chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol, 24, 1883-91. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.04.8322
- Saldivar JS, Lu KH, Liang D, et al (2007). Moving toward individualized therapy based on NER polymorphisms that predict platinum sensitivity in ovarian cancer patients. Gynecol Oncol, 107, 223-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2007.06.006
- Bewick MA, Conlon MS, Lafrenie RM (2006). Polymorphisms in XRCC1, XRCC3, and CCND1 and survival after treatment for metastatic breast cancer. J Clin Oncol, 24, 5645-51. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2006.05.9923
- gene polymorphisms with susceptibility to gastric cancer in Chinese Han population vol.66, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/jphp.12264
- Association between Polymorphisms in XRCC1 Gene and Treatment Outcomes of Patients with Advanced Gastric Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis vol.9, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0085357
- XRCC1 Gene Polymorphism, Clinicopathological Characteristics and Stomach Cancer Survival in Thailand vol.16, pp.14, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.14.6111
- Polymorphisms in Predicting Prognosis of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in Patients Receiving Transcatheter Arterial Chemoembolization vol.20, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1089/gtmb.2015.0267
- Polymorphism in XRCC1 gene modulates survival and clinical outcomes of advanced North Indian lung cancer patients treated with platinum-based doublet chemotherapy vol.34, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-017-0923-4