- Volume 50 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Thermal Adsorption and Desorption Characteristics of Industrial Odorants using Activated Carbon
활성탄을 이용한 산업체 악취물질의 열적 흡탈착 연구
- Kim, Joo Yeon (Department of Applied Chemistry and Biological Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Rhee, Young Woo (Graduate School of Green Energy Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Han, Mun Hee (Graduate School of Green Energy Technology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.11.22
- Accepted : 2012.01.25
- Published : 2012.06.01
Desorption reaction characteristics of the commercial activated carbons which were used for the removal of industrial odorants were investigated. BET specific surface area was analyzed to investigate the chemicophysical property of activated carbon. Adsorptivity of activated carbon was estimated by iodine number. Thermogravimetric analyzer (TGA) was used to investigate the desorption characteristics. Activation energies and reaction orders for reaction characteristics according to adsorption and desorption of activated carbons were estimated by employing the Friedman method and Freeman-Carroll method. Adsorptivity of reprocessed activated carbons were significantly lower than that of fresh activated carbons. In this study, it was found that the activation energies were 15.9~23.4 kJ/mol in Friedman method and 22.7~33.8 kJ/mol in Freeman-Carroll method.
Supported by : 충남대학교
- Rhee, Y. W., "The Study of Management Plan and Appropriate Replacement Cycle for the Activated Carbon and Scrubbing Liquid in Shiwha/Banwal Industrial Complex," Siheung Environmental Technology Development Center(2008).
- Yang, D. J., Kim, J. K., Kil, I. S., Yoon, S. M., Kim, J. Y. and Rhee, Y. W., "Desorption Characteristics of Waste Activated Carbon Collected from Chemicals Manufacturing Industries in Shiwha/Banwal Industrial Complex," Korean Journal of Odor Research and Engineering, 8(4), 173-178(2009).
- Kim, J. Y., Yoon, S. M., Park, K. Y., Yoon, S. K., Kil, I. S., Park, H. J. and Rhee, Y. W., "Investigation on Desorption Characteristics of VOCs Adsorbed on Used Activated Carbons Collected From Painting Process," Korean Chem. Eng. Res.(HWAHAK KONGHAK), 48(6), 752-756(2010).
- Freeman, E. S. and Carroll, J., "The Application of Thermo-analytical Techniques to Reaction Kinetics - the Thermo-Gravimetric Evalution of the Kinetics of the Decomposition of Calcium Oxalte Monohydrate," J. Phy. Chem., 62, 394-397(1958). https://doi.org/10.1021/j150562a003
- Ania, C. O., Menendez, J. A., Parra, J. B. and Pis, J. J., "Microwave-Induced Regeneration of Activated Carbons Polluted with Phenol. A Comparison with Conventional Thermal Regeneration," Carbon, 42(7), 1383-1387(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbon.2004.01.010
- Chih, J. and Jou, G., "Application of Activated Carbon in a Microwave Radiation Field to Treat Trichloro Ethylene," Carbon, 36(11), 1643-1648(1998). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(98)00158-4
- Rhee, Y. W., "Investigation on Recovery of Energy Resources From Waste Activated Carbons Generated in VOCs Adsorption Towers of Shiwha/Banwal Industrial Complex," Siheung Environmental Technology Development Center(2009).
- Moretti, E. C. and Mukhopadhyay, N., "VOC Contral; Current Practices and Future Trends," Chem. Eng. Prog., 89, 20-26(1993).