- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Breast Self-examination Practices and the Effect of a Planned Training Program in Western Turkey
- Donmez, Yelda Candan (Nursing, Odemis School of Health) ;
- Dolgun, Eda (Nursing, Odemis School of Health) ;
- Yavuz, Meryem (Department of Surgical Nursing, Nursing Faculty, Ege University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
This cross-sectional and descriptive study was aimed to evaluate women breast self-examination (BSE) practice and effects of a planned educational programme for breast cancer and BSE. The samples of the study consisted 266 women. The study data were collected by a questionnaire in six months periods as two times in a month in which the periods were defined and announced to all women. After that all the women were informed about BSE. The statue of performing BSE of women (n=146) was evaluated. They were interviewed on phone after 6 months. The collected data were analyzed by using statistical SPSS program. The average age of women was
Woman;breast cancer;breast self;examination;training
- Ozkan A, Malak AT, Gurkan A, Turgay SA (2010). Do Turkish nursing and midwifery students teach breast self-examination to their relatives? Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 111-5.
- Salaudeen AG, Akande TM, Musa OI (2009). Knowledge and attitudes to breast cancer and breast self-examination among female undergraduates in a state in Nigeria. Eur J Social Sci, 7, 157-65.
- Sambanje MN, Mafuvadze B (2012). Breast cancer knowledge and awareness among university students in Angola. Pan African Med J, 11, 1-10.
- Yilmaz M, Guler G, Bekar M, Guler N (2011). Risk of breast cancer, health beliefs and screening behaviour among Turkish academic women and housewives. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 12, 817-22.
- Yoo B, Choi KS, Jung KW, Jun JK (2012). Awareness and practice of breast self-examination among Korean women: results from a nationwide survey. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 13, 123-5. https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2012.13.1.123
- Zavare MA, Juni MH, Manaf RA, Ismail I Z, Said SM (2011). Knowledge on breast cancer and practice of breast self examination among selected female university students in Malaysia. Med Hlth Sci J, 7, 49-56.
- Bassey RB, Irurhe NK, Olowoyeye MA, Adeyomoye AA, Onajole AT (2011). Knowledge, attitude and practice of breast self-examination among nursing students in Lagos university teaching hospital, Nigeria. Educational Res, 2, 1232-6.
- Beydag KD, Yurugen B (2010). The effect of breast selfexamination (BSE) education given to midwifery students on their knowledge and attitudes. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 1761-4.
- Dundar PE, Ozmen D, Ozturk B, et al (2006). The knowledge and attitudes of breast self-examination and mammography in a group of women in a rural area in western Turkey. BMC Cancer, 6, 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-1
- Kara B, Acikel CH (2008). Health beliefs and breast selfexamination in a sample of Turkish nursing students and their mothers. J Clinical Nur, 18, 1412-21.
- Karayurt O, Ozmen D, Cakmakci AC (2008). Awareness of breast cancer risk factors and practice of breast selfexamination among high school students in Turkey. BMC Public Hlth, 8, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-1
- Kaymakci S (2011). Meme Hastaliklari, Dahili ve Cerrahi Hastaliklarda Bakım (Breast Diseases, Medical and Surgical Disorders Care), Ed: Karadakovan A, Eti A. F., Nobel Kitabevi (Nobel Printing House), 977-1002.
- Ozaras G, Durualp E, Civelek FE, Gul B, Unsal M (2010). Analysis of breast self-examination training efficiency in women between 20-60 years of age in Turkey. Asian Pacific J Cancer Prev, 11, 799-802.
- Effects of a training program about breast cancer and breast self-examination among female students at Taif University vol.90, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1097/01.EPX.0000460082.28774.71
- A Cross Sectional Study of the Knowledge and Practice of Self-Breast Examination among Market Women at the Makola Shopping Mall, Accra, Ghana vol.05, pp.03, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4236/abcr.2016.53013