- Volume 13 Issue 12
DOI QR Code
siRNA-mediated Inhibition of hTERC Enhances Radiosensitivity of Cervical Cancer
- Chen, Min (Department of Cancer Radiotherapy, The 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University) ;
- Xing, Li-Na (Department of Cancer Radiotherapy, The 2nd Affiliated Hospital of Harbin Medical University)
- Published : 2012.12.31
Background: To investigate the influence of telomerase activity, apoptosis, radiosensitivity of cervical cancer after siRNA-mediated knockdown of telomerase RNA and evaluate in vivo growth with gene interference. Methods: We studied siRNA-targeting-telomerase RNA transfection into the Hela cell line. Expression of hTERC mRNA was detected by RT-PCR and telomerase activity was measured by the TRAP assay. Growth inhibition was determined by MTT assay and radiosensitivity of the cervical cancer cells was examined by colony formation assay. In addtion, effects of hTERC inhibition in vivo were studied by injection of siRNA-transfected Hela cells into nude mice. Results: The hTERC siRNA effectively downregulated the expression of hTERC mRNA and also reduced the telomerase activity to 30% of the untreated control vlaue. The viability of hTERC siRNA transfected Hela cells was reduced by 44.7% after transfection. After radiation treatment, the radiosensitivity of Hela cells with hTERC knockdown was increased. In vivo, the tumors developing from the hTERC siRNA-transfected cells were of reduced size, indicating that the hTERT siRNA also depressed the tumorigenic potential of the Hela cells. Conclusions: Our results supported the concept of siRNA-mediated inhibition of telomerase mRNA which could inhibit the expression of hTERC and telomerase activity. Furthermore, radiosensitivity was upregulated after knockdown the hTERC in vivo and in vitro.
- Alameda F, Espinet B, Corzo C, et al (2009). 3q26 (hTERC) gain studied by fluorescence in situ hybridization as a persistenceprogression indicator in low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion cases. Hum Pathol, 40, 1474-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.humpath.2009.03.013
- Aravindan N, Veeraraghavan J, Madhusoodhanan R, et al (2011). Curcumin regulates low-linear energy transfer gammaradiation- induced NFkappaB-dependent telomerase activity in human neuroblastoma cells. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 79, 1206-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2010.10.058
- Blackburn EH (2005). Telomeres and telomerase: Their mechanisms of action and the effects of altering their functions. FEBS Letters, 579, 859-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.febslet.2004.11.036
- Cairney CJ, Keith WN (2008). Telomerase redefined: integrated regulation of hTR and hTERT fortelomere maintenance and telomerase activity. Biochimie, 90, 13-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2007.07.025
- Cristofari G, Lingner J (2006). Telomere length homeostasis requires that tel-omerase levels are limiting. Embo J, 25, 565-74. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.emboj.7600952
- Dong X, Liu A, Zer C, et al (2009). siRNA inhibition of telomerase enhances the anti-cancer effect of doxorubicin in breast cancer cells. BMC Cancer, 9, 133-42. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-9-133
- Feng J, Funk WD, Wang SS, et al (1995). The RNA component of human telomerase. Science, 269, 1236-41. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7544491
- Gandellini P, Folini M, Bandiera R, et al (2007). Downregulation of human telomerase reverse transcriptase through specific activation of RNAi pathway quickly results in cancer cell growth impairment. Biochem Pharmacol, 73, 1703-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bcp.2007.01.035
- Gao L, Zhu Y, Liu SP et al (2011). [Detection of human telomerase RNA component gene by fluorescent in situ hybridization for screening of cervical lesions]. Zhonghua Bing Li Xue Za Zhi, 40, 104-7
- George J, Banik NL, Ray SK (2010). Knockdown of hTERT and concurrent treatment with interferon-gamma inhibited proliferation and invasion of human glioblastoma cell lines. Int J Biochem Cell Biol, 42, 1164-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocel.2010.04.002
- Heselmeyer-Haddad K, Janz V, Castle PE, et al (2003). Detection of genomic amp lifieation of the human telomerase gene (TERC) in cytologic specimens as a genetic test for the diagnosis of cervical dysp lasia. Am J of Pathol, 163, 1406-16.
- Meng E, Taylor B, Ray A, et al (2012). Targeted inhibition of telomerase activity combined with chemotherapy demonstrates synergy in eliminating ovarian cancer spheroid-forming cells. Gynecol Oncol, 124, 598-605 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ygyno.2011.11.018
- Mo Y, Gan Y, Song S, et al (2003). Simul-taneous targeting of telomeres and telomerase as a cancer therapeutic approach. Cancer Res, 63, 579-85.
- Nakamura M, Masutomi K, Kyo S, et al (2005). Efficient inhibition of human tel-omerase reverse transcriptase expression by RNA interfer-ence sensitizes cancer cells to ionizing radiation and chemotherapy. Hum Gene Ther, 16, 859-68. https://doi.org/10.1089/hum.2005.16.859
- Natarajan S, Chen Z, Wancewicz EV, Monia BP, Corey DR (2004). Telomerase reverse transcriptase(hTERT) mRNA and telomerase RNA (hTR) as target for downregulation of telomerase activity. Oligonucleotides, 14, 263-73. https://doi.org/10.1089/oli.2004.14.263
- Ogawa Y, Nishioka A, Hamada N, et al (1998). Changes in telomerase activity of advanced cancers of oral cavity and oropharynx during radiation therapy: Correlation with clinical outcome. Int J Mol Med, 2, 301-7.
- Parkin DM, Bray F (2006). Chapter 2: The burden of HPVrelated cancers. Vaccine, 24, 11-25.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Ren X, Gavory G, Li H et al (2003). Identification of a new RNA. RNA interaction site for human telomerase RNA (hTR): structural implications for hTR accumulation and a dyskeratosis congenita point mutation. Nucleic Acids Res, 31, 6509-15. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkg871
- Rubio MA, Davalos AR, Campisi J (2004). Telomere length mediates the effects of telomerase on the cellular response to genotoxic stress. Exp Cell Res, 298, 17-27. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yexcr.2004.04.004
- Slijepcevic P, Al-Wahiby S (2005). Telomere biology: Integrating chromosomal end protection with DNA damage response. Chromosoma, 114, 275-85. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00412-005-0338-4
- de Souza Nascimento P, Alves G, Fiedler W (2006). Telomerase inhibi-tion by an siRNA directed against hTERT leads to telomere attrition in HT29 cells. Oncol Rep, 16, 423-8.
- Tong AW, Zhang YA, Nemunaitis J (2005). Small interfering RNA for experimental cancer therapy. Curr Opin Mol Ther, 7, 114-24.
- Zhang PH, Zou L, Tu ZG (2006). RNAi-hTERT inhibition hepatocellu-lar carcinoma cell proliferation via decreasing telomerase activity. J Surg Res, 131, 143-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2005.09.017
- Zhang YA, Nemunaitis J, Samuel SK, et al (2006). Anti-tumor activity of an oncolytic adenovirus-delivered onco-gene small interfering RNA. Cancer Res, 66, 9736-43. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-06-1617
- Zheng L, Liu AL, Qi T, et al (2010). Human telomerase RNA gene amplification detection increases the specificity of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia screening. Int J Gynecol Cancer, 20, 912-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/IGC.0b013e3181e5c424
- Low Level of TERC Gene Amplification between Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia Patients Resistant and Respond to Imatinib Mesylate Treatment vol.15, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.4.1863
- hTERT gene knockdown enhances response to radio- and chemotherapy in head and neck cancer cell lines through a DNA damage pathway modification vol.8, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-018-24503-y