- Volume 12 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Optimal Throughput of Secondary Users over Two Primary Channels in Cooperative Cognitive Radio Networks
- Vu, Ha Nguyen (Department of Electronic Engineering, University of Ulsan) ;
- Kong, Hyung-Yun (Department of Electronic Engineering, University of Ulsan)
- Received : 2011.07.19
- Accepted : 2012.02.24
- Published : 2012.03.31
In this paper, we investigated the throughput of a cognitive radio network where two primary frequency channels (PCs) are sensed and opportunistically accessed by N secondary users. The sharing sensing member (SSM) protocol is introduced to sense both PCs simultaneously. According to the SSM protocol, N SUs (Secondary User) are divided into two groups, which allows for the simultaneous sensing of two PCs. With a frame structure, after determining whether the PCs are idle or active during a sensing slot, the SUs may use the remaining time to transmit their own data. The throughput of the network is formulated as a convex optimization problem. We then evaluated an iterative algorithm to allocate the optimal sensing time, fusion rule and the number of members in each group. The computer simulation and numerical results show that the proposed optimal allocation improves the throughput of the SU under a misdetection constraint to protect the PCs. If not, its initial date of receipt shall be nullified.
Cognitive Radio;Cooperative Spectrum Sensing;Rayleigh Fading Channel
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- S. Haykin, "Cognitive radio: brain-empowered wireless communications," Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Journal on, vol. 23, pp. 201-220, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/JSAC.2004.839380
- A. Ghasemi, E. S. Sousa, "Spectrum sensing in cognitive radio networks: requirements, challenges and design trade-offs [cognitive radio communications]," Communications Magazine, IEEE, vol. 46, pp. 32- 39, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/MCOM.2008.4623702
- D. Cabric, S. M. Mishra, and R. W. Brodersen, "Implementation issues in spectrum sensing for cognitive radios," in Signals, Systems and Computers, 2004, Conference Record of the Thirty-Eighth Asilomar. Conference on, pp. 772-776, vol. 1, 2004.
- Z. Wei, R. K. Mallik, and K. Ben Letaief, "Cooperative spectrum sensing optimization in cognitive radio networks," in Communications, 2008. ICC '08. IEEE International Conference on, pp. 3411-3415, 2008.
- Z. Wei, K. Ben Letaief, "Cooperative communications for cognitive radio networks," Proceedings of the IEEE, vol. 97, pp. 878-893, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPROC.2009.2015716
- L. Ying-Chang, Z. Yonghong, E. C. Y. Peh, and H. Anh Tuan, "Sensing-Throughput Tradeoff for Cognitive Radio Networks," Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 7, pp. 1326-1337, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TWC.2008.060869
- E. C. Y. Peh, L. Ying-Chang, and G. Yong Liang, "Optimization of cooperative sensing in cognitive radio networks: A sensing-throughput tradeoff view," in Communications, 2009. ICC '09. IEEE International Conference on, pp. 1-5, 2009.
- I. Kim, D. Kim, "Optimal allocation of sensing time between two primary channels in cognitive radio networks," Communications Letters, IEEE, vol. 14, pp. 297-299, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/LCOMM.2010.04.092464
- S. P. Boyd, L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization. Cambridge, UK New York: Cambridge University Press, 2004.
- A new scheme for compliance with TV white space regulations using Wi-Fi modules in a cognitive radio system vol.60, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1109/TCE.2014.7027288
- Protection of Incumbent Services and Its Impact on Coverage of TV Band Device Networks in TV White Space vol.38, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.16.0114.1303