- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
General Health Related Quality of Life and Associated Factors among Prostate Cancer Patients in Two Tertiary Medical Centers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: A Cross-sectional Study
- Isa, Mohamad Rodi (Population Health and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Teknology, MARA) ;
- Ming, Moy Foong (Julius Centre University Malaya, Department of Social & Preventive Medicine) ;
- Razack, Azad Hassan Abdul (Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya) ;
- Zainuddin, Zulkifli Mohd (Department of Surgery, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (UKMMC)) ;
- Zainal, Nur Zuraida (Department of Psychological Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Malaya)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Measurement of quality of life among prostate cancer patients helps the health care providers to understand the impact of the disease in the patients' own perspective. The main aim of this study is to measure the quality of life among prostate cancer patients at University Malaya Medical Center (UMMC) and Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre (UKMMC) and to ascertain the association factors for physical coefficient summary (PCS) and mental coefficient summary (MCS). A hospital based, cross sectional study using the Short Form-36 (SF-36) questionnaire was conducted over a period of 6 months. A total of 193 respondents were recruited. Their total quality of life score was
Health related quality of life;associated factors;prostate cancer;Kuala Lumpur;Malaysia
- Vinay K, Abul KA, Nelson F, Stanley LR, Ramzi S (2005). Genitourinary system. In Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease. Eds Nelson FR & Cotran (7th ed.) Elseivier Saunders, Philadelphia.
- Ware EJ, Sherbourne CD (1992). The MOS 36-item Short Form Health Survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual Framework and Item Selection. Med Care, 30, 473-83. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- WHOQOL Group (1998). The World Health Organization Quality of Life Assessment (WHOQOL): development and general psychometric properties. Social Sci and Med, 46, 1569-85 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(98)00009-4
- Zainal-Arifin O, Nor-Saleha IT (2011). Natrional Cancer Registry. Malaysia Cancer Statistics - Data and Figure 2007. Putrajaya: National Cancer Registry. Ministry of Health, Malaysia
- Marcus LQ, David FP (2005). Quality of life in patients with localized prostate cancer. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations, 23, 208-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urolonc.2005.03.003
- Mark SL, Hays RD, Fink A, et al (1998). The UCLA Prostate Cancer Index: development, reliability, and validity of a health-related quality of life measure. Med Care, 36, 1002-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199807000-00007
- Markus Z, Antje L, Jens-Uwe S, et al (2010). The relationship of quality of life and distress in prostate cancer patients compared to the general population. Psychosoc, 30, 7.
- Michael P, Karin F, Bernd G, et al (2009). Impact of age and comorbidities on health-related quality of life for patients with prostate cancer: evaluation before a curative treatment. BMC Cancer, 9, 296. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-296
- Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (2011). University Hospitals under Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia. http://www.mohe.gov.my.
- Mohd-Nizam S, Shamsul-Azhar S, Zulkifli MZ (2009). Risk factors for prostate cancer in Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Medical Centre: a case-control study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 1015-20.
- Monika B, Jordi A, Giovanni A, et al (1998). Translating health status questionnaires and evaluating their quality: the iqola project approach. J Clinical Epidemiol, 51, 913-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0895-4356(98)00082-1
- Nasser I, Abu-El-Noor (2010). Quality of Life and barrier to Health Care of Prostate Cancer Survivors Residing in Gaza Strip. Unpublished PhD thesis. University of Akron.
- Patrick DL, Erickson P (1990). Assessing health-related quality of life for clinical decision-making. In Quality of life assessment:Key issues in the 1990's. Eds Walker SR and Rosser RM. Kluwer Academic Publishers. Dordrecht (The Netherlands).
- Peter CA, Neil KA, Martin JM, Susan DK, Ware JE (1997). Health related quality of life among patients with metastatic prostate cancer. Urology, 49, 207-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0090-4295(96)00485-2
- Ravi JK, Al-Baha B, David EC (2004). Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Business Briefing: US Oncology Review 2004:1-6.
- Razvan B, Viorel B, Alis D, Mircea B (2007). Prostate cancer: epidemiology, etiology, pathology, diagnosis and prognosis. TMJ, 57, 200-10.
