- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Knowledge Levels of Turkish Nurses Related to Prevention and Early Diagnosis of Cancer
- Ozkahraman, Sukran (Faculty of Health Science, Suleyman Demirel University) ;
- Yildirim, Belgin (Aydın School of Health, Adnan Menderes University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Background: The aim of this study was to examine knowledge about cancer and early diagnosis of cancer among nurses. Materials and Method: This descriptive study was carried out at a University Faculty of Medicine Hospital in Turkey. Study between April and June, 2011, with 325 volunteer nurses. The collection tool consisted of two survey forms. The first was designed for sociodemographic information and the second consisted of 16 questions, prepared in accordance with the literature as open and close-ended, for interviews conducted by researchers. Results: Out of the individuals (n=325), included in the study, 90.8% were female, 63.1% high school-university graduates and 55.1% married, with an average years of service of
Cancer;cancer prevention;early diagnosis;knowledge;nurses;Turkey
- WHO, Cancer Fact sheet February 2011. [cited 2011 April 28]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs297/en/index.html.
- Willett W (2003). Cancer prevention and early detection. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 12, 252.
- Yavuz M (1995). Effects of mastectomy on her social life. J Ege University School Nurs, 11, 112-18.
- Gunes UY, Zaybak A, Eser I, et al (2007). Cancer risk factors in healthy subjects. J Ege University School of Nur, 23, 13-22.
- Kolutek R, Karatas N (2007). Individuals living of the town of the province in Nevsehir Uchisar detection of cancer risk factors and symptoms of early diagnosis. J Hlth Sci, 16, 28-39.
- Kutluk A, Kars A (1996). General information about cancer, T.C Ministry of Health Department of Cancer Control, Broadcast, 2 ed, Ankara pp 10-76.
- Kwon HT, Solomon FM, Nguyen SA (2006). Needs assessment of barriers to cervical cancer screening in vietnamese american health care providers. Californian J Hlth Promotion, 4, 146-56.
- Lemal M, Van den Bulck J (2010). Television news coverage about cervical cancer: impact on female viewers' vulnerability perceptions and fear. Eur J Public Hlth, 21, 381-6.
- Mevsim V, Dontlu C, Yeniceri N, et al (2005). Primary health care workers know what to do about smoking and cancer risk, and what does he do? J Addiction, 6, 65-75.
- Nural N, Akdemir N (2000). Internal Medicine inpatient services for early diagnosis of cancer risk factors and detection of the symptoms. J Cumhuriyet University School of Nur, 4, 1-13.
- Ozdemir O, Bilgili N (2010). Nurses working in a teaching hospital in the early diagnosis of breast and cervical cancer knowledge and practices. TAF Prev Med Bull, 9, 605-12.
- Ozkahraman S, Vural BK, Bayik A (2006). People skills development training center, trainees breast self-examination J Ataturk University School of Nur, 9, 1-9.
- Pinotti JA, Barros AC, Hegg R, et al (1995). Breast cancer control program in developing countries. Breast Dis, 8, 243-50.
- Platin N (1996). Manual for nurses in cancer, 1 ed. American Cancer Society, pp 36-42.
- Sari M (1997). Nurses' level of knowledge about cancer prevention and early diagnosis of cancer measurement. Hacettepe University Institute of Health Sciences Master of Science Thesis, Ankara.
- Sherman CD, Calman KC, Eckhardt S, et al (1992). Clinical oncology, 5 ed. Turkish Ministry of Health, Institute of Cancer Research and Control Joint Publication, Ankara pp 5-20.
- Simsek N (2003). Nurses' level of knowledge about cancer prevention and early diagnosis of cancer measurement. Master of Science Thesis, Department of Internal Medicine, Nursing, Afyon.
- Sullivan HW, Rutten LJF, Hesse BW (2010). Representations of cancer prevention and early detection: associations with prevention behaviors. Prev Chronic Disease, 7, 1-11.
- Tezcan S, Yardim N (2003). Various health institutions in Turkey, doctors, nurses and medical students the size of cigarette smoking. J Tuberculosis and Respiratory, 4, 390-7.
- Uncu F, Bilgin N (2011). Midwives and nurses working in primary health care practices for early diagnosis of breast cancer knowledge, attitudes and behaviors. J Breast Hlth, 3, 167-75.
- Bilge A, Cam O (2008). As an important factor in the prevention of cancer and women's health beliefs examination of coping with stress. Anatolian J Psychiatry, 9, 16-21.
- Birol L, Akdemir N, Beduk T (1997). Oncology nursing. In: Book of Internal Diseases. Ankara, Sanem Press.
- Bond P, Jordell N (1997). Cancer nursing in Europa: a nursing perspective, department of nursing studies, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh.
- Carey P, Charlton A (1995). Cancer education in secondary schools. Education Review, 47,1.
- Chong PN, Krishnan M, Hong CY, et al (2002). Knowledge and practice of breast cancer screening amongst public health nurses in singapore. Med J, 43, 509-16.
- Contanza ME, Li FP, Grene HL, et al (1990). Cancer prevention and detection. strategies for practice. In Cancer Manual. 8th ed, American Cancer Society, Boston.
- Erbaycu AE, Aksel N, Cakan A, et al (2004). Smoking habits among health care workers in the province of Izmir. Turkish Thoracic J, 5, 6-12.
- Fadilioglu C (1996). Cancer and nursing. J Ege University School of Nursing, 12, 147-61.
- Fidaner C (2011). Cancer Early Capture: Early Diagnosis and Screening, (cited 2011 Agust 1). Available from: http://www.ukdk.org/pdf/kitap/26.pdf
- Health Risk Behavior of Romanian Adults having Relatives with Cancer vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6465
- Understanding and Responsiveness Level about Cervical Cancer and its Avoidance among Young Women of Pakistan vol.15, pp.12, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.12.4877
- Breast, Cervix and Colorectal Cancer Knowledge among Nurses in Turkey vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2267
- Update knowledge on cervical cancer incidence and prevalence in Asia vol.16, pp.9, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.9.3617