- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
A New Expression of Near-Field Gain Correction Using Photonic Sensor and Planar Near-Field Measurements
- Hirose, Masanobu (National Metrology Institute of Japan, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology) ;
- Kurokawa, Satoru (National Metrology Institute of Japan, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.08.25
- Accepted : 2012.03.05
- Published : 2012.03.31
We propose a new expression of the near-field gain correction to calculate the on-axis far-field gain from the onaxis near-field gain for a directive antenna. The new expression is represented by transversal vectorial transmitting characteristics of two antennas that are measured by planar near-field equipment. Due to the advantages of the photonic sensor, the utilization of the new expression realizes the measurements of the on-axis far-field gains for two kinds of double ridged waveguide horn antennas within 0.1 dB deviation from 1 GHz to 6 GHz without calibrating the photonic sensor system.
Near-Field Gain;On-Axis Gain;Photonic Sensor;Planar Near-Field Measurements
- G. E. Evans, Antenna Measurement Techniques, Artech House, pp. 19-22 and p. 66, 1990.
- T. S. Chu, R. A. Semplak, "Gain of electromagnetic horns," Bell System Technical Journal, vol. 44, no. 3, pp.527-537, Mar. 1965. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1538-7305.1965.tb01675.x
- A. C. Ludwig, R. A. Norman, "A new method for calculating correction factors for near-field gain measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 623-628, Sep. 1973. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1973.1140552
- T. Uno, S. Adachi, "Range distance requirements for large antenna measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennasand Propagation, vol. 37, no. 6, pp. 707-720, Jun. 1989. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.29357
- G. Mayhew-Ridgers, J. W. Odendaal, and J. Joubert, "Horn antenna analysis as applied to the evaluation of the gain-transfer method," IEEE Trans. Instrumentation and Measurement, vol. 49, no. 5, pp. 949-958, Oct. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/19.872913
- A. C. Newell, R. C. Baird, and P. F. Wacker, "Accurate measurement of antenna gain and polarization at reduced distances by an extrapolation tequnique," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 418-431, Jul. 1973. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.1973.1140519
- D. M. Kern, Plane-Wave Scattering-Matrix Theory of Antennas and Antenna-Antenna Interactions, National Bureau of Standards Monograph 162, Ch. 2, 1981
- A. C. Newell, "Error analysis techniques for planar near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 754-768, Jun. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/8.1177
- M. Hirose, T. Ishizone, and K. Komiyama, "Antenna pattern measurements using photonic sensor for planar near-field measurement at X band," IEICE Trans. Communions, vol. E87-B, no. 3, pp. 727-734, Mar. 2004.
- R. E. Collin, Antennas and Radiowave Propagation, McGraw-Hill, pp. 284-286 and pp. 303-304, 1985.
- M. Hirose, S. Kurokawa, "Far-field gain measurement using a new expression of near-field gain correction and photonic sensor," Proceedings of ISAP 2011, FrB2-1, SE10_1002, Oct. 2011.
- FEKO, http://www.feko.info