- Richard MH, Frank DG, David FP, et al (2004). Cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons of health-related quality of life between patients with prostate carcinoma and matched controls. Cancer, 101, 2011-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.20608
- Schag CA, Ganz PA, Wing DS, Sim MS, Lee JJ (1994). Quality of life in adult survivors of lung, colon and prostate cancer. Qual Life Rest, 3, 127-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00435256
- Shunichi N, Yoichi A (2010). Health-related quality of life in men with localized prostate cancer. Int J Urology, 17, 125-38. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1442-2042.2009.02437.x
- Stephen JW, James FM, John EB (2001). Using the SF-36 with older adults: a cross sectional community based survey. Age and Ageing, 30, 337-43. https://doi.org/10.1093/ageing/30.4.337
- Vera N (2007). Epidemiology of prostate cancer. Recent Results Cancer Res, 175, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-540-40901-4_1
- Calman KC (1984). Quality of Life in cancer patients - An Hypothesis. J Medical Ethic, 10, 124-7 https://doi.org/10.1136/jme.10.3.124
- Cancer Research UK (2010). CancerStats Key Facts: Prostate. http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats (2010).
- Cella DF, Tulsky DS, Gray G, et al (1993). The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: development and validation of the general measure. J Clin Oncol, 11, 570-9
- Cleary PD, Morrissey G, Oster G (1995). Health-related quality of life in patients with advanced prostate cancer: a multinational perspective. Qual Life Res, 4, 207-20 https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02260860
- David CM, Martin GS, Rodney LD, et al (2005). Long-term outcomes among Localized Prostate Cancer Survivors: Health-Related Quality-of-Life Changes After Radical Prostatectomy, External Radiation, and Brachytherapy. J Clin Oncol, 23, 2271-80
- David FP, Mark SL, Deborah PL, et al (1998). Transitions in health-related quality of life during the first nine months after diagnosis with prostate cancer. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 1, 134-43. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.pcan.4500228
- David FP, Mark SL, Neil KA (2003). Health Related Quality of Life in Men with Prostate Cancer. J Urology, 169, 1653-61 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ju.0000061964.49961.55
- David PS, Madeleine TK, Sam E, et al (2009). Quality of life three years after diagnosis of localised prostate cancer: population based cohort study. Bri Med J, 339, 1-12.
- David TE, Stephen JL, Vicki SH (2001). Early quality of life in patients with localized prostate carcinoma: an examination of treatment-related, demographic, and psychosocial factors. Cancer, 92, 1451-9. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20010915)92:6<1451::AID-CNCR1469>3.0.CO;2-R
- Gabriel PH, Wael AS (1997). Epidemiology of prostate cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 47, 273-87. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.47.5.273
- George M, Sander G (1993). Simulation study of confounderselection strategies. Am J Epidemiology, 138, 923-36.
- Gerard CCL (2003). Cancer in Malaysia -there is light at the end of the tunnel. Med J Malaysia, 58, 632-5.
- Glen SR, Deborah SR (2005). The Encyclopedia of Men's Health. New York: Fact on File, Inc.
- Gunnar S, Fred H, Jan A, et al (2002). Quality of life after Radical prostatectomy or watchful waiting. N Engl J Med, 347, 790-6. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa021483
- Harry WH (1997). Quality of Life in Prostate Cancer Patients. CA Cancer J Clin, 47, 207-17. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.47.4.207
- Hsing AW, Chokkalingam AP (2006). Prostate cancer epidemiology. Front Biosci, 11, 1388-413. https://doi.org/10.2741/1891
- James AT, Jack AC (1998). Quality of life in prostate cancer. Eur J Cancer, 41, 922-31.
- Jan-Erik D, Aus G (2008). Prostate cancer. The Lancet, 371, 1710-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60729-1
- Jayadevappa R, Chhatre S, Whittington R, et al (2006). Healthrelated quality of life and satisfaction with care among older men treated for prostate cancer with either radical prostatectomy or external beam radiation therapy. BJU Int, 96, 43-7.
- American Cancer Society (2010). Cancer Facts & Figure 2010. Atlanta: American Cancer Society http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/ document/acspc-026238.pdf.
- Anne M (2010). Screening for Prostate Cancer. Review against programme appraisal criteria for the UK National Screening Committee (UK NSC) http://www.screening.nhs.uk/policies.
- Bratt O (2002). Hereditary prostate cancer: clinical aspects. J Urol., 168(3), 906-13 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)64541-7