- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
Haptoglobin Levels in Turkish Patients with Bladder Cancer and its Association with Clinicopathological Features
- Pirincci, Necip (Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University) ;
- Gecit, Ilhan (Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University) ;
- Gunes, Mustafa (Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University) ;
- Kemik, Ahu Sarbay (Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Istanbul University) ;
- Yusel, Mehmet Bilgehan (Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Celal Bayar University) ;
- Kaba, Mehmet (Urology Clinic, Van Training and Research Hospital) ;
- Ceylan, Kadir (Department of Urology, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University) ;
- Aslan, Mehmet (Department of Internal Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Yuzuncu Yil University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Although alteration in the haptoglobin phenotype has been reported in patients with bladder cancer, serum haptoglobin levels have not been evaluated. We hypothesized that serum haptoglobin can be used as a biomarker. The aim of this study was to evaluate the expression of haptoglobin in bladder cancer and to determine the relationship with clinicopathological features. A total of 68 serum specimens obtained before surgery were used to investigate haptoglobin expression using the sandwich ELISA technique. Serum haptoglobin levels were higher in the patients with bladder cancer compared to healthy controls (p<0.0001). Additionally, the levels of haptoglobin protein increased with increasing tumor grades (p<0.001) and were significantly higher in patients with metastatic disease and the presence of lymphovascular involvement, lymph node metastases and increasing tumor burden (p<0.0001). This study suggests that elevated haptoglobin levels are associated with a higher stage, grade, and extent of distant metastasis and larger tumor size. Haptoglobin may therefore provide a useful diagnostic and treatment biomarker for patients with bladder cancer.
- Lapham RL, Ro JY, Staerkel GA, Ayala AG (1997). Pathology of transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder and its clinical implications. Semin Surg Oncol, 13, 307-18. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1098-2388(199709/10)13:5<307::AID-SSU4>3.0.CO;2-H
- Lee JW, Kim HS (2006). Endogenous retrovirus HERV-I LTR family in primates: sequences, phylogeny, and evolution. Arch Virol, 151, 1651-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00705-006-0733-z
- Miyoshi E, Shinzaki S, Moriwaki K, Matsumoto H (2010). Identification of fucosylayed haptoglobin as a novel tumor marker for pancreatic cancer and its possible application for a clinical diagnostic test. Methods Enzymol, 478, 153-64. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0076-6879(10)78006-X
- Nakagawa T, Uozumi N, Nakano M, et al (2006). Fucosylation of N-glycans regulates the secretion of hepatic glycoproteins into bile ducts. J Biol Chem, 281, 29797-806. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M605697200
- Okuyama N, Ide Y, Nakano M, et al (2006). Fucosylated haptoglobin is a novel biomarker for pancreatic cancer: a detailed analysis of the oligosaccharide and a possible mechanism for fucosylation. Int J Cancer, 118, 2803-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.21728
- Safyam A, Singh P, Sharma M, Seth A, Sharma A (2011). CYFRA21-1: a potential molecular marker for noninvasive differential diagnosis of urothelial carcinoma of bladder. Biomarkers, 16, 413-21. https://doi.org/10.3109/1354750X.2011.582152
- Shah A, Singh H, Sachdev V, et al (2010). Differential serum level of specific haptoglobin isoforms in small cell lung cancer. Curr Proteomics, 7, 49-65. https://doi.org/10.2174/157016410790979635
- Serrano D, Baglietto L, Johansen H, et al (2005). Effect of the synthetic retinoid on circulating free prostate-specific antigen, IGF-1, and insulin like growth factor binding protein-3 levels in men with superficial bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res, 11, 2083-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-04-1549
- Sharma S, Ksheersagar P, Sharma P (2009). Diagnosis and treatment of bladder cancer. Am Family Physician, 80, 717-23.
