- Volume 20 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Development Directions of U-City Competitiveness Index
- Kim, Kirl (Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements) ;
- Kwak, Su-Jung (Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements) ;
- Shin, Dong-Bin (Anyang University)
- Received : 2012.01.31
- Accepted : 2012.02.22
- Published : 2012.03.31
This study ultimately aims to suggest directions for development of U-City Competitiveness Index through thorough analyses of U-City competitiveness concepts and previous research in U-City-related index. In an attempt to reach the aforementioned goals, the concept of U-City competitiveness is presented based on existing publications on informatization age, future city, and U-City. Next, insights on the development of U-City Competitiveness Index are provided via analysis of research on indices regarding U-City and future city. Finally, the process of developing UCity Competitiveness Index and cautionary comments for each developmental step has been provided. Based on the research results, U-City competitiveness refers to the ability to respond to demands of residents in a timely manner as well as to manage U-City, ICT, U-City infrastructure, and U-City services that maximizes the efficiency of urban space management. In order for proper assessment of these criteria, development of assessment tools, selection of indices, standardization, allocation of weight per index, and construction of assessment framework are required.
Grant : U-City Development Project
Supported by : Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs
- Caragliu, A., Del Bo, C. and Nijkamp, P., 2009, Smart Cities in Europe, Proc. of the 3rd Central European Conference in Regional Science.
- Carvalho, L., 2012, Urban Competitiveness, U‐City Strategies and the Development of Technological Niches in Songdo, South Korea, in Melih Bulu(ed.), 2012, City Competitiveness and Improving Urban Subsystems: Technologies and Applications, IGI Global, Hershey, PA, pp.197‐216.
- Giffinger, R., Fertner, C., Kramar, H., Kalasek, R., Pichler‐Milanovic, N., and Meijers, E., 2007, Smart Cities‐Ranking of European Medium‐Sized Cities, Center of Regional Science, Vienna University of Technology, pp.5-14, 22-23.
- Hong, H.J. and Shim, J.H., 2010, Future City via Smart City, National Information Society Agency, pp.3-15.
- Intelligent Community Forum, 2006, What is an Intelligent Community.
- Kim, K., Chun, J.Y., Shin, D.B., Lim, S.Y., 2011,Research Trends of U‐City Theses in Korea and Oversea, Journal of the Korean Society for Geo‐ Spatial Information System, Vol.19, No.1, pp.53-61.
- KRIHS, 2012, Research Trends on U‐City Index, UCity e‐Report, Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements, Vol.1, pp.10-19.
- Lee, S.H. and Leem, Y.T., 2010, Ubiquitous City Strategic Roadmapping Model, Journal of Korea Planners Association, Vol.45, No.6, pp.179-190.
- Malecki E.J., 2007, Cities and Regions Competing in the Global Economy: Knowledge and Local Development Policies, Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Vol.25, pp.638-654. https://doi.org/10.1068/c0645
- Shin, D.B., 2011, A Study on the Change of Urban Space and the Direction of Urban Planning in the UCity Age, Korea Research Institute for Human Settlements, pp.13-19, 67-75.
- Taipei Institute for Information Industry, 2010, Smart City Index & Development, https://www.intelligentcommunity.org/clientuploads/PDFs/BBE201 0‐Workshop‐Yueh‐III.pdf
- Van Den Berg, L. and Braun, E., 1999, Urban Competitiveness, Marketing and the Need for Organizing Capacity, Urban Studies, Vol.36, No.5-6, pp.987-999. https://doi.org/10.1080/0042098993312
- Webster, D. and Muller, L., 2000, Urban Cometitiveness Assessment in Developing Country Urban Regions: The Road Forward, Towards a Methodology for Conducting City Development Strategies, The World Bank, Washington D.C., pp.1-42.