- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Human Papilloma Virus Attributable Head and Neck Cancer in the Sudan Assessed by p16INK4A Immunostaining
- Ahmed, Hussain Gadelkarim (Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Hail) ;
- Mustafa, Saadalnour Abusail (Department of Histopathology and Cytology, Faculty of Medical laboratory Sciences, Elneelain University) ;
- Warille, Eyman (Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, University of Hail)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Background: The aim of this study was to screen for human papillomavirus (HPV) infections in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCCs) using P16 immunostaining. Materials and Methods: A retrospective study was performed on 150 samples from patients diagnosed with HNSCCs. HPV status was determined using
Head and neck cancer;human papillomavirus;
- Ibrahim SO, Warnakulasuriya KA, Idris AM, et al (1998). Expression of keratin 13, 14 and 19 in oral hyperplastic and dysplastic lesions from Sudanese and Swedish snuff-dippers: association with human papillomavirus infection. Anticancer Res, 18, 635-45.
- Jalouli J, Jalouli MM, Sapkota D, et al (2012). Human papilloma virus, herpes simplex virus and epstein barr virus in oral squamous cell carcinoma from eight different countries. Anticancer Res, 32, 571-80.
- Klussmann JP, Gultekin E, Weissenborn SJ, et al (2003). Expression of p16 protein identifies a distinct entity of tonsillar carcinomas associated with human papillomavirus. Am J Pathology, 162, 747-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63871-0
- Llewellyn CD, Johnson NW, Warnakulasuriya KA (2004). Risk factors for oral cancer in newly diagnosed patients aged 45 years and younger: a case-control study in southern England. J Oral Pathol Med, 33, 525-32. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0714.2004.00222.x
- Pannone G, Santoro A, Papagerakis S, et al (2011). The role of human papillomavirus inthe pathogenesis of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: an overview. Infectious Agents and Cancer, 6, 4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1750-9378-6-4
- Parkin DM (2011). Cancers attributable to occupational exposures in the UK in 2010. Br J Cancer, 105, 70-2. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.2011.487
- Royal College of Pathologists (2005). Standards and Datasets for Reporting Cancers:Datasets for histopathology reports on head and neck carcinomas and salivary neoplasms. 2nd Edition. London: The Royal College of Pathologists. [cited 11 August 2006]. Available from url: http://www.rcpath.org/resources/pdf/HeadNeckDatasetJun05.pdf.
- Rushton L, Bagga S, Bevan R, et al (2010). Occupation and cancer in Britain. Br J Cancer, 102, 1428-37. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605637
- Santarelli A, Lo Russo L, Bambini F, Campisi G, Lo Muzio L (2009). New perspectives in medical approach to therapy of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Minerva Stomatologica, 58, 445-52.
- Smith EM, Pawlita M, Rubenstein LM, et al (2010). Risk factors and survival by HPV-16 E6 and E7 antibody status in human papillomavirus positive head and neck cancer. Int J Cancer, 127, 111-7. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25015
- Smith EM, Rubenstein LM, Haugen TH, Hamsikova E, Turek LP (2010). Tobacco and alcohol use increases the risk of both HPV-associated and HPV-independent head and neck cancers. Cancer Causes and Control, 21, 1369-78. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-010-9564-z
- Zhou J, Michaud DS, Langevin SM, et al (2012). Smokeless tobacco and risk of head and neck cancer: Evidence from a case-control study in New England. Int J Cancer, 14. doi: 10.1002/ijc.27839. [Epub ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.27839
- Ahmed HG, Eltoom FM (2010). Detection of human papilloma virus types 16 and 18 among Sudanese patients with oral squamous cell carcinoma. The Open Cancer J, 3, 1-5.
- Applebaum KM, Furniss CS, Zeka A, et al (2007). Lack of association of alcohol and tobacco with HPV16-associated head and neck cancer. J National Cancer Institute, 99, 1801-10. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djm233
- Castellsague X, Quintana MJ, Martinez MC, et al (2004). The role of type of tobacco and type of alcoholic beverage in oral carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer, 108, 741-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.11627
- Chung CH, Gillison ML (2009). Human papillomavirus in head and neck cancer: its role in pathogenesis and clinical implications. Clin Cancer Res, 15, 6758-62. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-09-0784
- Coelho KR (2012). Challenges of the oral cancer burden in India. J Cancer Epidemiol, 70,1932.
- Dayyani F, Etzel CJ, Liu M, et al (2010). Meta-analysis of the impact of human papillomavirus (HPV) on cancer risk and overall survival in head and neck squamous cell carcinomas (HNSCC). Head Neck Oncol, 2, 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-3284-2-15
- Deng Z, Hasegawa M, Yamashita Y, et al (2012). Prognostic value of human papillomavirus and squamous cell carcinoma antigen in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Sci. doi: 10.1111/cas.12009. [Epub ahead of print] https://doi.org/10.1111/cas.12009
- Fakhry C, Westra WH, Li S, et al (2008). Improved survival of patients with human papillomavirus-positive head and neck squamous cell carcinoma in a prospective clinical trial. J Natl Cancer Inst, 100, 261-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn011
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in 2008: GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Gillespie MB, Rubinchik S, Hoel B, Sutkowski N (2009). Human papillomavirus and oropharyngeal cancer: what you need to know in 2009. Curr Treat Options Oncol, 10, 296-307. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11864-009-0113-5
- Gillison ML, D'Souza G, Westra W, et al (2008). Distinct risk factor profiles for human papillomavirus type 16-positive and human papillomavirus type 16-negative head and neck cancers. J National Cancer Institute, 100, 407-20. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djn025
- Goon P, Stanley MA, Ebmeyer J, et al (2009). HPV and head and neck cancer: a descriptive update. Head and Neck Oncology, 1, 36. https://doi.org/10.1186/1758-3284-1-36
- Herrero R, Castellsague X, Pawlita M, et al (2003). Human papillomavirus and oral cancer: the international agency for research on cancer multicenter study. J National Cancer Institute, 95, 1772-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djg107
- Role of Human papilloma virus Infection and Altered Methylation of Specific Genes in Esophageal Cancer vol.14, pp.7, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.7.4187
- Expression and Response to Therapy and Survival in Selected Head and Neck Cancers vol.16, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.1.253
- Do Human Papilloma Viruses Play Any Role in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma in North Indians? vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7077
- Immunohistochemical Expression of Cytokeratins and Epithelial Membrane Protein 2 in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma and its Potential Implications vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.653
- Prevalence of human papillomavirus in oral rinse samples from healthy individuals in northern Thailand pp.09042512, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/jop.12800