- Takeda Y, Shinzaki S, Okudo K, et al (2011). Fucosylated haptoglobin is a novel type of cancer biomarker linked to the prognosis after an operation in colorectal cancer. Cancer, 10, 1002.
- Thompson S, Dargan E, Griffithis ID, Kelly CA, Turner GA (1993). The glycosylation of haptoglobin in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Chim Acta, 220, 107-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(93)90011-R
- Thompson S, Turner GA (1987). Elevated levels of abnormally-fucosylated haptoglobin in cancer sera. Br J Cancer, 56, 605-10. https://doi.org/10.1038/bjc.1987.249
- Varela JC, Atkinson C, Woolson R, Keane TE, Tomlinson S (2008). Upregulated expression of complement inhibitory proteins on bladder cancer cells and anti-MUC1 antibody immune selection. Int J Cancer, 123, 1357-63. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.23676
- Wassell L (2000). Haptoglobin: function and polymorphism. Clin Lab, 46, 547-52.
- Ahmed N, Barker G, Oliva KT, et al (2004). Proteomic-based identification of haptoglobin precursor as a novel circulating biomarker of ovarian cancer. Br J Cancer, 91, 129-40. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6601882
- An JY, Fan ZM, Zhuang ZH, et al (2004). Proteomic analysis of blood level of proteins before and after cooperation in patients with esophageal squamous cell carcinoma at high-incidence area in Henan Province. World J Gastroenterol, 10, 3365-8.
- Ang IL, Poon TC, Lai PB, et al (2006). Study of serum haptoglobin and its glycoforms in the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma: a glycoproteomic approach. J Proteome Res, 5, 2691-700. https://doi.org/10.1021/pr060109r
- Awadallah SM, Atourn MF (2004). Haptoglobin polymorphism in breast cancer patients form Jordan. Clin Chim Acta, 341, 17-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cccn.2003.10.032
- Beckman G, Eklund A, Frohlander N, Stjernberg N (1986). Haptoglobin groups and lung cancer. Hum Hered, 36, 258-60. https://doi.org/10.1159/000153638
- Benkmann HG, Hanssen HP, Ovenbeck R, Goedde HW (1987). Distribution of alpha-1 antitrypsin and haptoglobin phenotypes in bladder cancer patients. Hum Hered, 37, 290-3. https://doi.org/10.1159/000153720
- Dunzendorfer U, Jung K, Ohlenschlager G (1980). Transferrin, C3 complement, haptoglobin, plasminogen and alpha 2-microglobulin in patients with urogenital tumors. Eur Urol, 6, 232-6.
- Fujimura T, Shinohara Y, Tissot B, et al (2008). Glycosylation status of haptoglobin in sera of patients with prostate cancer benign prostate disease or normal subjects. Int J Cancer, 122, 39-49. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.22958
- Gkialas I, Papadopoulos G, Iordanidou L, et al (2008). Evaluation of urine-tumor-associated trypsin inhibitor, CYFRA 21-1, and urinary bladder cancer antigen for detection of high-grade bladder carcinoma. Urology, 72, 1159-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2008.04.009
- Glybchenko PV, Shakhpazian NK, Ponukalin AN, Zakharova NB (2011). Molecular markers for the diagnosis of non-muscle invasive bladder cancer. Klin Lab Diagn, 5, 16-20.
- Hyrsl L, Zavada J, Zavadova Z, et al (2009). Soluble form of carbonic anhydrase IX in transtional cell carcinoma of urinary tract. Neoplasma, 56, 298-302. https://doi.org/10.4149/neo_2009_04_29
- Kim TS, Rhew HY, Hwang HY (2011). Pilot study of the clinical significance of serum and urinary her-2/neu protein in bladder cancer patients. Korean J Urol, 52, 815-8. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2011.52.12.815
- Kurosky A, Barnett DR, Lee TH, et al (1980). Covalent structure of human haptoglobin: a serine protease homolog. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 77, 3388-92. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.77.6.3388