- Volume 21 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Variations of Adsorption Characteristics of Binary Vapor According to Packing System of Double-layer Adsorption Bed
2중층 흡착층의 충전방법에 따른 2성분 증기의 흡착특성 변화
- Lee, Min-Gyu (Department of Chemical Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Lee, Song-Woo (Department of Chemical Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kam, Sang-Kyu (Department of Environmental Engineering, Jeju National University) ;
- Lee, Seok-Hee (Department of Chemical Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2011.11.08
- Accepted : 2012.02.01
- Published : 2012.03.31
This work is to study the variations of adsorption characteristics of binary vapor according to packing system of double-layer bed by fixed bed experiment. Breakthrough curves of single and binary vapor composed of acetone and benzene on single-layer and double-layer adsorption bed composed of activated carbon (AC) and silica-aluminar (SA) were compared. Adsorptions of binary vapor on double-layer bed were influenced by the differences of surface area between adsorbents as well as the polarity difference between adsorbent and adsorbate. The roll-up phenomenon of acetone vapor was happened by replacement with competing adsorption between acetone vapor and benzene vapor on AC bed, but it was not happened on SA bed because acetone vapor and benzene vapor had less difference in affinity with SA bed. The breakthrough times of acetone vapor and benzene vapor on AC/SA double-layer bed were three times and 1.4 times larger respectively than on SA/AC double-layer bed, the differences of breakthrough times were relatively larger than the equilibrium adsorption capacities according to packing system of double-layer bed.
Adsorption;Activated carbon;Silica-aluminar;Packing system;Double layer;Acetone;Benzene;Binary vapor
Supported by : 부경대학교
- Allen, T., 1990, Particle Size Measurement, 4th ed., Champman & Hall, London, 547-628.
- Khan, F. I., Ghoshal, A. K., 2000, Removal of volatile organic compound from polluted air, Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 13, 527-545. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(00)00007-3
- Kim, H. W., Lee, S. W., Lee, M. G., Cheon, J. K., 2007a, Variations of equilibrium adsorption capacities according to type and mixing fraction of binary mixed gas on activated carbon fixed-bed, J. Environ. Sci., 16(10), 1197- 1202. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2007.16.10.1197
- Lee, H. J., Lee, H. K., Park, G. I., Ro, S. G., Choi, H. S., Lee, Y. T., 1999, Adsorption property of water vapor on the modified natural zeolite, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Engrs, 21(4), 643-651.
- Lee, M. G., Lee, S. W., Lee, S. H., 2006, Comparison of vapor adsorption characteristics of acetone and toluene based on polarity in activated carbon fixed-bed reactor, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 23(5), 773-778. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02705926
- Lee, S. W., Bae, S. K, Kwon, J. H., Na, Y. S., An, C. D., Yoon, Y. S., Song, S. K., 2005a, Correlations between pore structure of activated carbon and adsorption characteristics of acetone vapor, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Engrs, 27(6), 620-625.
- Lee, S. W., Bae, S. K, Kwon, J. H., Na, Y. S., An, C. D., Yoon, Y. S., Song, S. K., 2005b, Adsorption characteristics of toluene vapor according to pore structure of zeolite 5A modified with hydrochloric acid, J. Korean Soc. Environ. Engrs, 27(8), 807- 812.
- Lee, S. W., Cheon, J. K., Park, H. J., Lee, M. G., 2008a, Adsorption characteristics of binary vapors among acetone, MEK, benzene, and toluene, Korean J. Chem. Eng., 25(5), 1154-1159. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-008-0190-3
- Lee, S. W., Kam, S. K., Lee, M. G., 2007b, Comparison of breakthrough characteristics for binary vapors composed of acetone and toluene based on adsorption intensity in activated carbon fixed-bed reactor, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 13(6), 911-916.
- Lee, S. W., Park, H. J., Lee, S. H., Lee, M. G., 2008b, Comparison of adsorption characteristics according to polarity difference of acetone vapor and toluene vapor on silica-aluminar fixed-bed reactor, J. Ind. Eng. Chem., 13, 10-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jiec.2007.08.001
- Lee, S. W., Na, Y. S., An, C. D., Lee, M. G., 2011a, Comparison of adsorption characteristics on zeolite 13X and silica-aluminar, J. Environ. Sci., 20(6), 729-736. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.6.729
- Lee, S. W., Na, Y. S., An, C. D., Lee, M. G., 2011b, Adsorption Characteristics of water vapor on zeolite, J. Environ. Sci., 20(5), 667-672. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2011.20.5.667
- Lim, J. K., Lee, S. W., Kam, S. K., Lee, D. W., Lee, M. G., 2005c, Adsorption characteristics of toluene vapor in fixed-bed activated carbon column, J. Environ. Sci., 14(1), 61-69. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2005.14.1.061
- Micromeritics, 1997, ASAP 2010 Manual.
- Removal Characteristics of Single and Binary Vapors of Acetone, Toluene, and Methyl Mercaptan by Cylindrical UV Reactor Installed with TiO2-Coated Perforated Plane vol.24, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5322/JESI.2015.24.3.317