- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
A Comparison of the Cancer Incidence Rates between the National Cancer Registry and Insurance Claims Data in Korea
- Seo, Hee Jung (Department of Public Health, Graduate School of Korea University) ;
- Oh, In-Hwan (Department of Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine, Kyung Hee University) ;
- Yoon, Seok-Jun (Department of Preventive Medicine, Korea University College of Medicine)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Although much health services research has been conducted using national health insurance claims data in Korea, the validity of this method has not been ascertained. The objective of this study was to validate the use of claims data for health services research by comparing incidence rate of cancers found using insurance claims data against rates of the national cancer registry of Korea. An algorithm to estimate incidence rates using claims data was developed and applied. The claims data from 2005-2008 were acquired and the patients admitted to hospitals due to cancer in 2008 without admission to hospital from 2005-2007 by the same diagnosis code were regarded as incident cases. The acquired results were compared with the values from the National Cancer Registry of Korea. The incidence rate of all cancers found using claims data was 363.1 per 100,000 people, which is very similar to the 361.9 per 100,000 rate of the national cancer registry. Also the age-, gender- and disease-specific rates between the two data sources were similar. Therefore, national health insurance claims data may be a worthwhile resource for health services research if appropriate algorithms are applied, especially considering the cost effectiveness of this method.
Cancer;incidence rate;national cancer registry;claims data;Korea
Supported by : Ministry of Health & Welfare
- Lee SY, Chun CB, Lee YG, et al (2008). The National Health Insurance system as one type of new typology: The case of South Korea and Taiwan. Health Policy, 85, 105-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthpol.2007.07.006
- Lee YH, Yoon SJ, Kim EJ, et al (2011). Economic burden of asthma in Korea. Allergy Asthma Proc, 32, 35-40. https://doi.org/10.2500/aap.2011.32.3479
- Miller D, Saigal C, Warren J, et al (2009). External validation of a claims-based algorithm for classifying kidney-cancer surgeries. BMC health services research, 9, 92. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-9-92
- Ministy Of Health and Welfare(MOHW) (2012). The exemption law of a speical coninsurance rate for cancer patients.http://www.mohw.go.kr/front/jb/sjb0402vw.jsp?PAR_MENU_ID=03&MENU_ID=030405&BOARD_ID=2010&BOARD_FLAG=03&CONT_SEQ=258279&page=1. Accessed 3 Aug 2012.
- Nattinger AB, Laud PW, Bajorunaite R, et al(2004). An algorithm for the use of Medicare claims data to identify women with incident breast cancer. Health Serv Res, 39, 1733-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-6773.2004.00315.x
- Oh IH, Yoon SJ, Seo HY, et al (2011). The economic burden of musculoskeletal disease in Korea: A cross sectional study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord, 12, 157. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2474-12-157
- Oh IH, Yoon SJ, Yoon TY, et al (2012). Health and economic burden of major cancers due to smoking in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 1525-31. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.4.1525
- Park JH, Yoon SJ, Lee H, et al (2006). Burden of disease attributable to obesity and overweight in Korea. Int J Obes (Lond), 30, 1661-9. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803321
- Penberthy L, McClish D, Manning C, et al (2005). The added value of claims for cancer surveillance: results of varying case definitions. Med Care, 43, 705-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000167176.41645.c7
- Riley GF (2009). Administrative and claims records as sources of health care cost data. Med Care, 47, 51-5. https://doi.org/10.1097/MLR.0b013e31819c95aa
- Shin HR, Won YJ, Jung KW, et al (2005). Nationwide cancer incidence in Korea, 1999-2001; first result using the national cancer incidence database. Cancer Res Treat, 37, 325-31. https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2005.37.6.325
- Shin JY, Kim SY, Lee KS, et al (2012). Costs during the first five years following cancer diagnosis in Korea. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 3767-72 https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.8.3767
- World Health Orgranization (WHO) (2012). International Classification of Diseases. http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/. Accessed 10 Apr 2012.
