- Volume 50 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Size Verification of Small and Large Bubbles in a Bubble Column
기포탑에서 작은기포와 큰기포의 크기 구별
- Seo, Myung Jae (School of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jin, Hae-Ryong (School of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lim, Dae Ho (School of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lim, Ho (School of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kang, Yong (School of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Jun, Ki-Won (Green Chemical Technology Division, Korea Research Institute of Chemical Technology)
- 서명재 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 진해룡 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 임대호 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 임호 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 강용 (충남대학교 화학공학과) ;
- 전기원 (한국화학연구원)
- Received : 2011.08.26
- Accepted : 2011.09.30
- Published : 2012.04.01
Size verification of small and large bubbles in a bubble column was investigated by employing the dynamic gas disengagement (DGD) method and dual electrical resistivity probe (DRP) method, simultancously. The holdups of large and small bubbles in the bubble column in a given operating condition were obtained by means of the DGD method by measuring the pressure drop variation in the column with a variation of time after stopping the gas input into the column. The size and frequency of bubbles were measured by the DRP method in the same operating condition, from which the bubble holdup of each range of size was obtained. The verification of size in determining the large or small bubbles was decided by comparing the holdups of large or small bubbles measured by the DGD method with that measured by the DRP method. Filtered compressed air and tap water were used as a gas and a continuous liquid medium. The diameter and height of the bubble column were 0.102 m and 1.5 m, respectively. The demarcation size between the large and the small bubbles in the bubble column was 4.0~5.0 mm; the demarcation size was about 5.0 mm when the gas velocity was in the relatively low range, but about 4.0 mm when the gas velocity was in the relatively high range, within this experimental conditions.
Supported by : 한국에너지기술평가원(KETEP)
- Dechwer, W. D., Bubble Column Reactors, John Wiley and Sons Ltd.,(1992).
- Nigam, K. D. P. and Schumpe, A., Three-phase Spagered Reactors.
- Kim, S. D. and Kang, Y., "Hydrodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer in Inverse and Circulating Three-Phase Fluidized-Bed Reactors for Waste Water Treatment," Studies Sur. Sci. Cat, 159, 103-108 (2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-2991(06)81545-4
- Kang, Y., Lee, K. I., Shin, I. S., Son, S. M., Kim, S. D. and Jung, H., "Characterisics of Hydrodynamics, Heat and Mass Transfer in Three-phase Inverse Fluidized Beds," Korean Chem. Eng. Res. (HWAHAK KONGHAK), 46, 451-464(2008).
- Krishna, R. and Sie, S. T., "Design and Scale-up of the Fischer-Tropsch Bubble Column Slurry Reactor," Fuel Process. Technol., 64, 73-105(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-3820(99)00128-9
- Lim, D. H., Jang, J. H., Kang, Y. and Jun, K. W., "Axial and Radial Distributions of Bubble Holdup in a Slurry Bubble Column with Pilot Plant Scale," Korean Chem. Eng. Res. (HWAHAK KONGHAK), 49, 200-205 (2011). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2011.49.2.200
- Jin, H. R., Song, Y. H., Kang, Y., Jung, H. and Lee, H. T., "Holdup Characteristics of Small Bubbles in a Viscous Slurry Bubble Column," Korean Chem. Eng. Res. (HWAHAK KONGHAK), 49, 83-88(2011). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2011.49.1.083
- Behkish, A., Lemoine, R., Schabiaque, L., Qukaci, R. and Morsi, B. L., "Gas Holdup and Bubble Size Behavior in a Large-Scale Slurry Bubble Column Reactor Operating with on Organic Liquid under Elevated Pressure and Temperature," Chem. Eng. J., 128, 69-84(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2006.10.016
- Chem, Z., Zheng, C. and Hofmann, H., "Local Bubble Behavior in Three-Phase Fluidized Beds," Can. J. Chem. Eng., 76, 315-318 (1998). https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450760220
- Matsuura, A. and Fan, L. S., "Distribution of Bubble Properties in a Gas-Liquid-Solid Fluidized Bed," AIChE J., 30, 894-903 (1984). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.690300604
- Saberi, S., Shakourzaduu, K., Bastoul, D. and Militzer, J., "Bubble size and Velocity Measurement in Gas-Liquid Systems: Application of fiber optic technique to Pilot Plant Scale," Can. J. Chem. Eng., 70, 253-257(1995).
- Wang, T., Wang, J., Yang, W. and Jin, Y., "Bubble Behavior in Gas-Liquid-Solid Three-phase Circulating Fluidized Beds," Chem. Eng. J., 84, 397-404(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S1385-8947(01)00129-2
- Zhang, L., Li, T., Ying, W. and Fang, D., "Rising and Decending Bubble Size Reactor," Chem. Eng. Res. Des., 86, 1143-1154(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2008.04.006
- De Swart, J. W. A., Van Vliet, R. E. and Krishina, R., "Size, Structure and Dynamics of Large Bubbles in a Two-Dimensional Slurry Bubble Column," Chem. Eng. Sci., 51, 4619-4629(1996). https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-2509(96)00265-5
- Krishna, R. and Van Bate, J. M., "Simulting the Motion of Gas Bubbles in a Liquid," Nature, 398, 208(1999). https://doi.org/10.1038/18353
- Krishna, R., Van Baten, J. M., Wrseanu, M. I. and Ellenkerger, J., "Design and Scale up of a Bubble Column Slurry Reactor for Fischer - Tropsch Synthesis," Chem. Eng. Sci., 56, 537-545(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0009-2509(00)00258-X
- Son, S. M., Song, P. S., Lee, C. G., Kang. S. H., Kang, Y. and Kusakabe, K., "Bubbling Behavior in Gas-Liquid Countercurrent Bubble Column Bioreactors," J. Chem. Eng. Japan, 37, 990-998(2004). https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.37.990
- Son, S. M., Kang, S. H., Kim, U. Y., Kang, Y. and Kim, S. D., "Axial Variation and Distribution of Bubble Properties in Gas/ Liquid Countercurrent Fluidized Beds," Korean Chem. Eng. Res. (HWAHAK KONGHAK), 42, 235-240(2004).
- Son, S. M., Kang, S. H., Kim, U. Y., Kang, Y. and Kim, S. D., "Bubble Properties in Three-Phase Inverse Fluidized Beds with Viscous Liquid Medium," Chem. Eng. Processing, 46, 763-741(2007).
- Shin, K. S., Song, P. S., Lee, C. G., Kang, S. H., Kang, Y., Kim, S. D. and Kim, S. J., "Heat Transfer Coefficient in Viscous Liquid-Solid Circulation Fluidized Beds," AIChE J., 51, 671-677(2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/aic.10291
- Cho, Y. J., Song, P. S., Kim, S. H., Kang, Y. and Kim, S. D., "Stochastic Analysis of Gas-Liquid-Solid Flow in Three-Phase Circulating Fluidized Beds," J. Chem. Eng. Japan, 34, 254-261(2001). https://doi.org/10.1252/jcej.34.254