- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Detection Probability for Conventional and Time-Reversal (TR) Radar Systems
- Yoo, Hyung-Ha (Graduate School of Information & Telecommunication. Inha University) ;
- Koh, Il-Suek (Dept. of Electronic Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2011.08.25
- Accepted : 2012.02.16
- Published : 2012.03.31
We compare the detection probabilities of the time-reversal(TR) detection system and the conventional radar system. The target is assumed to be hidden inside a random medium such as a forest. We propose a TR detection system based on the SAR(Synthetic Aperture Radar) algorithm. Unlike the conventional SAR images, the proposed TR-SAR system has an interesting property. Specifically, the target-related signal components due to the time-reversal refocusing characteristics, as well as some of clutter-related signal components are concentrated at the time-reversal reference point. The remaining clutter-related signal components are scattered around that reference point. In this paper, we model the random media as a collection of point scatterers to avoid unnecessary complexities. We calculate the detection probability of the TR radar system based on the proposed simple random media model.
Time-Reversal;Target Detection;SAR;TR-SAR;Detection Probability
- M. Fink, "Time-reversal ultrasonic fields-part I: basic principles," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr., Freq. Control, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 555-566, May 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.156174
- F. Wu, J. L. Thomas, and M. Fink, "Time-reversal ultrasonic fields-part II: Experimental results," IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr., Freq. Control, vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 567-578, May 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/58.156175
- E. Hecht, Optics, 4th Edition, Addison Wesley, pp. 230-232, 2002.
- M. Fink, G. Montaldo, and M. Tanter, "Time-reversal acoustics," Ultrason. Ferroelectr., Freq. Control Joint 50th Anniversary Conference, pp. 850-859, 2004.
- A. Derode, P. Roux, and M. Fink, "Robust acoustic time reversal with high-order multiple scattering," Physical Review Letters, vol. 75, no. 23, pp. 4206-4209, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.75.4206
- G. Lerosey, J. de Rosny, A. Tourin, A. Derode, G. Montaldo, and M. Fink, "Time-reversal of electromagnetic waves," Physical Review Letters, vol. 92, no. 19, pp. 193904-1-193904-3, May 2004. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevLett.92.193904
- Y. Jin, J. M. F. Moura, and N. O'donoughue, "Time reversal synthetic aperture radar imaging in multipath," ACSSC 2007, Nov. 2007.
- D. Liu, J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic target detection in uncertain media: time-reversal and minimum-variance algorithms," IEEE Trans. on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 934-944, Apr. 2007 https://doi.org/10.1109/TGRS.2006.890411
- D. Liu, G. Kang, L. Li, Y. Chen, S. Vasudevan, W. Joines, Q. Huo Liu, J. Krolik, and L. Carin, "Electromagnetic time-reversal imaging of a target in a cluttered environment," IEEE Trans. on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol. 53, no. 9, pp. 3058-3066, Sep, 2005.
- D. R. Sheen, L. P. Johnson, "Statistical and spatial properties of forest clutter measured with polarimetric synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," IEEE Trans. on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, vol. 30, no. 30, May 1992.
- M. Sekine, Y. Mao, Weibull Radar Clutter, Peter Peregrinus Ltd., pp. 4-47, 1990.