- Yoon SJ, Bae SC, Lee SI, et al (2007). Measuring the burden of disease in Korea. J Korean Med Sci, 22, 518-23. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2007.22.3.518
- Ahn JH (2002). Analysis of agreement status between the diagnostic code of health insurance claim and medical record coding. Master thesis, Inje University.
- Cheng CL, Kao YH, Lin SJ, et al (2011). Validation of the National Health Insurance Research Database with ischemic stroke cases in Taiwan. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf, 20, 236-42. https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.2087
- Curado MP, Edwars B, Shin HR (2008). Cancer incidence in five continents. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon.
- Jeong HS (2011). Korea's National Health Insurance-Lessons From The Past Three Decades. Health Aff (Millwood), 30, 136-44. https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2008.0816
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, et al (2010). Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci, 25, 1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Kim SG, Hahm MI, Choi KS, et al (2008). The economic burden of cancer in Korea in 2002. Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 17, 136-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2354.2007.00818.x
- Kim SY, Yoon SJ, Jo MW, et al (2010). Economic burden of allergic rhinitis in Korea. Am J Rhinol Allergy, 24, E110-3
- Korean Statistical Information Service (KSIS) (2008). Midyear population. http://kosis.kr/. Accessed 25 Mar 2012.
- Ladwig KH, Marten-Mittag B, Formanek B, Dammann G (2000). Gender differences of symptom reporting and medical health care utilization in the German population. Eur J Epidemiol, 16, 511-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007629920752
- Lee JY, Jung KW, Park S, et al (2010). Long-term survival of cancer patients in Korea, 1993-2007: National Cancer Registry Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1459-64.
- Lee SJ, Im JS, Choi JS, et al (2002). Sensitivity of medical insurance claims data using population-based cancer registry data. J Korean Soc Med Inform, 8, 35-40.
- Lee H, Yoon SJ, Ahn HS (2006). Measuring the burden of major cancers due to smoking in Korea. Cancer Sci, 97, 530-4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2006.00205.x
- Overview of Cancer Registration Research in the Asian Pacific from 2008-2013 vol.14, pp.8, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.8.4461
- Cancer Mortality and Morbidity Based on Secondary Data Analysis of Health Among Residents Around Waegwan, Gyeongsangbuk-do, Korea vol.39, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5668/JEHS.2013.39.4.335
- The Health Examinees (HEXA) Study: Rationale, Study Design and Baseline Characteristics vol.16, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.4.1591
- Mortality and Morbidity Based on Secondary Data Analysis for Respiratory System Diseases among Residents around Ansim, Daegu, Korea vol.25, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.15269/JKSOEH.2015.25.3.346
- The risk of malignancy and its incidence in early rheumatoid arthritis patients treated with biologic DMARDs vol.19, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13075-017-1482-y
- Higher risk of hepatocellular carcinoma in chronic hepatitis B vs chronic hepatitis C after achievement of virologic response vol.24, pp.11, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12723
- Chronic hepatitis B infection and non-hepatocellular cancers: A hospital registry-based, case-control study vol.13, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0193232
- Aspirin Use and Risk of Hepatocellular Carcinoma in a National Cohort Study of Korean Adults vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-23343-0
- Effect of Smoking Cessation and Reduction on the Risk of Cancer in Korean Men: A Population Based Study vol.50, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.4143/crt.2017.326
- Comparison of overall survival between antiviral-induced viral suppression and inactive phase chronic hepatitis B patients vol.25, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jvh.12927
- Cancer Risk in Patients with Intestinal Behçet’s Disease: A Nationwide Population-Based Study vol.12, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5009/gnl17324
- Risk factors for hepatocellular carcinoma by age, sex, and liver disorder status: A prospective cohort study in Korea vol.124, pp.13, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.31406
- Validation studies of claims data in the Asia-Pacific region: A comprehensive review vol.28, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/pds.4616